More of the same next season...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

More of the same next season...

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:26 pm

2001-2002 = 69 pts./26th place.
2002-2003 = 65 pts./29th place. (Carolina was 30th ! :shock: )
2003-2004 = 58 pts./30th place.
2004-2005 = strike year but we gain Crosby as a result of the lottery.
2005-2006 = 46 pts./30th place with only 13 games remaining.

I am tired of watching my beloved hockey team rot year after year. Next year they will finish 21st or lower gaurenteed. Summer and fall will bring new found enthusiasm as it always does but I know in my mind what that season will become. Fleury, Crosby, Whitney, and Malkin (IF assface can bring him here) are very young core players that will grow next season but they wont be strong enough to make the Penguins a playoff contender.
Last edited by NIN on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
NIN

Postby wondermoose on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:05 am

They're stuck between a rock and a hard place. They want to be competitive but it doesn't matter if they don't get an arena, which they can't get unless they are worth keeping, which is hard to do when you don't have any money, which is generated by the new arena!

There's too much going on with the organization to be good right now, and it's sad. I wish they could just settle whatever they need to do, or just take the big risk and get some sure players in the off season that will DEFINITELY help the team, not the Ziggy Palffy's or the Gonchar's. Should have gotten Kovalev.... I bet we'd be in the 10th place area if we had gotten Kovy. But anyways, hopefully they're have everything worked out before next season, whether they're getting a new arena, or whether they're moving. That way they can spend the money accordingly and know what their future holds.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby saveourpens on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:47 am

wondermoose wrote:Should have gotten Kovalev.... I bet we'd be in the 10th place area if we had gotten Kovy.

At one point some here we were all singing the praises of Pallfy. Some were comparing salaries with point totals and saying how they'd rather have Pallfy for his salary rather than Kovy. A couple months later and here we are now with a "retired" Pallfy, and Kovy, meanwhile, leads the Habs in scoring. Tis a shame!! :evil:
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Reilly on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:00 am

A healthy Palffy is better than Kovalev.
Reilly

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 am

Reilly wrote:A healthy Palffy is better than Kovalev.
:lol: Good one.
NIN

Postby Reilly on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:29 am

NIN wrote:

Kovalev has had one "superstar" season where as Palffy is a consistant 80-100 point player every year and is responsible in his own end. Don't act like an idiot just because you never saw him play while he was in LA.
Reilly

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:57 am

Reilly wrote:
NIN wrote:

Kovalev has had one "superstar" season where as Palffy is a consistant 80-100 point player every year and is responsible in his own end. Don't act like an idiot just because you never saw him play while he was in LA.

Oh wow your serious? Yeah I am not a fan of players that suck along the boards and if Pallfy had a clean bill of health he would still suck along the boards. If giving up on the forecheck because you are frail and timid and trying to make up for it by skating out too soon to backcheck is what you call responsible in your own end then good for you. He is **** fast and he can accelerate almost instanttaneously, the shot is surgically accurate, very good hockey sense and play making ability. Palffy had a great carear and he deserved the money he got in the offseason. Does that sound about right? Is that who he was in LA and NYI or could you enlighten me?

For my money, I will take a player who is a step slower, has a shot that is overpowering but not as accurate, average hockey sense and passing skill that is not as deft as Palffy's. Why? Because Kovalev can skate with the puck on his blade while players as big as Gill lean on him and not slow down or losse controll of the puck. He can carry the puck up ice and move through or around anybody that challenges him. He doesn't take **** from players and let himself be pushed around. He can turn a normal shift into a clinic for players that are all-stars and change the course of a game almost single handedly.

They are very different players, there isn't much at all they have in common. I would much rather have Kovalev on my team than Palffy and my personnal opinion of poeple who say Palffy is better than Kovalev is that they like regular season results more than they like Stanley Cup playoff results. To me that is idiocracy.
NIN

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:06 am

Palffy was right on track to avg the same points as his last three seasons.

For my money I'd rather have Palffy and Kovalev minus Gonchar. Kovy can man the point on the PP better than Gonch.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:19 am

Both players healthey, and not retiring, couch... I'd take Palffy over Kovalev without a second thought.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

didn't Zig Palffy just quit...

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:32 am

Reilly wrote:
NIN wrote:

i'd to know why palffy quit on the pens & why they'd want him to return?
Or get some of the healthy juice that palffy must be taking in order
for him to be to play again?

pens needs younger & better than palffy
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:36 am

I do not understand Palffy's move either. I could see there being sour grapes there. I think it might be better to look in other pastures and just let the Palffy chip fall where it will. It was a poo thing to do, especially if he returns to the NHL next year. I was/am a Palffy fan, but he took a hit when he retired like that, and will take another MAJOR hit if he returns to another team.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:57 am

Jim wrote:I do not understand Palffy's move either. I could see there being sour grapes there. I think it might be better to look in other pastures and just let the Palffy chip fall where it will. It was a poo thing to do, especially if he returns to the NHL next year. I was/am a Palffy fan, but he took a hit when he retired like that, and will take another MAJOR hit if he returns to another team.

How would that be any different from what Raul Mondesi did?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:05 am

Who?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:12 am

Jim wrote:Who?

Wow, either you're memory is as bad as you say, or you don't follow the Pirates at all. :-)

I don't follow the Pirates anymore, but what Mondesi did was one of the most unethical moves I've seen pulled by a player to get out of a contract.

Pittsburgh Pirates

Raul Mondesi signed a 1.5 million one-year contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates in February 2003.

In May of 2003, Mondesi left the Pirates stating that he was fearful for his family's safety and couldn't concentrate on Baseball as he fought a lawsuit by former major leaguer Mario Guerrero, who says Mondesi promised him 1 percent of his major league earnings for helping develop his skills. However, Mondesi told several newspapers that he left the Pirates because he was unhappy with his contract.

In any event, the Pirates placed Mondesi on the major league baseball’s restricted list and terminated Mondesi contract cited breach of contract ending all dealings.

In May 2004 Mondesi, who claimed to be focused, immediately signed a one-year deal with the Angels.

After Mondy was placed on the 15-day disabled list due to a torn right quadriceps muscle, he began failing to perform prescribed rehabilitation work on several occasions. After ignoring repeated warnings that included a suspension (June 19-21), the Angels terminated Mondesi’s contract.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:01 am

Aw come on guys. Palffy didn't quit on the team - he had shoulder problems, remember? :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:24 am

SOOOOOOO don't give a crud about baseball. I could not give the the first and last name of a single player on the team right now.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:11 pm

Palffy will come out of retirement next year and play for the kings.

That's why Kovalev is better.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:21 pm

Where is Ian Moran when you need him?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DayWalker on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:47 pm

I pretty much agree, though Kovalev, when he feels like it, remains one of the NHL's handful of elite players...
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:50 pm

Kovalev is a little more well rounded. I wouldn't put Palffy on the point on a powerplay... However, I would take the Palffy of two years ago over the Kovalev of two years ago... Close... real close... but there it is.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jimjom on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:00 pm

I agree. Palffy totally walked out on the team probably because of its record or maybe he didn't want to play under MT? He'll be back in the NHL after his extended honeymoon.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:03 pm

If Palffy goes to the Kings, I would hope the Penguins file tampering charges for their contacting Palffy during this season. Dave Taylor is under pressure to win this year and that has now been highlighted by the recent firing of Andy Murray as head coach.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:13 pm

Bowser wrote:If Palffy goes to the Kings, I would hope the Penguins file tampering charges for their contacting Palffy during this season. Dave Taylor is under pressure to win this year and that has now been highlighted by the recent firing of Andy Murray as head coach.

Why would they contact Palffy this season? They can't sign or trade for him now. They may be under pressure to win now, but Palffy certainly can't help that cause. And, this has been discussed before, if Palffy wants to return to the NHL, I believe he has to go through the Pens as he has a multi-year deal in place with them. I'm certain they would honor any trade request by him as they certainly shouldn't want his no-good rear anywhere near the team if he does in fact want to return to the NHL with a different team.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby saveourpens on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:44 pm

Kovalev isn't doing too shaby either while leading his team with points, so I wouldn't say that flat out. We couldn't have looked into the future at the start of the season, but we definetly got the raw end of the deal when we got Pallfy instead of Kovy. He did have a history of being injured when we got him, so the Pens are not entirely blameless for picking him up.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tocchet on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:19 pm

For my money I'd rather have Palffy and Kovalev minus Gonchar. Kovy can man the point on the PP better than Gonch.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I decried the signing of Gonchar immediately after it was announced. That money would have been MUCH better served signing an elite winger or defenseman, or a couple of mid-level veterans at center, wing and defense.

CP is an idiot, and the records recited on the original post of this thread is the indictment management needs to rid themselves of CP and start anew by pumping some fresh blood into the organ-i-zation.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins