PG Article on "Campaign" by Slots Applicants

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

PG Article on "Campaign" by Slots Applicants

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:29 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06081/674419.stm

Pens and IOC are making a HUGE mistake

according to PG

"Neither the Penguins nor Isle of Capri plan any advertising at this time."
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby spoon on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:36 am

Oh you didnt hear... the Pens are going to send the Spirits door to door with a 4in x 4in media player to show the IoC video. Try to stay out of the sun while watching.
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sleestak on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:09 am

Well in some way doesn't that mean Forrest City is feeling some lack of public enthusiasm for their plan?

This is still the early stages of this proposal campaign. I am not optimistic about IoC getting the license but it appears they at least have a shot. I'm sure they have a plan up their sleeve.
Sleestak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: PG Article on "Campaign" by Slots Applicants

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:34 am

Bowser wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06081/674419.stm

according to PG

Massive mistake. I don't understand their lack of willingness to do battle publicly. They can post all the glitzy videos on the Pens website and board that they want, but nobody will see them except those of us who are already convinced.

Although, the conspirator in me wonders if there's a deal cut behind the scenes, hence their lack of initiative.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:

according to PG

Massive mistake. I don't understand their lack of willingness to do battle publicly. They can post all the glitzy videos on the Pens website and board that they want, but nobody will see them except those of us who are already convinced.

Although, the conspirator in me wonders if there's a deal cut behind the scenes, hence their lack of initiative.

According to the article, they're doing extensive polling.

That's actually a VERY smart move. Find out what the community wants before crafting your ads.

This may be FC/Ratner/Harrahs biggest weakness. They're very confident and feel they can come into Pittsburgh and do things the way they have in other cities.

Pittsburgh is different. IoC seems to understand that.

Let's hope they follow through.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby DayWalker on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:54 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:

according to PG

That or the Penguins have all but conceded that their chances of obtaining an arena via the IoC plan are nil, and that contributing any money towards advertising is a fundamental waste of time and resources...

Polling? Polling? At this juncture of the campaign? For what?

And hey, were we not "promised" a massive PR campaign last fall by the Penguins and IoC? If not now, when?

All this simply suggests that FCE/Harrah's is running laps around the Penguins/IoC in the PR department and that we Pens fans had best hope that any "Plan B" is palatable to both the Penguins and the voting public (And I am unconvinced that any "Plan B" will actually be crafted before the November elections. Will that be to late to save the Penguins in Pittsburgh?)
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:00 pm

DayWalker wrote:All this simply suggests that FCE/Harrah's is running laps around the Penguins/IoC in the PR department and that we Pens fans had best hope that any "Plan B" is palatable to both the Penguins and the voting public (And I am unconvinced that any "Plan B" will actually be crafted before the November elections. Will that be to late to save the Penguins in Pittsburgh?)

No, I concur with the poster above who said they think maybe FC/Harrah's is feeling the heat that they are losing the public relations war by a mile and have resorted to spewing their lies and inflated numbers in large print where they know the "seniors" of Allegheny County will see and believe their words of "More Property Tax Relief." I also believe they realize they have an inferior plan that needs to be pumped at at all costs in order to gain public and political approval.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:45 pm

Daywalker - I agree.

Polling should have taken place before they even crafted their slots application. They could have then taken the poll numbers and other public commentary to use for their ads.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Pens are getting horrible advice from Morehouse.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:24 pm

Bowser wrote:
I've said it once and I'll say it again, Pens are getting horrible advice from Morehouse.

More like "no advice from Morehouse". Maybe he's an FC investor, too.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins