Therrien a big disappointment tonight.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Therrien a big disappointment tonight.

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:56 pm

I give him credit for sticking up for Crosby to the media before the game.

BUT standing there while someone deliberately makes an attempt to injury him and NOT sending out immediate retaliation is unacceptable. Hats off to Surovy for what he did, but I would have been OK with Roy leaving the bench and clubbing the crap out of Alfredsson directly.

No balls tonight. What the hell do we have to lose at this point? That bullsh1t on Crosby was about RESPECT, and the complete lack of it for the penguins when Cairns and Roy are not on the ice.

Never in a million years would anyone have gotten away with pulling a move like that on Gretzky. I seriously doubt anyone would get away with that right now on Ovechkin, Hossa, Nash, etc. Unacceptable.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SportsFan on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:03 pm

Who was he going to send out? Cairns is out, Rou got a misconduct.

Cairns is looking at a 10 gamer for coming on the ice after the period was over.

Crosby got to either A) Stick up for himself, or B) Take a hit.
SportsFan

Re: Therrien a big disappointment tonight.

Postby guiner on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:03 pm

I don't think there is much that Therrien could do. I think as a whole, it appears as though he has gotten them to successfully stand up for each other on their own.

However, I was thinking that maybe Crosby needs to drop the gloves like Mario did his rookie season. I was also thinking it would have been best if he did it with Alfredson, call that chicken **** out.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:09 pm

I wouldn't call that a hit. That was an intent to cause injury if there ever was one. More deliberate than any "boarding" I've seen all year.

If that was done in Philly on Forsberg the whole bench would have went apesh1t. There's no excuse for not responding. I don't care if Roy had to jump someone at the f'in buzzer. Crosby is being left out in the wind. He's plays a scrappy game and he brings alot of it on himself, no doubt, but this is getting to be alittle too much. Its becoming acceptable for teams to put crosshairs on him all night long. If CP values this kid as a long term investment, he'd be wise to make sure protecting him is a priority.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SportsFan on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:17 pm

NJ5934 wrote:I wouldn't call that a hit. That was an intent to cause injury if there ever was one. More deliberate than any "boarding" I've seen all year.

If that was done in Philly on Forsberg the whole bench would have went apesh1t. There's no excuse for not responding. I don't care if Roy had to jump someone at the f'in buzzer. Crosby is being left out in the wind. He's plays a scrappy game and he brings alot of it on himself, no doubt, but this is getting to be alittle too much. Its becoming acceptable for teams to put crosshairs on him all night long. If CP values this kid as a long term investment, he'd be wise to make sure protecting him is a priority.

Yzerman. Gretzky, Mario all went through this. The hit wasnt clean, but I have seen worse.

Philly wouldnt do anything. A few years ago, yes, Now.. No.. There a different team under Hitchcok.
SportsFan

Re: Therrien a big disappointment tonight.

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:23 pm

guiner wrote:I don't think there is much that Therrien could do. I think as a whole, it appears as though he has gotten them to successfully stand up for each other on their own.

However, I was thinking that maybe Crosby needs to drop the gloves like Mario did his rookie season. I was also thinking it would have been best if he did it with Alfredson, call that chicken **** out.

g

Can you imagine how bad the Crosby bashers would be if he did thrown down with Alfie? All kinds of "spoiled brat can't take any criticism" garbage would be all over the place.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have though...
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

What should he do

Postby Ironhorse on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:25 pm

Surovy stood up for Sid. No fihting in the last 5 minutes or the coach gets fined. The issue was taken care of.
Ironhorse
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Latin on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:30 pm

Roy's misconduct came when he was on the BENCH during the Crosby hit. The refs clearly were handcuffing Therien's ability to send tough guys on the ice the entire game ... anyone actually see the Cains spear?

Despicable officiating...
Steve Latin

Postby Ginger on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:49 pm

Steve Latin wrote:Roy's misconduct came when he was on the BENCH during the Crosby hit. The refs clearly were handcuffing Therien's ability to send tough guys on the ice the entire game ... anyone actually see the Cains spear?

Despicable officiating...

No kidding! And no, I did NOT see a spear! I saw him deck him but there was no evidence of a spear even tho' they showed replay after replay.

As for Crosby's trip, it was verging on a dirty play & even the commentators said as much. I was really glad to see Surovy come out to make the statement at least.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:13 am

Sending a guy out to specifically try to go after someone is generally a bad move, in my opinion. You do need to have the normal players who are going out there be willing to stick up for their teammates, but specifically targetting opponents sets a dangerous precedent, IMO.

Simply because if you target one of their guys, maybe next time they target Crosby again and he gets hurt.
MrKnowNothing

Postby positive_pens_fan on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:17 am

what happened to crosby. i just got home and i had to miss the game.
positive_pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby the wicked child on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:17 am

positive_pens_fan wrote:what happened to crosby. i just got home and i had to miss the game.

according to the refs he was tripped. :roll:
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SportsFan on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:20 am

If we want to get Ottawa back, beat them on the scoreboard.
SportsFan

Postby positive_pens_fan on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:29 am

at what point did that happen to crosby. oln is going to recast the game at 12 and i want to see it
positive_pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:34 am

positive_pens_fan wrote:at what point did that happen to crosby. oln is going to recast the game at 12 and i want to see it

mid 3rd I think. I missed most of the first so im watching it again too. I hope we do better this time!! :lol:
NIN

Postby positive_pens_fan on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 am

its not on.. it said on the tv guide channel it would be
positive_pens_fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Ginger on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:03 am

positive_pens_fan wrote:at what point did that happen to crosby. oln is going to recast the game at 12 and i want to see it

If you watch around the 10-12 minute mark of the third, you should catch it.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Latin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:27 am

SportsFan wrote:If we want to get Ottawa back, beat them on the scoreboard.

Yeah, good luck doing that against Ottawa. Perhaps we should just let them push around Crosby like they did the last time we played them and send Jani Rita out to win the game for us.

:x
Steve Latin

Postby wondermoose on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:01 am

Actually, I think tonight was a great success for MT. When he first came here, he complained the only guy sticking up for Sid was the smallest guy on the team, Talbot. Now look. No more than 2 seconds after the Crosby hit Surovy had his gloves off and throwing rights at Mezzaros.

Plus both Roy and Cairns were already gone, so....

GO THERRIEN! YOU'RE MAKING PROGRESS
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Peter on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:24 am

MT said months ago that his players should be responsible for retaliation. Remember the legendary press conference - "Dey just don care. Nobody stood up for Crosby. Dey don care."
Peter

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:59 am

Therrien has these guys standing up for each other. Nas and Orpik pummeled Eaves when he went fishing for a rebound. Little Tommy Surovy dropped the gloves with his fellow Slovak. That kind of stuff never happened when Edzo the floater was in charge.

Roy is threatening to go Bertuzzi on Mezaros:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Br ... 0-sun.html

He would have received an automatic 10 game suspension if he left the bench to jump Mezaros.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:03 pm

positive_pens_fan wrote:its not on.. it said on the tv guide channel it would be

The game was re-broadcast last night at 12. I watched most of it, but stopped before the "hit".
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:04 pm

Draftnik wrote:Therrien has these guys standing up for each other. Nas and Orpik pummeled Eaves when he went fishing for a rebound. Little Tommy Surovy dropped the gloves with his fellow Slovak. That kind of stuff never happened when Edzo the floater was in charge.

He would have received an automatic 10 game suspension if he left the bench to jump Mezaros.

I am liking Roy more and more. He seems like a good guy in the room, and he does stick up for his teammates. He was just not properly used by Edzo. Well, plus he was hurt. And he is exactly right about this hit.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:07 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Draftnik wrote:Therrien has these guys standing up for each other. Nas and Orpik pummeled Eaves when he went fishing for a rebound. Little Tommy Surovy dropped the gloves with his fellow Slovak. That kind of stuff never happened when Edzo the floater was in charge.

I am liking Roy more and more. He seems like a good guy in the room, and he does stick up for his teammates. He was just not properly used by Edzo. Well, plus he was hurt. And he is exactly right about this hit.

It's even more impressive that he's showing this kind of attitude on such a young team and one that has no hope of post season play. It's good that he will be here for another season or two. Can't say the same for one John LeClair.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:53 pm

These kind of garbage games the Pens have had to endure in the past week (starting with the New Jersey loss) should be used to figure out which 16 to 17 guys return next year and what 3 or 4 guys they need to pick up.

Forget bringing in 100 guys next year and having an intramural tournament the first three weeks of training camp.
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins