Sarich among Kelley's UFA bargains

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Sarich among Kelley's UFA bargains

Postby puckeye on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:16 pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article. ... 13122_2064

Sarich is 28, but has become a seasoned pro. He combines a solid point shot with superb one-on-one hitting skills, throwing the kind of devastating body checks that can change the momentum of a hockey game. He's not an offensive monster, but he can create plays that others finish (particularly off his big shot) and he does keep a game honest, especially in his own end.

Sarich blossomed into a pros pro under the direction of former Tampa Associate Coach Craig Ramsay who teaches players to be smart in aggressive in all three zones on the ice and Sarich does that. He's a definite top four that has the ability to grow into a top two defenceman and perhaps break through on the offensive side of the game as well. Sarich made $1,900,000 last season and because he has low offensive numbers, likely won't cost a whole lot more on the open market, which would make him a true bargain.
puckeye
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,650
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 pm

Re: Sarich among Kelley's UFA bargains

Postby crzymike on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:20 pm

puckeye wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20070622_113122_2064

Sarich is 28, but has become a seasoned pro. He combines a solid point shot with superb one-on-one hitting skills, throwing the kind of devastating body checks that can change the momentum of a hockey game. He's not an offensive monster, but he can create plays that others finish (particularly off his big shot) and he does keep a game honest, especially in his own end.

Sarich blossomed into a pros pro under the direction of former Tampa Associate Coach Craig Ramsay who teaches players to be smart in aggressive in all three zones on the ice and Sarich does that. He's a definite top four that has the ability to grow into a top two defenceman and perhaps break through on the offensive side of the game as well. Sarich made $1,900,000 last season and because he has low offensive numbers, likely won't cost a whole lot more on the open market, which would make him a true bargain.
As pathetic as our defense was this past year or three, he undoubtly would be an upgrade and as it was alluded to, he wouldnt break the bank.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Re: Sarich among Kelley's UFA bargains

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:21 pm

puckeye wrote:http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20070622_113122_2064

Sarich is 28, but has become a seasoned pro. He combines a solid point shot with superb one-on-one hitting skills, throwing the kind of devastating body checks that can change the momentum of a hockey game. He's not an offensive monster, but he can create plays that others finish (particularly off his big shot) and he does keep a game honest, especially in his own end.

Sarich blossomed into a pros pro under the direction of former Tampa Associate Coach Craig Ramsay who teaches players to be smart in aggressive in all three zones on the ice and Sarich does that. He's a definite top four that has the ability to grow into a top two defenceman and perhaps break through on the offensive side of the game as well. Sarich made $1,900,000 last season and because he has low offensive numbers, likely won't cost a whole lot more on the open market, which would make him a true bargain.


By bargain if he means $20 million over 5 years then yes, Sarich will be a bargain. We had predicitons last year that guys like Kubina and Kuba wouldn't get more than $2.5 million and how'd that end up?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,014
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Sarich among Kelley's UFA bargains

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:23 pm

puckeye wrote:Sarich made $1,900,000 last season and because he has low offensive numbers, likely won't cost a whole lot more on the open market, which would make him a true bargain.[/i]


I guess Mr. Kelley never heard of Jay McKee. While Sarich might not reach quite that high, he will be in the $3 mil a year neighborhood.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,787
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: Sarich among Kelley's UFA bargains

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:31 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
puckeye wrote:Sarich made $1,900,000 last season and because he has low offensive numbers, likely won't cost a whole lot more on the open market, which would make him a true bargain.[/i]


I guess Mr. Kelley never heard of Jay McKee. While Sarich might not reach quite that high, he will be in the $3 mil a year neighborhood.


Kubina: $5 million
Johnsson: $4.05 million
McKee: $4 million
Kuba: $3 million
Corvo: $2.5 million

I think Sarich is easily in this class of players if not better than most of them and seeing as how Timonen already got $6.3 million Sarich is easily going to get at least $4 million.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,014
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Sarich among Kelley's UFA bargains

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:46 pm

DelPen wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
puckeye wrote:Sarich made $1,900,000 last season and because he has low offensive numbers, likely won't cost a whole lot more on the open market, which would make him a true bargain.[/i]


I guess Mr. Kelley never heard of Jay McKee. While Sarich might not reach quite that high, he will be in the $3 mil a year neighborhood.


Kubina: $5 million
Johnsson: $4.05 million
McKee: $4 million
Kuba: $3 million
Corvo: $2.5 million

I think Sarich is easily in this class of players if not better than most of them and seeing as how Timonen already got $6.3 million Sarich is easily going to get at least $4 million.


I can't really argue with you. He's kind of in the Jay McKee class, so somewhere in the $3.5-4.5 mil range is my guess.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,787
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:04 pm

But the real question is, if you are Shero, are you prepared to pay a Sarich or Hannan $20 million over 5 years? I would.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,014
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby KG on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:05 pm

DelPen wrote:But the real question is, if you are Shero, are you prepared to pay a Sarich or Hannan $20 million over 5 years? I would.


The former no, the latter yes..
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Postby Maestro on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:46 pm

If Hannan agrees to sign a 5yr/20mil contract then @ 12am 7/1 warm up the printer and call the lawyers.
Maestro
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,180
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:17 pm

$4 million for Sarich is crazy. He basically was fifth on Tampa's depth chart on D at the end of the season. Tampa's D ain't Ottawa's; their fifth best defenseman isn't worth $4 million. A 3rd pairing defenseman for the Pens isn't worth that. If someone wants to pay him that whatever, but the Pens would be stupid to pay that kind of money to a guy who's not really that good.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby Angle on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:23 pm

Henry Hank wrote:$4 million for Sarich is crazy. He basically was fifth on Tampa's depth chart on D at the end of the season. Tampa's D ain't Ottawa's; their fifth best defenseman isn't worth $4 million. A 3rd pairing defenseman for the Pens isn't worth that. If someone wants to pay him that whatever, but the Pens would be stupid to pay that kind of money to a guy who's not really that good.


All good points but....

In order to get to that next level, the Pens need an upgrade on defense. What other practical ways are there to achieve this, other than signing a risky-player (i.e., someone that has something to prove, perhaps due to a slump or an injury), or trading proven talent (I keep hearing Army in the rumors)? If $4million is the going rate for a solid #5 d'man, then what do you do, especially if you don't have someone in the minors ready to step up?
Angle
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:22 am
Location: Baldwin

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:27 pm

$4 million is not the going rate for a fifth defenseman. Craig Rivet just signed for $3.5 million and he's a 3 or 4 guy on just about any team. Overpaying mediocre players is a game the Pens don't have to get into and shouldn't get into. Sarich doesn't play a style that suits today's NHL. Tampa's not a great team but he played some of their fewest ES minutes. Granted, he was used a lot on the PK, but they also had a very bad PK unit so that could be damning with faint praise. If you want to replace Orpik with Sarich, I guess that's an upgrade, but in my opinion the Pens should set their sights higher than just a slight upgrade over their worst defenseman and they should set their sights higher than taking a team below them's lower depth chart guys and put them towards the top of their own.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby Angle on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:29 pm

So you're saying that Nas, Scuderi and Melichar were better than Orpik?

I guess, by that logic, they are equal to or better than Sarich, so it would be better to resign one or two of them (than Orpik)?

BTW - I agree - the Pens should set their sites higher than a 3rd-paring guy... but can they afford one, if people like Sarcih would be getting a hefty raise?
Angle
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:22 am
Location: Baldwin

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:34 pm

Melichar and Scuderi are absolutely better defenseman than Orpik. Why else did they play several more minutes a game and were trusted in for important situations? No, the correct answer is not because they are Therrien's favorites. They were our top PK defenseman and Orpik was 6/6 on the depth chart in that area. Actually, 7/7 because when Nas was in the lineup he was used on the PK over Orpik. Orpik isn't good.

In a vacuum, I'd take Sarich over those guys but in reality the guys we had were much more cost effective as third pairing guys. You'd be stupid to pay a third pairing defenseman several million and you'd be stupid to go and get a guy who's a third pairing guy, pay him several million, and then expand his role. If the choice for a third pairing defenseman is Melichar at a million and Sarich at three or four million, absolutely I'd take Melichar every time.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby PensBeerGeek on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:41 pm

Henry Hank wrote:$4 million for Sarich is crazy. He basically was fifth on Tampa's depth chart on D at the end of the season. Tampa's D ain't Ottawa's; their fifth best defenseman isn't worth $4 million. A 3rd pairing defenseman for the Pens isn't worth that. If someone wants to pay him that whatever, but the Pens would be stupid to pay that kind of money to a guy who's not really that good.


Well, people are going to overpay for him because he's a right-handed shot, plain and simple.

Personally, it's a nice luxury, but I don't think I'd pay more than $500k over the comparable dman that shoots left.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,264
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:38 pm
Location: Morgantown, WV/Washington, PA

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:07 pm

PensBeerGeek wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:$4 million for Sarich is crazy. He basically was fifth on Tampa's depth chart on D at the end of the season. Tampa's D ain't Ottawa's; their fifth best defenseman isn't worth $4 million. A 3rd pairing defenseman for the Pens isn't worth that. If someone wants to pay him that whatever, but the Pens would be stupid to pay that kind of money to a guy who's not really that good.


Well, people are going to overpay for him because he's a right-handed shot, plain and simple.

Personally, it's a nice luxury, but I don't think I'd pay more than $500k over the comparable dman that shoots left.


Sarich is going to get paid nicely because the market for defensemen is shrinking, he skates well, he plays the PK and he's entering the prime of his career. The RH shot thing really doesn't matter here.

Cpry Sarich would be a top pairing on the Pens pure and simple. He'd be worth $4 million to this team if the want to get better.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,014
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby crzymike on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:16 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Melichar and Scuderi are absolutely better defenseman than Orpik. Why else did they play several more minutes a game and were trusted in for important situations? No, the correct answer is not because they are Therrien's favorites. They were our top PK defenseman and Orpik was 6/6 on the depth chart in that area. Actually, 7/7 because when Nas was in the lineup he was used on the PK over Orpik. Orpik isn't good.

In a vacuum, I'd take Sarich over those guys but in reality the guys we had were much more cost effective as third pairing guys. You'd be stupid to pay a third pairing defenseman several million and you'd be stupid to go and get a guy who's a third pairing guy, pay him several million, and then expand his role. If the choice for a third pairing defenseman is Melichar at a million and Sarich at three or four million, absolutely I'd take Melichar every time.
I cant say I agree with you on this one HH. The fact is NO ONE on this defense was anything to right home about with the exception of Eaton before he got injured the 1st time. I cant believe Sarich is as bad as even our best defensemen in our own end. He most certainly would be an upgrade, if nothing else but to push Melichar off the team (not retaining him).
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:18 pm

I cant say I agree with you on this one HH. The fact is NO ONE on this defense was anything to right home about with the exception of Eaton before he got injured the 1st time. I cant believe Sarich is as bad as even our best defensemen in our own end. He most certainly would be an upgrade, if nothing else but to push Melichar off the team (not retaining him).


I wouldn't spend $4 million just to push Melichar off the team, and realistically the difference between Melichar and Sarich isn't that drastic. Tampa's D was pretty good last year but it's not leaps and bounds ahead of the Pens. This isn't Ottawa depth we're talking about here. Sarich is a bottom pairing defenseman on a good team and I want the Pens to be a good team. Signing Sarich to an overpriced contract and playing him over his head is not the path to making this team better.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby crzymike on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:25 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
I cant say I agree with you on this one HH. The fact is NO ONE on this defense was anything to right home about with the exception of Eaton before he got injured the 1st time. I cant believe Sarich is as bad as even our best defensemen in our own end. He most certainly would be an upgrade, if nothing else but to push Melichar off the team (not retaining him).


I wouldn't spend $4 million just to push Melichar off the team, and realistically the difference between Melichar and Sarich isn't that drastic. Tampa's D was pretty good last year but it's not leaps and bounds ahead of the Pens. This isn't Ottawa depth we're talking about here. Sarich is a bottom pairing defenseman on a good team and I want the Pens to be a good team. Signing Sarich to an overpriced contract and playing him over his head is not the path to making this team better.
I wouldnt spend 4 million on him either but I might go for around three. I can tell you this , on this dismal defense Sarich would likely play as a top four defensemen. My thinking is this, if we replace Melichar and Scuderi or NAZ and add Letang and Sarich, then weve upgraded the position. If we are talking 4 million plus then I would want Hannan.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:30 pm

I think Sarich is a slight upgrade over Melichar but taking their contracts into consideration taking Melichar is the no brainer. The Pens would be fools to settle for Sarich at an overpriced rate in an overextended role just because there isn't a great deal out there for them. Shero wants a veteran defenseman for Letang on the third pairing. Go and sign Darryl Sydor to a reasonable one year deal. He's got the tools to succeed in today's NHL, he's still a legitimate top four defenseman on a good team, and he won't require a team to give him an overpriced salary for several years.

I'm glad you guys aren't the GM because in two and three year's we'd be feeling really stupid paying Cory Sarich $4 million to be a fifth defenseman while we try to re-sign our stars.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby crzymike on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:37 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I think Sarich is a slight upgrade over Melichar but taking their contracts into consideration taking Melichar is the no brainer. The Pens would be fools to settle for Sarich at an overpriced rate in an overextended role just because there isn't a great deal out there for them. Shero wants a veteran defenseman for Letang on the third pairing. Go and sign Darryl Sydor to a reasonable one year deal. He's got the tools to succeed in today's NHL, he's still a legitimate top four defenseman on a good team, and he won't require a team to give him an overpriced salary for several years.

I'm glad you guys aren't the GM because in two and three year's we'd be feeling really stupid paying Cory Sarich $4 million to be a fifth defenseman while we try to re-sign our stars.
I doubt many in the know would agree with you regarding Melichar, he stinks. As I stated I wouldnt pay Sarich 4 million either but hes a hell of alot better then Melichar or Scuderi. If Melichar is so effective then I guess RS will retain his services.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:45 pm

If Melichar is so effective then I guess RS will retain his services.


Maybe he will. If the free agent market is as ridiculous as you guys want it to be than Shero absolutely should look into bringing back Melichar or Scuderi and placing them in their proper roles. There's no reason to overpay for a third pairing defenseman. Absolutely none. And there's really no reason for a team to overpay a third pairing defenseman and play him in the top four just for the heck of it.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Postby crzymike on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:56 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
If Melichar is so effective then I guess RS will retain his services.


Maybe he will. If the free agent market is as ridiculous as you guys want it to be than Shero absolutely should look into bringing back Melichar or Scuderi and placing them in their proper roles. There's no reason to overpay for a third pairing defenseman. Absolutely none. And there's really no reason for a team to overpay a third pairing defenseman and play him in the top four just for the heck of it.
I disagree with you on this matter HH, but I respect your opinion nonetheless.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby magnum on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:05 pm

I'm all for Sarich. If it bumps Orpik down, the great. If bumps Eaton down to be paired with Letang, that's even better. Not that I don't like Eaton, I like Eaton a lot but Sarich is a little more physical and we need that in our Top 4. Eaton provides that defenseman for Letang that is defensively responsible that can back Letang up.

I don't see us signing Hannan. He's going to cost too much for Shero to go after IMO. If we can get Sarich for around Rivet money, that woud be awesome.
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,082
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chirpin' Grinder, Firebird, GeoTank, lemieuxReturns, orpchar, SolidSnake and 24 guests


e-mail