Who is to blame for boring hockey?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who is to blame for boring hockey?

Postby Scott on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:54 pm

I would have to point to either Jersey or Washington.

Washington probably had the real first splash with it, but Jersey perfected it.

For those of you who dont know what I am talking about with boring hockey, I will explain.

I am talking about the wave that started in the NHL that if you lacked the talent, you can trap, hold , grab every shift for 60 mins.
If a Caps player holds a guy, and holds a guy every shift,,the refs wont call that. Why? NHL. They will not have a team be on the PP for the whole game.

So I believe Washington really started that, with Jersey mastering it, and then others such as Florida etc picking up on it.

Take a look at some players stats in the 80's, and early 90's. Have look since then. Dont give me the Mario and Wayne argument. THere have been talented guys on teams full of talent that put up average points.

Jagr just hit 100 points again. But he is not going to come close to any of his big totals he once had. Scoring no doubt is up from 03-04, but it still has a ways to go. It is better. BUt how long until some coach finds out how to exploit the play with the new rules in place? Wont be long.

What the answer is ? I dont know. There are still teams who want to play all 5 guys in the defensive zone, take the turnover and go. THE WHOLE GAME. Wild come to mind. Those teams usually have guys that suck, so they cant score either. Makes for some really boring hockey.

Nothing worse for the NHL than to have 1-0 or 2-1 games with each team only garnering a shot total in the teens. :x

Just from a product sales perspective..remember this, North Americans want offense. They want big scores in any sports. Why do you think soccer is #1 in the world, with North America being the exception. People here could care less. Why? No offense. WE dont like 2 1/2 hour games with 1 goal. (Shot clock in basketball) (Protection and holding rules that have been altered in football to aid the offense) (CFL..look at the way they play football. Massive scoring.)

Rooting for ones team, a win is a win. No doubt about that. A 1-0/2-1 win is somewhat entertaining. A 5-4 win is exciting!
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:57 pm

Florida and New Jersey.

But NJ did it with style. Unlike Florida, NJ could still cause you headaches at both ends. Florida just played a snoozefest and tried to win every game 1-0, or tie 0-0.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

boring

Postby FuturePens on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:06 pm

There is no such thing as "boring hockey" is you a true fan of the game !
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:06 pm

Jim wrote:Florida and New Jersey.

But NJ did it with style. Unlike Florida, NJ could still cause you headaches at both ends. Florida just played a snoozefest and tried to win every game 1-0, or tie 0-0.

The worst were the Minn Wild.

NJ and Fla could have been average teams in a open style game. The Wild would have been worse than the Pens if they'd have opened it up.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:13 pm

Other teams adjust, and the enforcing of hooking and things are helping. I'm curious to see which rule book is going to be used for the playoffs.

So do you suggest we attach all the players to metal rods that won't allow the wingers into the defensive zone? Then, it's not much of a jump to replacing the netting behind the goals with a plexiglass dome that covers the whole rink. The home team would always wear blue and the away team red. It'd be great.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: boring

Postby Scott on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:35 pm

FuturePens wrote:There is no such thing as "boring hockey" is you a true fan of the game !

Has nothing to do with being a true fan.

Trust me, the city of Montreal will have its share of folks who would rather get a tooth pulled than to watch the Panthers play of say 1996.

People can be a true fans and at times feel some games can be boring.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:59 pm

FuturePens wrote:There is no such thing as "boring hockey" is you a true fan of the game !

No... at some point it technically stops being hockey.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:39 pm

When New Jersey won the Cup in 1995, the advent of boring hockey began.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:59 pm

Jim wrote:

No... at some point it technically stops being hockey.

That doesn't make a bit of sense. Lacrosse-on-ice?
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby plasticbratt on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:11 pm

New Jersey. Their success spawned the copy-cats.
plasticbratt
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby guiner on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:14 pm

I guess no one is going to mention that the Penguins are using the trap.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

trap our way to the playoffs

Postby penny lane on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:27 pm

guiner wrote:I guess no one is going to mention that the Penguins are using the trap.

penguins just haven't perfected the "boring win part" yet...

i thought even scotty bowman used the trap with the canadian
team of lore...

what did florida know about wide-open hockey when they went
to the cup finals? they knew winning hockey.

I found both penguins weekend games entertaining but different ... different is okay. :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: trap our way to the playoffs

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:35 pm

penny lane wrote:
guiner wrote:I guess no one is going to mention that the Penguins are using the trap.

team of lore...

I found both penguins weekend games entertaining but different ... different is okay. :P

I'd love the Pens to try out the "Torpedo System" for the remainder of the season. With the elimination of the 'two line pass' penalty I think it just might work.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:03 pm

No, we should just go for the "flying V" on every play. This would assure us of victory.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:16 pm

Lemaire. I'm glad he's out west now so I don't have to watch his yawn-tacular brand of hockey.
jmh70

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:23 am

I blame CP!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: trap our way to the playoffs

Postby DayWalker on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:57 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
penny lane wrote:

team of lore...

I'd love the Pens to try out the "Torpedo System" for the remainder of the season. With the elimination of the 'two line pass' penalty I think it just might work.

Yeah, you gots to think that someday some team-and some visionary behind the bench-is going to utilize the torpedo system to great effect in the NHL (Perhaps another European coach? Where's Mike Smith?) It is only a matter of time: Sports and the systems employed will constantly evolve and adapt to the situations and circumstances presented. It's sort of like how Bill Walsh created the West Coast offense and Dick LeBeau perfected the zone blitz in response (And not to belabor the football comparsions, but it is also similar to the way in which someday, some coach will figure out how to harness the immense talents of a mold-breaking player like Ron Mexico...)

That said, I do believe that the NHL product has improved since last season...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pipes Hochuli on Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Torpedo? we have enough trouble plying team defense with 2 d-men out there let alone 1. I don't see half of our d-men being able to execute. As for the forwards--most them have the young legs and/or euro influence to be able to try it.
Pipes Hochuli
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:04 pm

i think the islanders started the hook & hold stuff, near the end of their dynasty.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DayWalker on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:15 pm

I thought it was the Habs in the '70's, with J. Lemaire tweaking it after his stay in Europe in the early 1990's...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:15 pm

Steve wrote:i think the islanders started the hook & hold stuff, near the end of their dynasty.

Hooking and holding have been part of the game since it's inception. The 'left wing lock' and other trap approaches really took effect when the league started cracking down on hitting goalies when the strayed from the crease (Guys like Roy and Brodeur were almost a third Dman).

The league was still still fast paced long after the Isles dynasty ended in the mid-80's. Witness the Oilers dynasty, the two Pens cup teams and even the 1995 Rags. It was in ~ 1996 that the officals started putting the whistles away.

Mostly it was because of the NHL expanding too fast, the quality of goalies really dropped off when you went from your #1 to # 2 goalie after expansion. (Remember "The save" was made by Frank P.A. - a mostly backup goalie) Clubs were still "two deep" in goalies back then... not so much after expansion took hold. So the officals started protecting them which only served to make them even more like an extra dman. This allowed coaches to take risks with the Dmen like sending them both to the puck when it was in the other zone.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Who is to blame for boring hockey?

Postby Daniel on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:39 pm

I think the NHL is 100% to blame for boring hockey. NJ and Florida just did what was allowed by the NHL, just like any team would do. This attitude that an official doesn't want to determine the outcome of the game is the worst excuse I have heard for sports. The official determines the outcome of the game of an elite player is being held and tackled the entire game.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:56 pm

THe IglooReport is to blame!!!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins