The Jackwipe Edition of The Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Jackwipe Edition of The Morning After

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:01 am

Because Bryan Murray has officially joined Pat Burns and Pat Quinn as coaches to whom we yell, “shut up, Jackwipeâ€￾ whenever the camera shows them.

…The whole tone of last night’s game was Murray’s fault. When he goes on TV and calls Boguniecki’s hit on Volchenkov dirty, that filters down to his team. And that was a perfectly clean hit, no matter what that Jackwipe thinks.

…Funny, I heard nary a word out of him after Chara’s blatantly dirty hit on Recchi earlier this year. That was far worse than the hit on Volchenkov.

…After that, the Sens just decided to try to play dirty and get even.

…Why did Cairns do what he did? I have no idea. But Chara deserved it. It probably was payback for the hit on Recchi. There will be a suspension forthcoming.

…Since they don’t paly anymore this year, I hope the pens have long memories of Meszaros’ hit on Crosby. Next time they meet, Alfredsson needs to be hurt, and hurt severely. If they want to go after the stars, then bring it on.

…This was also precipitated by Vermette hotdogging. He is nothing but a gutless little sh#t who also needs to be taken out.

…Smart move by the refs to give Roy a 10-minute misconduct toward the end. Very disappointing, though.

…The Sens have now joined Toronto and Vancouver on the hated teams north of the border list.

…The Sens should be embarrassed that they beat a team in full tank mode by only three. On home ice.

…The power play is now a sterling 4/31 since the deadline. See, Craig, that’s what happens when you trade away two point guys and don’t bother to have anybody who can do that.

…Why are Sid and Ovechkin in major funks? Maybe because teams have ratcheted up the intensity a bit?

…Was that Tomas Surovy actually getting 2/3 of the Gordie Howe hat trick last night? I had almost forgotten who wears 43. Now, as for number 7, I hear it’s available.

…After sterling play for awhile, Sergei Gonchar is back to his old tricks. Just brutal the last two games.

…Full tank mode means Caron playing against Ottawa. Good move by Therrien. They weren’t going to win last night no matter what, so save Fleury for a better day.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

storing up the memories

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:43 am

Full & high marks to Tomas Surovy for just reacting instead of worrying about the consequences regarding the dirty move by mezaros. Thank the Good Jesus that Sidney made the last second move.

Yes, when the pens get good, there is some revenge to be taken.

As Paul S & Phil B were praising the senators mega talent and their gawdy stats ...
it all is a waste once they go out in whimper from the play-offs.

Last night I wished Marc-Andre would have played; I think the team,
rightly / wrongly knows he gives them a competative edge, a fighting chance to win.

With Sid on the point; he's better when he is a roving/moving point person; shoot or pass...then move & have another take his place.
Brooks Orpik is not fast but he can get the puck on the net.

my sister asks , they only get 5 mins for fighting?, that's terrible :shock:
she doesn't get hockey...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stoosh on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:14 am

Some thoughts, MCM...

...If that hit on Volchenkov was dirty in Murray's book, then Murray would want hitting outlawed altogether in hockey. Bogey's hit was a textbook check into the boards.

...From the moment hitting is introduced to kids, they are taught to take a quick look around as they skate towards the boards after a puck. Volchenkov didn't. It's not Bogey's fault that Volchenkov is an idiot.

...I don't have a problem at all with what Cairns did. I'm not sure why he did it, either. Maybe Ottawa's insistence on continuing the chirping and the behind-the-play shenanigans long past the point of being called for had something to do with it. I think that had a lot to do with my next thought....

...It seemed to me that Ottawa was getting awfully agitated by the Pens last night, almost like Ottawa was frustrated because they allowed the game to be tougher than it should've been. And the more frustrated Ottawa got, the more the Pens were relishing their role. I don't know if the Sens just have this notion that inferior teams will play in awe of them or something. In truth, Pittsburgh is playing like they don't give a damn about what the final score of the game is going to be.

...Niklas Nordgren...what the hell is going on with this guy? 3:00 of ice time last night and only six shifts? Someone have any insight on this?

...I'll put it this way...if Murray thought Bogey's hit on Volchenkov meritted a five-minute major for boarding, then Meszaros's knee-to-knee attempt calls for a 10-game suspension. If you watched any one of the 50 replays they showed on it last night, you could see him swing his left leg out at the last second. Besides, if Meszaros wasn't REALLY trying to hit Crosby with his leg, why didn't Meszaros wind up his upper body to deliver a check?
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:22 am

Now you know why I've hated the Sens for so long. Been on my most hated list the past 3 years more than the Devils, Bolts, Rags, Leafs and yes even the Pens. Difference this year is that they've added more muscle so the intimidation doesn't rely soley on Chara or Niel. Last year they were cheap shotting punks who would back down when teams decided to seek payback. Now they're the opposite. I bet you they fold once again in the playoffs because teams will try to get them off their game, and injuries migth do them in as well.
FlyerNation

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

FlyerNation wrote:Now you know why I've hated the Sens for so long. Been on my most hated list the past 3 years more than the Devils, Bolts, Rags, Leafs and yes even the Pens. Difference this year is that they've added more muscle so the intimidation doesn't rely soley on Chara or Niel. Last year they were cheap shotting punks who would back down when teams decided to seek payback. Now they're the opposite. I bet you they fold once again in the playoffs because teams will try to get them off their game, and injuries migth do them in as well.

You wouldn't be talking about the most gutless puke in hockey today, Vaclav Varada, would you Image
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensStarsFan on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:58 am

I'm going to enjoy actively rooting against the Sens come playoff time.

Whatever respect I had for them is long gone.
PensStarsFan

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:07 pm

FlyerNation wrote:Now you know why I've hated the Sens for so long. Been on my most hated list the past 3 years more than the Devils, Bolts, Rags, Leafs and yes even the Pens. Difference this year is that they've added more muscle so the intimidation doesn't rely soley on Chara or Niel. Last year they were cheap shotting punks who would back down when teams decided to seek payback. Now they're the opposite. I bet you they fold once again in the playoffs because teams will try to get them off their game, and injuries migth do them in as well.

Ottawa has answered the bell this year under Murray. They are much tougher. Norris caliber defensemen named Redden and Chara fought AHL Penguins named Lefebvre and Cairns. There is no reason for best in class players to drop the gloves with scrubs. It Havlat comes back to give them a 2nd scoring line and Hasek comes back as the stopper they will be a very tough out in the playoffs.

How many goals did Philly score versus Ottawa a few years ago in the playoffs. 3, 4, maybe 5? That was a beautiful series.

What happened last night is NHL hockey. Volchenkov has a history of concussions and Bogie hit him earlier this season so Ottawa was standing up for their guy. If Atlanta for example plastered Whitney into the boards a few times this season, clean or not clean, I know I'd want the Pens to run Kovalchuk. That is the culture of NHL hockey.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:11 pm

Everyone forgets the cockiness, swagger and attitude the Pens had when they were winning Cups. I see no difference in how Ottawa approaches the game now. They paid their dues through the 90's and are reaping the rewards of all those miserable seasons. Just as the Pens did through the 80's, just as Detroit did through the early 90's, etc. All things are cyclical...the Pen's time will come again.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:16 pm

Pitts wrote:Everyone forgets the cockiness, swagger and attitude the Pens had when they were winning Cups. I see no difference in how Ottawa approaches the game now. They paid their dues through the 90's and are reaping the rewards of all those miserable seasons. Just as the Pens did through the 80's, just as Detroit did through the early 90's, etc. All things are cyclical...the Pen's time will come again.

What have the Sens done do deserve to be cocky and have a swagger? They've been playoff chokers. Smae as the Flyers, do they have any right to be cocky? They're the same regular season phenoms who fail to go all the way come playoff time.
FlyerNation

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:19 pm

FlyerNation wrote:
Pitts wrote:Everyone forgets the cockiness, swagger and attitude the Pens had when they were winning Cups. I see no difference in how Ottawa approaches the game now. They paid their dues through the 90's and are reaping the rewards of all those miserable seasons. Just as the Pens did through the 80's, just as Detroit did through the early 90's, etc. All things are cyclical...the Pen's time will come again.

What have the Sens done do deserve to be cocky and have a swagger? They've been playoff chokers. Smae as the Flyers, do they have any right to be cocky? They're the same regular season phenoms who fail to go all the way come playoff time.

Let's wait until June to see how things shake out, eh? That's a damn good team that made several key changes this season...the biggest being Spezza/Heatly.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

sens

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:27 pm

insert smiley looking in the mirror 8)

we'll see come the play-offs, it is all about the goalie.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:06 pm

Pitts wrote:
FlyerNation wrote:

Let's wait until June to see how things shake out, eh? That's a damn good team that made several key changes this season...the biggest being Spezza/Heatly.

Yeah but they are banged up right now and may be for a while in the playoffs.

As for Goaltenders I don't see a team in the East right now aside from the Sens with proven netminders.

Sens -Hasek but injuries could keep him out. Emery isn't going to do squat.

Rags - Lundqvist Not proven

Flyers -Nittimaki most likely the starter but still unproven. Esche has some experience but sucks.

Canes Gerber - unproven

Sabres - Miller, Nornen, Biron unproven in the playoffs

NJ- Brodeur is proven of course only if they make it.

Atl - Lehtonen unproven.
FlyerNation

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:31 pm

FlyerNation wrote:Rags - Lundqvist Not proven

I really can't stand the Rangers. But this kid's got "it". He'll be the 'surprise' of this years playoffs!
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:33 pm

He is actually my dark horse for Rookie of the Year. Everyone is arguing AO or Crosby... this guy is in line to win the Vesna as well.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rohit on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:50 pm

i dont know if you can consider henrik L to be unproven. i mean, he did win a gold medal. thats gotta count for something, right?
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:24 pm

FlyerNation,

I've had a chance to see Ottawa play a few times now over the course of the second half of the season. Call me crazy, but there's just something about this team that I don't like heading into the playoffs. They're missing something and I don't know what it is.

They look too tightly-wound, and that was part of the point of my post above. Take last night's game, for instance. Ottawa was up by at least two goals for the better part of the game, but Pittsburgh was the team that seemed to be having more "fun" as the game progressed.

Maybe it's because of the current makeup of this Pens team. Most of the prominent roles are being filled by kids who know they're going to factor into the next couple of seasons here (and some well beyond that). Most of the vets seem to enjoy playing on this team now, save one. People close to the Pens have said the chemistry and camaraderie on the Pens is now the best it's been all year.

I think it's all of the above combined with the fact that this team knows it has nothing else to lose this year. So why not go out and have some fun making life miserable for the opposition, many of whom approach each game with the Pens as two easy points? I watched the way guys like Armstrong, Cairns and Boguniecki played last night, and you could tell the Pens weren't intimidated. The more flustered the Sens got, the more the Pens just seemed to laugh back in their faces. As I said above, I don't think the Pens gave a damn about the final score of the game....they wanted to make that game as difficult for the Sens to win as possible.

I can't wait to see what's going to happen when Ottawa gets in a fight against a playoff team that isn't afraid to get back in their face. Right now, Ottawa could very well face either NJ or ATL in the first round...that might not be a good matchup for them.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:27 pm

Rohit wrote:i dont know if you can consider henrik L to be unproven. i mean, he did win a gold medal. thats gotta count for something, right?

The Olympics mean nothing when it comes to the NHL playoffs. Nittimaki was the MVP of the enitre Olympics and Finland had little offense, to look at it that way, Nitti should be more proven which I don't think he is.
FlyerNation

Postby FlyerNation on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:30 pm

Stoosh wrote:FlyerNation,

I've had a chance to see Ottawa play a few times now over the course of the second half of the season. Call me crazy, but there's just something about this team that I don't like heading into the playoffs. They're missing something and I don't know what it is.

They look too tightly-wound, and that was part of the point of my post above. Take last night's game, for instance. Ottawa was up by at least two goals for the better part of the game, but Pittsburgh was the team that seemed to be having more "fun" as the game progressed.

Maybe it's because of the current makeup of this Pens team. Most of the prominent roles are being filled by kids who know they're going to factor into the next couple of seasons here (and some well beyond that). Most of the vets seem to enjoy playing on this team now, save one. People close to the Pens have said the chemistry and camaraderie on the Pens is now the best it's been all year.

I think it's all of the above combined with the fact that this team knows it has nothing else to lose this year. So why not go out and have some fun making life miserable for the opposition, many of whom approach each game with the Pens as two easy points? I watched the way guys like Armstrong, Cairns and Boguniecki played last night, and you could tell the Pens weren't intimidated. The more flustered the Sens got, the more the Pens just seemed to laugh back in their faces. As I said above, I don't think the Pens gave a damn about the final score of the game....they wanted to make that game as difficult for the Sens to win as possible.

I can't wait to see what's going to happen when Ottawa gets in a fight against a playoff team that isn't afraid to get back in their face. Right now, Ottawa could very well face either NJ or ATL in the first round...that might not be a good matchup for them.

I agree Stoosh. They are banged up right now in a big way. I think they will get a sense of comfort knowing the Laffs are out of it and might let their gaurd down or they will go out of thier way to prove they are not the same soft Sens as before and take stupid penalties. Who knows how Heatley will do in his first playoff performance. The pressure this playoffs will be on three teams the Sens, Flyers and Bolts. The Sens could very well run into a team like the Devils or Thrashers who might not have much to lose and knock the Sens out again.
FlyerNation

Postby Tocchet on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Who the hell is this Niklas Nordgren of whom you speak???
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:42 pm

FlyerNation wrote: The pressure this playoffs will be on three teams the Sens, Flyers and Bolts. The Sens could very well run into a team like the Devils or Thrashers who might not have much to lose and knock the Sens out again.

I agree, FN. And of those three teams facing the pressure, it hangs on the shoulders of the Sens more than any other team. The Bolts won the cup last year, the Flyers are perennial playoff regulars, but while the situation is the same for the Sens, the Canadian media is two times as harsh and this year Ottawa is the heavy odds on favorite.

We'll see if they can stand up to the pressure, I'm rooting heavily against them, that's for sure.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: The Jackwipe Edition of The Morning After

Postby Ginger on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:58 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:Because Bryan Murray has officially joined Pat Burns and Pat Quinn as coaches to whom we yell, “shut up, Jackwipeâ€￾ whenever the camera shows them.

…The whole tone of last night’s game was Murray’s fault. When he goes on TV and calls Boguniecki’s hit on Volchenkov dirty, that filters down to his team. And that was a perfectly clean hit, no matter what that Jackwipe thinks.

…Funny, I heard nary a word out of him after Chara’s blatantly dirty hit on Recchi earlier this year. That was far worse than the hit on Volchenkov.

…After that, the Sens just decided to try to play dirty and get even.

…Why did Cairns do what he did? I have no idea. But Chara deserved it. It probably was payback for the hit on Recchi. There will be a suspension forthcoming.

…Since they don’t paly anymore this year, I hope the pens have long memories of Meszaros’ hit on Crosby. Next time they meet, Alfredsson needs to be hurt, and hurt severely. If they want to go after the stars, then bring it on.

…This was also precipitated by Vermette hotdogging. He is nothing but a gutless little sh#t who also needs to be taken out.

…Smart move by the refs to give Roy a 10-minute misconduct toward the end. Very disappointing, though.

…The Sens have now joined Toronto and Vancouver on the hated teams north of the border list.

…The Sens should be embarrassed that they beat a team in full tank mode by only three. On home ice.

…The power play is now a sterling 4/31 since the deadline. See, Craig, that’s what happens when you trade away two point guys and don’t bother to have anybody who can do that.

…Why are Sid and Ovechkin in major funks? Maybe because teams have ratcheted up the intensity a bit?

…Was that Tomas Surovy actually getting 2/3 of the Gordie Howe hat trick last night? I had almost forgotten who wears 43. Now, as for number 7, I hear it’s available.

…After sterling play for awhile, Sergei Gonchar is back to his old tricks. Just brutal the last two games.

…Full tank mode means Caron playing against Ottawa. Good move by Therrien. They weren’t going to win last night no matter what, so save Fleury for a better day.

Why are Sid & Ovechkin in funks? Look at these teams they are on & you have part of the answer. They *are* the team in which they belong & other teams target them on a regular basis. That just wears a guy out.
I'm so happy that Surovy tried to take care of business there after we were handicapped by the refs.

If anyone watches the Volchenkov hit, it was clear that was a clean hit that sent his head into the glass at an awkward angle. There was no malicious intent behind that hit, but sadly, he got hurt anyway. Hopefully he'll be alright & everyone can move on from that.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:59 pm

Stoosh wrote:Call me crazy, but there's just something about this team that I don't like heading into the playoffs. They're missing something and I don't know what it is.

They look too tightly-wound, and that was part of the point of my post above.

Perhaps it is the coach. Bryan Murray teams have never done well in the playoffs. To wit, here is his illustrious record:

Washington (1982-89): 4 first-round exits, 3 second-round exits.
Detroit (1990-92): 2 first-round exits, 1 second round exit.

That type of playoff choking runs in the family. Recall that it was his brother Terry who called his Flyers' play against Detroit in the finals back in about 1997 "a choking situation."

So imagine my shock at you calling them "tightly-wound." That filters down from a coach with a history of choking.
Last edited by Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:59 pm

Stoosh wrote:FlyerNation,

Add a healthy Hasek (best G in Eastern Conf), Havlat (would have been 40g scorer) and Fisher (one of the top 3rd line Cs in NHL) to Ottawa and they are a much more formidable team. That said, I agree they need to shake the soft choker label and their Captain needs to prove he can be a warrior when things get tough in the NHL. Its too bad Cole was injured. His physicality and brute strength really gave Carolina a different dimension. They look very soft without him. Vasicek, while also being somewhat soft will give them a fresh injection of skill if he comes back healthy in the next 10 days.

Both conferences are wide open IMO. I'm not sold on Legace and Detroit's older legs.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:02 pm

FlyerNation wrote:The pressure this playoffs will be on three teams the Sens, Flyers and Bolts. The Sens could very well run into a team like the Devils or Thrashers who might not have much to lose and knock the Sens out again.

That is if the Lighning even makes it. Their goaltending is a disaster right now, so much so that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them fall short and not get in.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Ginger on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:13 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
FlyerNation wrote:Rags - Lundqvist Not proven

I really can't stand the Rangers. But this kid's got "it". He'll be the 'surprise' of this years playoffs!

They have Lundqvist, they also have Petr Prucha. You gotta think about that roster is loaded & ready to go this year, like them or not. Jagr's still on top.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins