The Fixed Edition of The Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Fixed Edition of The Morning After

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:36 am

That’s right, the fix is indeed in. I guess I shouldn’t complain because a loss helps the Pens’ cause, but there is no doubt in my mind that last night’s refs have a stake in the Leafs making the playoffs. It was an embarrassing display by them.

…Where to start? How about on the speed of whistles. There were two quick whistles that favored Tellqvist and two slow ones at the other end. This has to be intentional. Any time the puck was even close to being frozen in the Toronto end, the whistle went. But Fleury had to cover it for 30 seconds before it was blown dead. Total joke.

…Oh, then lets look at hitting from behind. That POS gutless no-name Leaf just totally accordioned when Cairns hit him. The biased refs, failing to see he was totally faking injury, give Cairns 5 and a game. Then Rita gets hit even harder from behind but has the guts to stay upright, and the buffoons don’t even call a penalty.

…Or how about the penalty shot call. The notion that Kilger had a clear breakaway from the blue line in was ludicrous. He was basically even with Scuderi, but they were coming from different angles. Either the incompetent refs don’t even know the rules, or, you got it, the fix was in.

…Oh, and we won’t even mention allowing them to get away with clutch and grab all night. How about what McCabe did to Sid? After all this, can there be any doubt that the fix was in?

…Somebody please tell Marc-André Fleury that patience is a virtue on penalty shots and shootouts.

…If one needs anymore proof that Craig Patrick is a moron, need I say more than Rob Scuderi and Brooks Orpik are playing point on the power play? I asked right after the deadline what they could possibly be thinking. Now we know. Or is this tank mode?

…Oh, and Konstantin Koltsov at center??? The sad fact is this might be one of the most disjointed rosters ever assembled.

…How is it that Niklas Nordgren was getting more ice time with a first place team than he has gotten with a last place team?

…New arena!!!!!
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby the wicked child on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:39 am

all I have to say about the officiating is that if you can utter the words "they're letting the boys play", you might as well turn off the tv.

There is no more retarded thing in sports than when nhl refs 'let the boys play'.

Toronto gets preferential treatment as it is, then they have to compound that with Wes Mccauley. They might as well have gone all the way and added a Devorski or 2.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,643
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: :scared:

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:44 am

After listening to the Seattle fans whine about losing the Super Bowl b/c of the refs, I will never blame a loss on officiating again.

Yeah, during last nights game the calls looked a little one sided, but did the Pens play well enough to win?

The Pens lost the game. Not the refs.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,194
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: The Fixed Edition of The Morning After

Postby DelPen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:56 am

Mad City Mike wrote:
…If one needs anymore proof that Craig Patrick is a moron, need I say more than Rob Scuderi and Brooks Orpik are playing point on the power play? I asked right after the deadline what they could possibly be thinking. Now we know. Or is this tank mode?



How is Therrien chosing to play Orpik and Scuderi on the point on a PP proof CP is a bad GM? You could point to any other reason but you make a HUGE leap to imply that CP is responsible for the lines Therrien puts out on a PP.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,694
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: The Fixed Edition of The Morning After

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:14 pm

DelPen wrote:How is Therrien chosing to play Orpik and Scuderi on the point on a PP proof CP is a bad GM?


Because the roster contains exactly no players other than Gonchar and Whitney capable of playing the point, so Therrien has no choice. And a buck to the first poster who can name the clueless GM that put the roster together.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

pens/leafs, almost play-off like in atmosphere

Postby penny lane on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:17 pm

whether the game was close due to their both having played saturday
or just good positional play... I thoroughly enjoyed the game. To me
it felt like a play-off game. :shock: that's been awhile.
I was really being vocally supportive, really thought pens would
score to tie/to win.

Power play missing Ryan Whitney; for whatever reason Sergei
slipped back into October Sergei. Couple PP not even a sniff
at setting for a shot. Like the roving Sidney at the point.
Pens PK , tenacious. R Malone won some big face-offs
& Andy Hilbert also good along with the tank that is KK. : :)

Marc-Andre made some spectacular saves; damn & double - d
that penalty shot.

pens may not have beaten the leafs but last night was the 3rd time
they've played, with 2 games won in OT and last night, so those
leafs should be learning to respect the pens.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,536
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Ready

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:20 pm

I couldn't care less about who's playing the point on the power play. Season's been over. I can live with Brooks and Rob on the point for the last dozen or so games. The guys they've replaced (Recchi and Jackman) absolutely had to go. As long as they're not part of the plan going into next season, there is no issue. Whitney and Gonchar will log most of the time next year, and from a defensive standpoint, Welch should be capable since he's played the point in Wilkes Barre.

Rather than ***** and moan about the refs - and I do think the penalty shot call was garbage - I'm just going to say I enjoyed the game. It was tight and intense the whole time. When was the last time the Pens played a close low-scoring game? I can't remember too many games this season that were that close late, and you just knew the next goal was going to do it. Good performances by Fleury and Tellqvist. The D only let up 23 shots, and while the offense didn't score, it generated some great chances. Let's not forget, they failed to score by only about a half second at the end of the first period. I would have liked the win, but after the way this season's gone, I'll just take good hockey. That's what we've been getting the last few weeks.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby DelPen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:35 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I couldn't care less about who's playing the point on the power play. Season's been over. I can live with Brooks and Rob on the point for the last dozen or so games. The guys they've replaced (Recchi and Jackman) absolutely had to go. As long as they're not part of the plan going into next season, there is no issue. Whitney and Gonchar will log most of the time next year, and from a defensive standpoint, Welch should be capable since he's played the point in Wilkes Barre.

Rather than ***** and moan about the refs - and I do think the penalty shot call was garbage - I'm just going to say I enjoyed the game. It was tight and intense the whole time. When was the last time the Pens played a close low-scoring game? I can't remember too many games this season that were that close late, and you just knew the next goal was going to do it. Good performances by Fleury and Tellqvist. The D only let up 23 shots, and while the offense didn't score, it generated some great chances. Let's not forget, they failed to score by only about a half second at the end of the first period. I would have liked the win, but after the way this season's gone, I'll just take good hockey. That's what we've been getting the last few weeks.


I also don't see any point in crying about the refs. The occasional quip that the refs blow is fine but to harp on it after the game is over has become rather lame. I want to see development and solid effort for the rest of the year. We have relly seen that from Malone, Fleury, Rita and Armstrong leading into next year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,694
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:46 pm

DelPen wrote:I also don't see any point in crying about the refs. The occasional quip that the refs blow is fine but to harp on it after the game is over has become rather lame. I want to see development and solid effort for the rest of the year. We have relly seen that from Malone, Fleury, Rita and Armstrong leading into next year.


I rarely do either but last night it was so blatant as to be obvious what their goal was.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:49 pm

MCM - it appears we'll never be able to convince the blind.

CP sucks and that's the bottom line.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:19 pm

Bowser wrote:MCM - it appears we'll never be able to convince the blind.

CP sucks and that's the bottom line.


Nope, people are blinded by his genius of 1990-92. And make no mistake, he was a genius in those years. But not anymore. The game has changed. he hasn't. Look at the pathetic group of puck-carrying d-men he has now. Count how many centers are on the roster. 'Nuf said. It has gotten so bad he doesn't even know how to construct a roster.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:26 pm

MCM - When I made that long post the other day, I think I made my thoughts pretty clear that CP isn't a genius. He was forced into hiring qualified hockey men into positions of decision-making that with the combination of his strong desire to shed the "family name label", made deals in a two year span that were strong for the short term.

It is sad because Lemieux has hired some quality guys like Ken Sawyer and Tom McMillan but the most important aspect is left to a man who refuses to hire quality individuals to be his assistants.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby Scott on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:28 pm

the Refs didnt have an affect on the anemic offsense again. They didnt control the fact that we had a low shot total,,,AGAIN.

I dont think we hit 20 shots the other night against Jersey. That is one of MT's really ugly spots. His offense at times can be so predictable and yawning.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,920
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:33 pm

The Penguins offense sucks, that can't be debated. What can be debated is Toronto was given free reign to grab the Penguins all over the ice. The refs let the Pens get away with some stuff too, so it wasn't all in favor of the Leafs.

Bad teams eventually have to overcome the officials because winning teams have historically been given the benefit of the doubt.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 7,963
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 am

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:40 pm

Bowser wrote:The Penguins offense sucks, that can't be debated. What can be debated is Toronto was given free reign to grab the Penguins all over the ice. The refs let the Pens get away with some stuff too, so it wasn't all in favor of the Leafs.

Bad teams eventually have to overcome the officials because winning teams have historically been given the benefit of the doubt.


No doubt about that. I have serious doubts that guys like Surovy and Oulette belong in the NHL. They have been total zeroes after their strong starts. I had hopes for Hilbert, but he has done nothing after that first game. Crosby is the only talented offensive player they have. Period.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Shinoix on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Our lack of offense can be traced to our lack of breakout and lack of play in the neutral zone.

I just rewatched the game, and it's amazing how fast Toronto can move the puck up ice, tape to tape. Whereas the Pens, chip it, flip it, or give it away.

Joe "Ice the Puck" Melichar can't make a breakout pass to save his life. How many times did he just straight up ice the puck last night on breakout passes? This can also be attributed to the fact that our wingers were up high all night, even the announcers were talking about how at one point Scuderi was waiting behind the net for his teammates to come back, but nobody would!

Also, our play on the boards STUNK last night. Our d ring the puck around the boards and our wingers cannot trap it, pass it, or chip it out. It's terrible to watch.

Another thing!! Ok, so our PK has been decent lately, but still not decent enough to get us out of 30th in the league. Here's another reason why; when we gain possesion of the puck, we turn, look, think, then end up not getting it out because we wasted too much time. When your PK is last in the league, you should not be looking for offensive options when you gain the puck in your end, it should be on your stick and FIRED down the ice immediately. Malone was killing me last night with that. He'd get the puck, turn, hardly skate, look around, and then boom, the puck is stolen again, or he can't clear it out hard enough. If our PK was middle of the pack, then I'd say fine, take a chance once in a while, look for a shorthanded chance, take a chance, but when you're 30th in the league, if you get the puck, you get it out as fast as you can. Why on earth when we get the puck in our end on the PK, and we're facing our end, do we take the time to turn around and look? Just get the puck and WHIP it around HARD and HIGH down the ice. It works! Really it does!
Shinoix
 

No Whitney, No Desire

Postby Penspal on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:50 pm

Why Orpik and Scuds on the PP? Whitney is hurt, and Scuds has been there for the last few games, taking away the Shorties which plagued the Pens all year long. Do I like the fact they are there? Absolutely not, but as Bob Errey pointed out, there comes a time when you need to expirament and give players a chance to show what they can do. I actually liked what I saw from Orpik on the point. He didn't waste time and got the puck on the net (like Tarnstrom and Jackman did 2 yrs ago when we had a decent PP).

I'm also of the opinion that some of the decisions from the bench and upstairs which are "designed expiriments" are also ways to further the chance of a Pens loss, because, the Pens have thrown a season before, and they will do it again. The players want to win, you can see that from some of their last few games, but if you give them bogus opportunities (ie Scuds on PP) then they are not getting all the higher percentage options which lead to wins.

PensPal
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,451
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: dark recesses of Sid's brain

Re: No Whitney, No Desire

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:54 pm

Penspal wrote:
I'm also of the opinion that some of the decisions from the bench and upstairs which are "designed expiriments" are also ways to further the chance of a Pens loss, because, the Pens have thrown a season before, and they will do it again. The players want to win, you can see that from some of their last few games, but if you give them bogus opportunities (ie Scuds on PP) then they are not getting all the higher percentage options which lead to wins.

PensPal


Call it sophisticated tanking. I like it Image
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,772
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: The Fixed Edition of The Morning After

Postby OneTimer on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:17 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
DelPen wrote:How is Therrien chosing to play Orpik and Scuderi on the point on a PP proof CP is a bad GM?


Because the roster contains exactly no players other than Gonchar and Whitney capable of playing the point, so Therrien has no choice. And a buck to the first poster who can name the clueless GM that put the roster together.


Supposely, Hilbert worked the point some before coming to the Pens and he did it for about 20 seconds of a PP last night.

I thought Hilbert was the Pens' best forward last night.
OneTimer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:58 am

Crosby got some PP point time in last game as well. I wonder if he ever played that position before.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,354
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:31 am

I still think they should just place one guy in front of the goalie... pass the puck to Gonchar... as the puck in en-route a second guy moves to the net... Gonchar one-times it... both Pens in front try to tap in the redirection/rebound/loose puck
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:34 am

Jim wrote:I still think they should just place one guy in front of the goalie... pass the puck to Gonchar... as the puck in en-route a second guy moves to the net... Gonchar one-times it... both Pens in front try to tap in the redirection/rebound/loose puck


That's Leclairs game, exactly. Robbie Brown, Paul Coffey, Larry Murphy and Mario used to work that to perfection.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:37 am

Then they should do it! You still would have GOnchar and the person that passed Gonchar the puck back at the blue line incase it gets blocked so it is not like you are offering up short handed chances... I wanna see some garbage goals, not just pretty ones!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,641
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dan H, mig991 and 15 guests


e-mail