How many games will Cairns get?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

How many games will Cairns get?

Postby SportsFan on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:28 pm

I say season suspension.. Apparently he left the bench( Automatic 10 games), plus 3 Game Misconducts in 2 games..

Hopefully he is done in a Penguin uniform, Take Roy with him.

Fights are so dumb. That fight had no barring on the game whatsoever.
SportsFan
 

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:30 pm

The Pens will struggle to replace the 3 minutes a night he was giving them. :wink:

If Whitney can't go next game and Cairns is suspended (can't see that NOT happening), Welch better get the call.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,375
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: How many games will Cairns get?

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:46 pm

SportsFan wrote:I say season suspension.. Apparently he left the bench( Automatic 10 games), plus 3 Game Misconducts in 2 games..

Hopefully he is done in a Penguin uniform, Take Roy with him.

Fights are so dumb. That fight had no barring on the game whatsoever.


Are you sure he left the bench? I didn't see the extra replays but during the skirmish there were only 5 Pens players near the area, if Cairns left the bench there would have been 6 players. We'll see though, I only wish Cairns would have made the spear count instead of just a little tickle it appeared to be. THe guy who tried to clip Crosby should also get a suspension as well as Murray.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,943
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:46 pm

Ironic that he gets a game for a "spear", yet Chara throwing punches while a ref is bear hugging Cairns is left alone.

How bad is the economy in Canada when 17,000 people are chanting for a slice of free pizza?
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,844
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:49 pm

NJ5934 wrote:
How bad is the economy in Canada when 17,000 people are chanting for a slice of free pizza?


:lol:
NIN
 

Postby SportsFan on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:53 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Ironic that he gets a game for a "spear", yet Chara throwing punches while a ref is bear hugging Cairns is left alone.

How bad is the economy in Canada when 17,000 people are chanting for a slice of free pizza?


Chara able to even fight Cairns is laughable. Cairns played what 30 seconds up to that point, Chara played 13 Minutes.

I am sorry he is a waste of a Defensemen spot, especially if he gets 2 mins a game.

If they want to try him at Forward, go for it. Especially if it means no more Roy. He comes off the bench and takes a bad penalty on Neil, which leads to a goal. He then gets a Misconduct.
SportsFan
 

Postby SportsFan on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:56 pm

Period was over, instead of going to the locker room. Cairns came onto the ice.
SportsFan
 

Postby relantel on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:39 am

Roy actually seems to have some value when alongside Armstrong/Crosby or Malone/LeClair...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,185
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am
Location: The card table

Postby pensfannn on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:50 am

Most of you are missing the point. We NEED Roy and/or Cairns. Crosby is targeted not only because he is a star player and the Penguins best player (neutralizing him shuts down a lot of their offense). But teams have also proven that they can irritate Crosby and throw off his game with cheap shots, even get him to take misconduct or retaliation penalties.

Crosby should never be the one having to retaliate. Having at least one heavyweight in the lineup WILL PROLONG CROSBY'S CAREER. It is a MUST. Chara mugged Sid several times. Mezzaros clipped him, taking out his knee. Neil was overly physical as well. Praise should go to Surovy for intervening, but teams need to FEAR being rough with Crosby.

I say, bring up Dennis Bonvie until Cairns comes back. Opposing teams should know that they either play Sid clean, or they eat multiple fists.

Additionally, we need the right guy to answer the Derian Hatcher bell in the final meeting with the Flies 4/11. The dental work he did on Sid was inexcusable, and must be dealt with in a swift and physical manner in that game.
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,079
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:21 pm

Postby SportsFan on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 am

I think carrying fighters is so usless.. Look at the success Detriot had, have they carried a fighter.

Winning games and beating your opponent is the way to go.

Hockey fights are useless.
SportsFan
 

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:34 am

pensfannn wrote:Most of you are missing the point. We NEED Roy and/or Cairns. Crosby is targeted not only because he is a star player and the Penguins best player (neutralizing him shuts down a lot of their offense). But teams have also proven that they can irritate Crosby and throw off his game with cheap shots, even get him to take misconduct or retaliation penalties.

Crosby should never be the one having to retaliate. Having at least one heavyweight in the lineup WILL PROLONG CROSBY'S CAREER. It is a MUST. Chara mugged Sid several times. Mezzaros clipped him, taking out his knee. Neil was overly physical as well. Praise should go to Surovy for intervening, but teams need to FEAR being rough with Crosby.

I say, bring up Dennis Bonvie until Cairns comes back. Opposing teams should know that they either play Sid clean, or they eat multiple fists.

Additionally, we need the right guy to answer the Derian Hatcher bell in the final meeting with the Flies 4/11. The dental work he did on Sid was inexcusable, and must be dealt with in a swift and physical manner in that game.


Im with you, what other drama is there for us this season? I am happy that I like the goonery because it does make me feel better about my team when I see them out there sacrificing and fighting for each other.

Bonvie is unbeleiveably bad skill wise. I fear he may put the puck in his own net several times because he sucks so bad.
NIN
 

Postby Fast B on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:42 am

SportsFan wrote:I think carrying fighters is so usless.. Look at the success Detriot had, have they carried a fighter.

Winning games and beating your opponent is the way to go.

Hockey fights are useless.


I hear this a lot. And you know what? I'm damn tired of it (no offense to you, SportsFan).

Yeah, yeah, the best way to win is on the scoreboard. It's a nice theory, but our team is out of the playoffs by a country mile and people are still taking cheap shots at our franchise player. It's been going on all year. It has to stop. I don't want to hear about how fights don't solve anything, or how the only thing that matters is the win. I'm tired of the excuses for the lack of physicality from the Penguins.

Other teams have to learn that if they mess with the Franchise, they are going to pay in blood. Period. You can never stop everybody from trying to take runs at him, but you have to make them realize that there is a real price attached. Otherwise it will continue unabated until Crosby is seriously hurt. What then?
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,857
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Postby Fast B on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:44 am

NIN wrote:Bonvie is unbeleiveably bad skill wise. I fear he may put the puck in his own net several times because he sucks so bad.


Bonvie indeed sucks. I said earlier in the season that they should bring up Carcillo, and I still think they should, even if only for a couple games. A message has to be sent.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,857
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: San Mateo, CA

Postby Jamie on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:16 am

SportsFan wrote:I think carrying fighters is so usless.. Look at the success Detriot had, have they carried a fighter.

Winning games and beating your opponent is the way to go.

Hockey fights are useless.


Are you kidding? Look at Darren Mccarty. The infamous Claude Lemiuex incident. Mccarty is an ideal enforcer. He can add offense and fight. Mccarty is one tough SOB, and his presence on that team has helped to keep people from taking liberties at the Red Wings star players.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,062
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 pm
Location: Here or there

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:16 am

He didn't "get" anything... he had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,729
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:36 am

Jim wrote:He didn't "get" anything... he had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage.


Walk right in it's around the back
Just a half a mile from the railroad track
You can get, anything you want, at Alice's Restuarant.....

Excepting Alice! :-)

And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL," and
he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent (MT) came over, pinned a medal on me,
sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:39 am

NIN wrote:Bonvie is unbeleiveably bad skill wise. I fear he may put the puck in his own net several times because he sucks so bad.



Wow, we actually agree on something... Bonvie is a waste of a roster space.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,729
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:40 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Jim wrote:He didn't "get" anything... he had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage.


Walk right in it's around the back
Just a half a mile from the railroad track
You can get, anything you want, at Alice's Restuarant.....

Excepting Alice! :-)


Great tune, HORRIBLE movie... OUCH!!!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,729
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:51 am

SportsFan wrote:
Hockey fights are useless.


LOL! Spoken like a true Pens fan. Detroit was the exception to the norm, yet they still had Mccarty to police themselves and Kocur even appeared in games in 96. It's easier to point out one team like Detroit who won a cup with no fighters because that pretty much is one of the only teams to accomplish winning a cup with a relatively non fighting team. They also won a cup without a legti No 1 goaltender, are you saying that every team should go the same route?

Go back and you'll see almost every team that has won the cup the past 20 years has had someone to protect their players.
FlyerNation
 

Postby pensfannn on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:02 pm

SportsFan, I really enjoyed Olympic and World Junior hockey this year and there was no fighting in either tournament. However, NHL hockey is different - it is a North American influenced sport with international players - not the other way around. Physical play, and fighting, are a part of the NHL - and it likely always will be.

Now, since fighting is a part of the NHL, then the Penguins need to adjust to that environment accordingly. They have a player in Sid Crosby who is targeted for physical play by other teams. And if the length of his career is a concern to anyone in the organization, then the Pens need a physical presence to counteract that. Yes, that means they need a heavyweight enforcer. Ideally, even two (Note: With Cairns ejected, and Roy in the locker room with a misconduct, for what I don't know, we had no enforcer available at game's end last night). Do I hear three??

I like having Roy on Sid's line. Once teams get the message that there is a consequence for roughing up Crosby, they will stop doing it, or at least be VERY WARY of doing it.
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,079
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:21 pm

Postby SportsFan on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:11 pm

Tell me how playing these guys is good. They get 2-3 mins a game..

Cairns was also horrible on the few shifts he got, The smaller speedy forwards always gets around him.

Roy was good yesterday? He comes out on the ice and takes a holding call. We pay this guy a Million dollars to play 4 shifts a game.

Sorry hopefully fighting will be gone next year, so we can have more speedy skaters in the game.
SportsFan
 

Postby SportsFan on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:13 pm

pensfannn wrote: I like having Roy on Sid's line. Once teams get the message that there is a consequence for roughing up Crosby, they will stop doing it, or at least be VERY WARY of doing it.


Yeah, I love having Roy on Sid's line. Nothing like getting a No-Defensive 2 goal overpaid goon on the top line. No wonder we are fighting for the #1 Pick again.
SportsFan
 

Re: How many games will Cairns get?

Postby Jesse on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:58 pm

DelPen wrote:Are you sure he left the bench? I didn't see the extra replays but during the skirmish there were only 5 Pens players near the area, if Cairns left the bench there would have been 6 players.


That's what I'm saying.

The period was over.

EVERYONE had left the bench.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,643
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:07 am
Location: The Land of Condescending Posters

Postby SportsFan on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:16 am

Actually the runway to the lockerroom is near the bench in Ottawa, so there is no need to get on the ice at the end of the period. He did this.
SportsFan
 

Postby FlyerNation on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:12 am

SportsFan wrote:Sorry hopefully fighting will be gone next year, so we can have more speedy skaters in the game.


LOL! Hooray for Teddy Bears and Rainbows huh? Oh.....and soccer.
FlyerNation
 


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hugo Stiglitz, meow and 19 guests


e-mail