Alfredsson's Non-Apology Apology

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Alfredsson's Non-Apology Apology

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:31 am

"You make comments in the media and it gets scrutinized," he told reporters after the game-day skate. "I knew right after I said it that it was probably going to become a big deal, and there was going to be a lot of attention paid to it.

"I look back now, and now that I think about it, I probably shouldn't have said it, I guess."


You know, Daniel, you are the leader of a team that has gagged in the playoffs how many years in a row? Maybe if you had Sid's intensity you would be able to get over the hump. You are a POC, plain and simple.

You know what they say, for every rule, there's an exception. Well, as a rule, Swedish players are classier than maybe any other country's. You are the exception.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby DelPen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:34 am

I love how the norm today is not apologizing for saying or doing something wrong or stupid. People don't apologize for the act taken, they apologize for how people feel about the act.

The "I'm sorry people thought I was wrong" or "I'm sorry you feel hurt by what I did" shirks all responsibility of your actions.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,960
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:40 am

I just think it's funny that Alfredsson is so **** full of himself these days! :lol: After 9 seasons of marginal stardom he finally has a breakthrough thanks to two tremendous linemates. Now that he is a big shot superstar in canada all anyone wants to talk about is an 18 year old kid whos rookie season will go down in history as better than each Alfredssons first 9 seasons. Taking jabs at Crosby is so funny because he is just oozing with jealosy and egomania.
NIN
 

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:53 am

NIN wrote:I just think it's funny that Alfredsson is so **** full of himself these days! :lol: After 9 seasons of marginal stardom he finally has a breakthrough thanks to two tremendous linemates. Now that he is a big shot superstar in canada all anyone wants to talk about is an 18 year old kid whos rookie season will go down in history as better than each Alfredssons first 9 seasons. Taking jabs at Crosby is so funny because he is just oozing with jealosy and egomania.


What were Howdy Doody's numbers in *his* rookie season?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:00 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
NIN wrote:I just think it's funny that Alfredsson is so **** full of himself these days! :lol: After 9 seasons of marginal stardom he finally has a breakthrough thanks to two tremendous linemates. Now that he is a big shot superstar in canada all anyone wants to talk about is an 18 year old kid whos rookie season will go down in history as better than each Alfredssons first 9 seasons. Taking jabs at Crosby is so funny because he is just oozing with jealosy and egomania.


What were Howdy Doody's numbers in *his* rookie season?


About the same as Seth Green's. :)

The best part about that quote is that he isn't apologizing for calling Crosby a cryass. He's expressing regret about going public with it. :?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,375
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby topshelf on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:18 am

Daniel Alfredsson's Career Stats:
-----------------------------
95-96: 26 G | 35 A | 61 PTS
96-97: 24 G | 47 A | 71 PTS
97-98: 17 G | 28 A | 45 PTS
98-99: 11 G | 22 A | 33 PTS
99-00: 21 G | 38 A | 59 PTS
00-01: 24 G | 46 A | 70 PTS
01-02: 37 G | 34 A | 71 PTS
02-03: 27 G | 51 A | 78 PTS
03-04: 32 G | 48 A | 80 PTS


Sidney Crosby's Current Stats:
-----------------------------
05-06: 31 G | 45 A | 76 PTS

He is only 10 points ahead of Crosby this year, playing on a WAY better team. Crosby also has more points this year than the likes of:

Peter Forsberg
Brad Richards
Joe Sakic
Simon Gagne
Mike Modano
Vinny Lecavalier
Erik Cole
Markus Naslund
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,595
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:13 am
Location: Florida

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:23 am

topshelf wrote:
He is only 10 points ahead of Crosby this year, playing on a WAY better team. Crosby also has more points this year than the likes of:

Peter Forsberg
Brad Richards
Joe Sakic
Simon Gagne
Mike Modano
Vinny Lecavalier
Erik Cole
Markus Naslund


Not to mention Sid will put up more points at 18 than this POC has ever put up in a season until this year.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:07 pm

To be fair to Forsberg and Gagne...

They both were out a decent amount of time this season.

If they were in the line-up and healthy, I think they would have put up pretty big numbers this year.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,611
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:39 pm

ziggystardust wrote:lol this "POC" you're talking about is really freaking amazing at both ends of the ice.


Being a good player and POC are not mutually exclusive. See Bertuzzi, Todd.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:42 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
topshelf wrote:
He is only 10 points ahead of Crosby this year, playing on a WAY better team. Crosby also has more points this year than the likes of:

Peter Forsberg
Brad Richards
Joe Sakic
Simon Gagne
Mike Modano
Vinny Lecavalier
Erik Cole
Markus Naslund


Not to mention Sid will put up more points at 18 than this POC has ever put up in a season until this year.


lol this "POC" you're talking about is really freaking amazing at both ends of the ice.


Pens fans amaze me with their defense of Sid's actions. What Alfredsson said was 100% true, and Crosby's attitude would be the sole reason that he loses the Calder if in fact he caught Ovechkin in the points race.

The humor in all of this is how Alfreddson becomes a POC overnight because he called out Sid for acting like a brat with the refs, which he does, STILL!!

I don't hold it against Sid, because he is 18, but for a guy of Alfreddson's stature in the League to be asked a question - well shame on him for giving his actual opinion.

This garbage about his great linemates is just that. Spezza has been in and out of the lineup all year. Martin breaks up that first line often, and his linemates last night were not all-stars. He had a goal and a nice assist without Heatley of Spezza.

He plays both ends of the ice, he kills penalties, he is on the first PP unit and he produces in all phases.

He is a star player that doesn't carp about being on a team that rolls 4 lines almost every single night. I watch them a lot, and Martin rests that top line (when they are together) as their games get out of hand (which they often do).

He gets double-shifted many nights with the 4th line as their center. If Spezza is such a stud that he elevates Alfreddson's stats, why isn't he getting that shift? Why, because Alfreddson is one of the most complete players in the NHL and has been for years.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,282
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Postby Admin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:51 pm

And people wonder why most players shy away from saying anything of interest? I'd rather have a player give his honest opinion.
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11,002
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:55 pm

Admin wrote:And people wonder why most players shy away from saying anything of interest? I'd rather have a player give his honest opinion.


The only people offended by it were Pens fans, and these are mostly the same folks who only refer to the best player in NHL history as "stain" because he has a better resume than Lemieux.

It's silly, really, that they are angry for a guy saying the same thing that most of them have said on here, which is Sid needs to shut up and play.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,282
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Postby Admin on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:03 pm

The Snapshot wrote:...the best player in NHL history as "stain"

Who calls Kip Miller "stain"? :lol:
Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11,002
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:04 am

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:11 pm

Admin wrote:And people wonder why most players shy away from saying anything of interest? I'd rather have a player give his honest opinion.


So would I, and then I can know who is a class act and who isn't. Like Therrien said, players should not go around criticizing other players. Alfredsson is a loser and always will be.

Snapshot wrote:The only people offended by it were Pens fans, and these are mostly the same folks who only refer to the best player in NHL history as "stain" because he has a better resume than Lemieux.


To even use Alfredsson's name in the same sentence with Gretzky and Mario is laughable. WTF has Alfredsson ever done to even earn the right to be listened to? He is a solid NHLer who happens to be having a career year this year. His team has never even made a Cup final. In fact, despite being perenially favored, they have made it past the second round all of one time with him as their "leader." Compare that to the, oh, say, seven Cups won by Mario and Wayne.

And no, I have never been one to begrudge Gretzky's status. In fact, you can find many times on this board where I have criticized those who rip Gretzky. But I know a lack of class when I see it, and I see it in Bozo.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:11 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Admin wrote:And people wonder why most players shy away from saying anything of interest? I'd rather have a player give his honest opinion.


The only people offended by it were Pens fans, and these are mostly the same folks who only refer to the best player in NHL history as "stain" because he has a better resume than Lemieux.

It's silly, really, that they are angry for a guy saying the same thing that most of them have said on here, which is Sid needs to shut up and play.


I think the hysteria most Pens fans have over Crosby is laughable. When he is insulted or Ovechkin is praised many Pens fans act as if their mother's character has been impugned. That said...

Alfie lives in a glass house. His comments about Crosby may be accurate, but the guy has been an absolute no-show in the playoffs. His results as the Captain of a favored team versus the Leafs the past few playoffs have been dismal. His career record of goals scored and production in game 7s is non-existent. I read a column online the other day that detailed his failures. The guy does not have the stature in the game IMO to be passing judgement on other players. He is not a Lemieux, Gretzky, Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Jagr, etc. Guys that have produced huge numbers and won Cups as playoff warriors. The Pens and classy Crosby most of all took the high road in not firing back. I'm sure the Pens PR staff could have provided a mile long list of Alfie playoff failures for them to recite to an eager press corps, but they chose to not insult another player through the press. As Therien said this stuff belongs on the ice. How many players could you name that could not have their game picked apart in some way, shape, or form by another player if they honestly answered that question posed to them by a reporter?
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

so the deal is...

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:12 pm

Admin wrote:And people wonder why most players shy away from saying anything of interest? I'd rather have a player give his honest opinion.


how's this for irony...the player accused of being whiny hasn't commented
at all to alfredsson showing a higher degree of maturity than *me*.

Just like I heard on OLN ; why the Sid backlash? If you like AO this
doesn't mean you must ignore Sid's talents? It will take a few plays
at the world championship for Canada to fall in love with Sid again...not while he's a penguin.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,640
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Have fun, kick butt!

Postby Kovy27 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:17 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
topshelf wrote:
He is only 10 points ahead of Crosby this year, playing on a WAY better team. Crosby also has more points this year than the likes of:

Peter Forsberg
Brad Richards
Joe Sakic
Simon Gagne
Mike Modano
Vinny Lecavalier
Erik Cole
Markus Naslund


Not to mention Sid will put up more points at 18 than this POC has ever put up in a season until this year.


lol this "POC" you're talking about is really freaking amazing at both ends of the ice.


Pens fans amaze me with their defense of Sid's actions. What Alfredsson said was 100% true, and Crosby's attitude would be the sole reason that he loses the Calder if in fact he caught Ovechkin in the points race.

The humor in all of this is how Alfreddson becomes a POC overnight because he called out Sid for acting like a brat with the refs, which he does, STILL!!

I don't hold it against Sid, because he is 18, but for a guy of Alfreddson's stature in the League to be asked a question - well shame on him for giving his actual opinion.

This garbage about his great linemates is just that. Spezza has been in and out of the lineup all year. Martin breaks up that first line often, and his linemates last night were not all-stars. He had a goal and a nice assist without Heatley of Spezza.

He plays both ends of the ice, he kills penalties, he is on the first PP unit and he produces in all phases.

He is a star player that doesn't carp about being on a team that rolls 4 lines almost every single night. I watch them a lot, and Martin rests that top line (when they are together) as their games get out of hand (which they often do).

He gets double-shifted many nights with the 4th line as their center. If Spezza is such a stud that he elevates Alfreddson's stats, why isn't he getting that shift? Why, because Alfreddson is one of the most complete players in the NHL and has been for years.


The sad fact of it is Snapshot is...when you are a Pens fan, and someone says something completely correct about a player on your team...this is the reaction.

Sidney's whining attitude needs to go. He will be a force in this league, but he will carry the crybaby, whiner label...if he keeps up this attitude he has.

Get the respect of the league first Sidney, then your opinion will matter a whole lot more than it does now.

As far as the Calder Trophy race...I think they are leaving out one huge name, and that is Henrik Lundqvist. He has been stellar in the nets for the Rangers this year, and without him, I don't think they would even be close to where they are. He has a 2.12 GAA, .926 Save %, and 28-9-8 record! Where's the love for Lundqvist??
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,611
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:19 pm

Draftnik wrote:I think the hysteria most Pens fans have over Crosby is laughable. When he is insulted or Ovechkin is praised many Pens fans act as if their mother's character has been impugned.


Look, I am not arguing about what he said. I have said the same myself. I am by no means a Crosby apologist. I have said, and will continue to say, he has to knock that stuff off if he wants to be respected. The complaint I have is a supposed leader like Alffie saying it. It makes him look bad. And he has not earned a big enough status because of his playoff failures to be able to say stuff like that.

And for the record, AO, if not Lundqvist, is the ROY, not Sid. And I have no problem whatsoever with that.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Draftnik wrote:I think the hysteria most Pens fans have over Crosby is laughable. When he is insulted or Ovechkin is praised many Pens fans act as if their mother's character has been impugned.


Look, I am not arguing about what he said. I have said the same myself. I am by no means a Crosby apologist. I have said, and will continue to say, he has to knock that stuff off if he wants to be respected. The complaint I have is a supposed leader like Alffie saying it. It makes him look bad. And he has not earned a big enough status because of his playoff failures to be able to say stuff like that.

And for the record, AO, if not Lundqvist, is the ROY, not Sid. And I have no problem whatsoever with that.


What I get a huge laugh at is the discussion we had on LGP back around November where I made the comment on the old board (and a only a couple of other posters agreed) that if Sid kept this up he'd lose the respect of other players... That's since turned in to our running joke about Sid's "Potty mouth".

Back then so many posters were of the opinion that Sid's on ice behavior wasn't an issue. Obviously with the rumours of his bristling and indignation when Recchi told him to tone it down, coupled with these comments out of Ottawa, well... let's hope he's turned it around. Reputations don't take long to get, but they seem to take forever to get rid of.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:59 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:]

To even use Alfredsson's name in the same sentence with Gretzky and Mario is laughable. WTF has Alfredsson ever done to even earn the right to be listened to? He is a solid NHLer who happens to be having a career year this year. His team has never even made a Cup final. In fact, despite being perenially favored, they have made it past the second round all of one time with him as their "leader." Compare that to the, oh, say, seven Cups won by Mario and Wayne.


Um, he was ASKED a question and he answered it with his opinion. I guess he should have said "no comment, I'm no Mario or Gretzky".

Mike, admit it, you are just protecting your baby boy. He needs to grow up and stop the b*tching.

As for Alfreddson, you can blame him for the Sens failures in the Playoffs, but it took more than him to sink that ship. He plays hard every night in every zone, and his Gold Medal is a pretty nice achievement. Sid didn't make team Canade partly because of maturity issues.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,282
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:13 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Um, he was ASKED a question and he answered it with his opinion. I guess he should have said "no comment, I'm no Mario or Gretzky".

Mike, admit it, you are just protecting your baby boy. He needs to grow up and stop the b*tching.



What Alffie said:

"He doesn't get frustrated if he gets hit, either," Alfredsson said, speaking about Washington Capitals rookie Alexander Ovechkin. "He gets up and keeps playing. Not like the other rookie (Crosby), who starts crying. I think there's a big difference in the attitude."


What he could have said:

"Right now, Ovechkin is the better all-around player. He has done some amazing things on the ice. He'd be my pick for rookie of the year."

There, he gets the message across that AO is better without ripping another player.

Can you imagine what somebody like Stevie Y would say about Alfredsson, if he spoke like him?

"His playoff chokes have been a big reason his team can't even get to the finals. Had they had better leadership, my guess is they might have won a Cup or two by now."

But Stevie Y and 99 percent of players have more class than Alffie and would never call a player out in public.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:18 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:


What Alffie said:

"He doesn't get frustrated if he gets hit, either," Alfredsson said, speaking about Washington Capitals rookie Alexander Ovechkin. "He gets up and keeps playing. Not like the other rookie (Crosby), who starts crying. I think there's a big difference in the attitude."


It sounds like Alfie was asked a question about Ovechkin then went out of his way to rip Crosby.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,011
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:52 pm
Location: Peters Twp.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:21 pm

"He doesn't get frustrated if he gets hit, either," Alfredsson said, speaking about Washington Capitals rookie Alexander Ovechkin. "He gets up and keeps playing".
.... and playing and playing and playing ... until his coach yanks him off the ice and benches his sorry butt.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:27 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
"His playoff chokes have been a big reason his team can't even get to the finals. Had they had better leadership, my guess is they might have won a Cup or two by now."


So if the Sens wins the Cup this year, I guess only Alfreddson's name goes on it? You're being ridiculous, over a simple comment he made about a guy who has about 15 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties this year.

My guess is that Steve Yzerman would say that he would welcome a chance to play with Alfie.

The guy has a spotless record as a man in this league, and yet you want him crucified because he dared say Crosby is a whiner? How about Hitchcock's comments? He's won a Cup, can he say that Crsoby is a whiner? How about Forsberg? He's won a few cups and two gold medals. he even scored the gamer in the gold medal game in a shootout. Can he say Sid's a whiner?

Your only defense of your statement isn't that it's false, it's that Alfie is classless because he hasn't won a Cup, even though he's been one of the best two-way players in the league for about the last 4 years?

He was asked, he said it, it is true. Crosby ought to thank him, because he's the guy who said it out loud, but the entire league is getting very sick of Sid's on-ice act. I know I am, except for the scoring part...

Sid should just take it, and adjust his attitude. It's just immaturity showing through.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,282
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:34 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
So if the Sens wins the Cup this year, I guess only Alfreddson's name goes on it? You're being ridiculous, over a simple comment he made about a guy who has about 15 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties this year.

My guess is that Steve Yzerman would say that he would welcome a chance to play with Alfie.

The guy has a spotless record as a man in this league, and yet you want him crucified because he dared say Crosby is a whiner? How about Hitchcock's comments? He's won a Cup, can he say that Crsoby is a whiner? How about Forsberg? He's won a few cups and two gold medals. he even scored the gamer in the gold medal game in a shootout. Can he say Sid's a whiner?

Your only defense of your statement isn't that it's false, it's that Alfie is classless because he hasn't won a Cup, even though he's been one of the best two-way players in the league for about the last 4 years?

He was asked, he said it, it is true. Crosby ought to thank him, because he's the guy who said it out loud, but the entire league is getting very sick of Sid's on-ice act. I know I am, except for the scoring part...

Sid should just take it, and adjust his attitude. It's just immaturity showing through.


Image How many times do I have to say that I am not arguing with you about whether it's true. Of course he whines, and it is indeed unbecoming, and needs to stop. All things I have said many times.

But that is not the point of my argument. My point is that it is also unbecoming for Alfredsson to call out another player like that. It just isn't done. I made the point by imagining what another player might say about him if they were being as brutally honest as Alffie was. I never said he was classless because he hasn't won a Cup. I just said he was classless, and he will be classless even if they win this year.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,780
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Admin, Beveridge, blurryhaze312, BurghThing, cojac, Dan H, DelPen, DropEmJayBird, DudeMan2766, E-Ramone, farnham16, GDR, Grunthy, Hugo Stiglitz, lazydaze203, LEorangeTANG58, luv66, MalkinIsMyHomeboy, nocera, pens2005, PghSkins, She'sTheFastest, SpinnerSpencer, Staggy, Steve, Steve Dave, The U and 88 guests


e-mail