Good News and Bad news from Bruce Garrioch (cts-related)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Good News and Bad news from Bruce Garrioch (cts-related)

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:51 pm

(Consider the source-related)

Item 1 (the good news):

There are whispers that Pittsburgh GM Craig Patrick, who is expected to be fired at the end of the season, is going to wind up taking over the Bruins.

Nothing new there. But it's like addition by subtraction. Not only do you strengthen yourselves, you weaken an opponent.

Item 2 (the bad news):

There's plenty of talk the Isles are going to buy out C Alexei Yashin at the end of the season. He has $34 million (all terms US) remaining on his contract, but a buyout would be $22.5 million payable over 10 years. Ottawa fans won't like this, but a league insider predicted this week there would be a bidding war for Yashin's services. "You can't argue with his talents and I don't think you can fault him for everything that has happened on Long Island," an NHL executive said. It wouldn't surprise NHL insiders if 10-12 teams -- including Pittsburgh, San Jose, Carolina, Los Angeles, Calgary, Toronto and Vancouver -- made a pitch for Yashin if he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

If the salary floor goes up, the Pens will have to spend some money in the offseason. Let's just hope it isn't on this guy. Although if he's bought out and gets another contract in the $2-3 million range, he might be a bargain. But they don't need another center if Malkin comes over.

Item 3 (from the CP is an idiot file):

Apparently Pittsburgh C Ryan Malone was devastated when he wasn't dealt at the NHL's trade deadline. Malone, a Pittsburgh native, already had his bags packed to come to Ottawa, but the word is Patrick was insisting the Senators give Pittsburgh C Antoine Vermette and W Brandon Bochenski in return. No deal

No kidding, no deal. Why would Ottawa give both those guys for Malone? I would take Bochenski alone.

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/20 ... 9-sun.html
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby borohcky9 on Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:57 pm

If we are to pick up any UFA's this summer, and I do hope that we do, I would like to see players along the lines of Max Afinogenov and Danny Markov instead of a high-priced under-producing center.
borohcky9

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:00 pm

I hope the new GM has 4 priorities in the offseason

1. Do whatever it takes to get Malkin in Pittsburgh
2. Dump LeClair to anyone willing to take him for a late round pick
3. Sign a RW (Afinogenov) to play with Malkin
4. Acquire a right-handed Defenseman
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:06 pm

If they have to spend money to get to the salary floor I'd rather see them lock Fleury into a 6 year $20 million deal. Could be a bargain after a year or two and even if it's not they will still be well below any salary cap until Malkin and Croaby enter free agency.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Good News and Bad news from Bruce Garrioch (cts-related)

Postby Fast B on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:08 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
There are whispers that Pittsburgh GM Craig Patrick, who is expected to be fired at the end of the season, is going to wind up taking over the Bruins.

Nothing new there. But it's like addition by subtraction. Not only do you strengthen yourselves, you weaken an opponent.

If true, that is hilarious. And just when you think that team couldn't find a way to make itself any worse.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:11 pm

Bowser wrote:I hope the new GM has 4 priorities in the offseason

1. Do whatever it takes to get Malkin in Pittsburgh
2. Dump LeClair to anyone willing to take him for a late round pick
3. Sign a RW (Afinogenov) to play with Malkin
4. Acquire a right-handed Defenseman

I totally agree. Getting rid of LeClair's albatross of a contract will free up Malkin room.

Welch is a lefty and while his presence should help and solidify the D, it doesn't solve our problem totally. A cheap, adequate righty should do just fine.

I'm not totally sold on Afinogenov though.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bowser on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:14 pm

Pens need to find a veteran Russian forward to help mentor Malkin in North American hockey. If Max doesn't work, I'm sure there is someone that can help do the job.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Draftnik on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Afinogenov will be a RFA, not a UFA, at least according to Eric Duhatschek:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060317.wnotebook0317/BNStory/Sports/home/?&pageRequested=all&print=true

That said, I agree with the strategy of acquiring players on the rise. Most UFA signings including the Pens' summer 05 fiascos involve overpaying for declining players which is always a bad strategy.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:20 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Item 3 (from the CP is an idiot file):

Apparently Pittsburgh C Ryan Malone was devastated when he wasn't dealt at the NHL's trade deadline. Malone, a Pittsburgh native, already had his bags packed to come to Ottawa, but the word is Patrick was insisting the Senators give Pittsburgh C Antoine Vermette and W Brandon Bochenski in return. No deal

No kidding, no deal. Why would Ottawa give both those guys for Malone? I would take Bochenski alone.

Odd that on the last Inside Penguins Malone said he was not surprised to still be here and that he was happy to stay at home.

Hmmmm....

I can see the "Happy" part just playing up to the fans... but if he truely expected to be traded... why make a point of saying the opposite?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:21 pm

Jesse wrote:I'm not totally sold on Afinogenov though.

As the fans in Toronto want him gone more than we want LeClair or ANYONE gone... I do not see how getting him is a good thing.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:22 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:

And another reporter reports just the opposite:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14131594.htm

Penguins winger Ryan Malone is happy he wasn't traded last week. "I'm definitely glad I'm still here," Malone told the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. "I'm sure I'll sign here again next year, I'm a restricted free agent, and, hopefully, I'm here long enough where we start winning." As for the trade talk, "It almost makes you feel good that other teams are interested and they want you on their team," Malone said. "So if Pittsburgh didn't want me there were other teams out there that did, and that's a good feeling as well." We'll never know whether Malone was offered to the Flyers for R.J. Umberger as part of the Flyers' bid to get Mark Recchi....
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby borohcky9 on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:24 pm

Draftnik wrote:Afinogenov will be a RFA, not a UFA, at least according to Eric Duhatschek:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060317.wnotebook0317/BNStory/Sports/home/?&pageRequested=all&print=true

That said, I agree with the strategy of acquiring players on the rise. Most UFA signings including the Pens' summer 05 fiascos involve overpaying for declining players which is always a bad strategy.

This link lists him as UFA. But it may be wrong, or it may contain some type of option.
http://www.geocities.com/floridapanther ... e2006.html
borohcky9

Postby borohcky9 on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:25 pm

Jim wrote:
Jesse wrote:I'm not totally sold on Afinogenov though.

As the fans in Toronto want him gone more than we want LeClair or ANYONE gone... I do not see how getting him is a good thing.

Not quite sure what you are thinking here, Afinogenov plays for Buffalo. :wink:
borohcky9

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:27 pm

borohcky9 wrote:Not quite sure what you are thinking here, Afinogenov plays for Buffalo. :wink:

My bad... I was thinking Antropov.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Draftnik on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:45 pm

borohcky9 wrote:This link lists him as UFA. But it may be wrong, or it may contain some type of option.
http://www.geocities.com/floridapanther ... e2006.html

That looks like a fan site. The Duhatschek column contains an actual interview with Sabres' GM Darcy Regier, so that is the probable source of information.

I thought there was some bad mojo out on the net regarding the Sabres. A month or 2 ago I was explaining what a great job Regier did and another poster tried to claim half his young talented roster was up for UFA after this season.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jmh70 on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:47 pm

Everyone in the organization has been totally non-committal about resigning CP. The last time his contract was up Mario et al were out there beating the drum about the need to resign CP; not so this time. He's gone, and thank God.
jmh70

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins