Alfredsson's Non-Apology Apology

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Ginger on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:34 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Admin wrote:And people wonder why most players shy away from saying anything of interest? I'd rather have a player give his honest opinion.

The only people offended by it were Pens fans, and these are mostly the same folks who only refer to the best player in NHL history as "stain" because he has a better resume than Lemieux.

It's silly, really, that they are angry for a guy saying the same thing that most of them have said on here, which is Sid needs to shut up and play.

As much as I dislike Alfredsson, he spoke the truth & we *all* know this. Can the entire hockey world be wrong when it comes to Crosby, but only we see the *real* deal? It's not like Alfie is the only one saying these things.

I'm not saying that Crosby doesn't have good reason to be upset most games. That's not what this is about. It's how he handles it. And he handles it really badly. This will haunt him the rest of his career if he doesn't get it in check now. Gregs feeling is that because he's been a special kid his whole life, he's used to being 'looked after' when anyone goes after him. He prolly ran to Dad if the refs didn't take care of him as a kid.

Well, welcome to the NHL Sidney...now I'm afraid you're going to have to grow up.
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Sid hasn't said word-one

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:35 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Mad City Mike wrote:
"His playoff chokes have been a big reason his team can't even get to the finals. Had they had better leadership, my guess is they might have won a Cup or two by now."

So if the Sens wins the Cup this year, I guess only Alfreddson's name goes on it? You're being ridiculous, over a simple comment he made about a guy who has about 15 unsportsmanlike conduct penalties this year.

My guess is that Steve Yzerman would say that he would welcome a chance to play with Alfie.

The guy has a spotless record as a man in this league, and yet you want him crucified because he dared say Crosby is a whiner? How about Hitchcock's comments? He's won a Cup, can he say that Crsoby is a whiner? How about Forsberg? He's won a few cups and two gold medals. he even scored the gamer in the gold medal game in a shootout. Can he say Sid's a whiner?

Your only defense of your statement isn't that it's false, it's that Alfie is classless because he hasn't won a Cup, even though he's been one of the best two-way players in the league for about the last 4 years?

He was asked, he said it, it is true. Crosby ought to thank him, because he's the guy who said it out loud, but the entire league is getting very sick of Sid's on-ice act. I know I am, except for the scoring part...

Sid should just take it, and adjust his attitude. It's just immaturity showing through.

Sid did not & has not said anything about D Alfredsson...it was the
reverse.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Sid hasn't said word-one

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:44 pm

penny lane wrote:
reverse.

I didn't say he said anything about Alfredsson. What I said was that he needs to shut up and play, not yapping at the refs.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

ad nauseum...from me

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:56 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
penny lane wrote:
reverse.

I didn't say he said anything about Alfredsson. What I said was that he needs to shut up and play, not yapping at the refs.

~save for Sidney getting out of the way; he could have been planted
right on the shelf due to a dirty hit last night~

i can admit to feeling protective about an 18 year; he's smart so
anything that in his path of success he'll fix!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:59 pm

Let's put a little blame on Lemieux and Recchi for their constant whining and complaining towards the refs early in the season that gave Sidney a terrible example to follow. He's 18-years old and a player like him, he's competing hard and wants to win.

The off-ice stuff by Alfredsson and Recchi, totally uncalled for.

And let me tell anyone that doesn't want to believe, Alfredsson is a huge complainer. Have you ever watched him in the playoffs? He goes hiding in the corner and blames the refs and his teammates... year after year.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:12 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:
Image How many times do I have to say that I am not arguing with you about whether it's true. Of course he whines, and it is indeed unbecoming, and needs to stop. All things I have said many times.

But that is not the point of my argument. My point is that it is also unbecoming for Alfredsson to call out another player like that. It just isn't done. I made the point by imagining what another player might say about him if they were being as brutally honest as Alffie was. I never said he was classless because he hasn't won a Cup. I just said he was classless, and he will be classless even if they win this year.

And my point is that you are making him out to be a demon because he said that same thing that Forsberg and Hitchcock also concurred with, and mainly because he said it about Sid and not another player.

I guess, in the end, I'll have to leave you alone with your anger ':evil:'
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:21 pm

The Snapshot wrote:And my point is that you are making him out to be a demon because he said that same thing that Forsberg and Hitchcock also concurred with, and mainly because he said it about Sid and not another player.

I guess, in the end, I'll have to leave you alone with your anger ':evil:'

Well, Forsberg is another classless Swede, the way he flops at the slightest touch. I will admit, he knows a diver when he sees one. As for Hitch, what got him all atwitter was watching Sid cry after a legimate intent to injure by TDTCS wasn't called. I don't blame Sid at all for that one. Most of the others, yes, he needs to shut his yap and just play. You can play with an edge wuthout crying to the refs all the time, and he better figure out how, or he will not gain the respect that his play should be earning him.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:29 pm

The bottom line is Alfie backed off his comments yesterday. I don't know if it was shown on US TV, but he basically parsed words with a reporter by claiming Crosby isn't a crybaby even though he is on record as saying Crosby cries.

Criticizing players on other teams through the media is a low class move if it isn't regarding controversial on ice events between the two teams, especially when he wasn't even answering a question about Crosby.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:33 pm

I don't think I'd go THAT far ziggydude...he still needs a Cup. And, even then, I don't think he'd ever be the best player in the league.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:40 pm

ziggystardust wrote:absolutely beautiful post. Alfreddson gets it done in all situations, period. He does whatever his team asks him to do, and does it at a very high level. IMO, he's the best player in the league.

You also think Joe Melichar is good and Dwayne Roloson will thrive in Edmonton so your credibility is called into question. Just kidding, sort of...

Anyway, look at the stats:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... B%5D=18514

The past 2 seasons when the Sens were Eastern Conference Cup favorites your boy Alfie did not get it done. 25 games, 5 goals, 6 assists. That is sissy boy pathetic. He was a point per game and almost .5 goal per game player those 2 regular seasons. When the going gets tough Alfie packs it in. That is a fact, not my opinion. The Sens were intimidated by a less talented TML team and Alfie as the Captain did nothing to answer the challenge and lead his team to victory over an inferior opponent. Lalime kept the Toronto GAA down until game 7 of 04 when his team was shutout anyway, so he was not the problem.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:43 pm

ziggystardust wrote:Alfreddson gets it done in all situations, period.

True, except playoffs.

Regular season: 693 GP, 257 G, 398 A, 655 Pts
Playoffs: 69 GP, 27 G,, 21 A, 48 Pts

His production, like that of many players, drops dramatically in the playoffs. But the truly elite players maintain or even increase their output in the playoffs. Fact is, he simply hasn't gotten it done on the biggest stage.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:08 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
Pitts wrote:I don't think I'd go THAT far ziggydude...he still needs a Cup. And, even then, I don't think he'd ever be the best player in the league.

right now, who is better?
Alfie is great defensively. Alfie is great on the PK. Alfie is great on the PP. Alfie has soft hands and very good vision.
What more can you ask for? He might not lead the league in scoring, but what does that matter? He's still in the top five I believe. He's still a great offensive player.

Like I said, he doesn't have a Cup (hasn't even made it to the conference finals), so he can't yet be considered "The Best", or even among them. Jagr, for one, is heads and shoulders above "Alfie" right now. Forsberg, for all his injuries is heads and shoulders above Alfie. Those two are among the best in the game.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:50 pm

All I know is that Alfredsson was in no way goated into making disparaging remarks towards Crosby. Priasing Ovechkin and stating why he is better than everyone else is fine, Going out of your way to say that a player "crys" when he is hit is absolutely uncalled for.

We all know Crosby yaps at the refs and he losses his composure at times, every 18 year old I ever seen play does sooner or later and he is exceptionally intense for an 18 year old. So why should anybody find it incombant upon themselves to point that out and in such a rude fashion? It is unexceptable from anybody but then you look at this guy and you have to say to yourself."Who the **** are you?" I mean Ziggy go ahead and kiss the guys butt all you want, players like him have come and gone and will continue to. The game has a special group of YOUNG players that are different from each other but the all contribute to making this sport great and there is no need to bash any of them for anything.

Alfredsson is a poison to the sport and he only thinks about himself. I hope he doesnt "cry" when he gets **** in the ass by Broduer and the Devils.
NIN

Postby penscup on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:10 am

"Well, Forsberg is another classless Swede, the way he flops at the slightest touch. I will admit, he knows a diver when he sees one."

Yeah, he's also arguably still one the most talented player in the league today who led his team to 2 Stanley Cups (as many as Mario), lost his spleen because of all the beatings he took, and fights through 3-4 checks for every one he supposedly "flops" on. Only Jagr is better at controlling the puck with two guys hangin off him IMO. Somehow "classless" isn't the first word that comes to mind when I think of Forsberg, but I could be wrong.
Everyone in this league flops at one point or another, it is unavoidable when you know the ref's gotta call it and it could create a big advantage for your team in a crucial situation (Mario being one of the biggest culprits in recent memory). The new rules this year were put in place to try and minimize this, but wheter they were effective enough or not is debatable.

Sidney's problem is his mouthing off afterward. Sometimes its warranted like when he lost 2 front teeth against Philly and other times its not, but I agree he'll learn and adjust well in the future to deal with it. Other players and coaches calling him out for it is inappropriate IMO. Let the refs deal with him and let everyone else worry about themselves. If you don't have nuthin good to say don't say nuthin at all. We've seen Sid fight through more than his fair share of tough checks this year without complaining to know how tough a kid he really is. He's getting a bad rap because of all the attention focused on him I believe.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins