radio post - game

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

radio post - game

Postby penny lane on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:59 pm

Last night Bob Grove had 2 calls dealing with Mike Lange.
they were complaining about his work this year.
During the Toronto game, at the end, did Mr. Lange say
B McCabe did right by waiting till the end of the game to mug Sidney?
One caller sighted this as an example of Lange's current work.

Bob wasn't "seeing" any of this discussion. I wonder
when the last time he heard Mr. Lange call a game.
Being in the HOF should not give you a free pass for poor
quality.

Just like on KDKA, penguin announcers/network , are not
going to get into a co-workers evaluation.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:05 pm

I haven't cared for Lange since around 2000. He seems more interested in being a league/team PR person than saying anything of interest. Maybe that is why I like the trash talking sidekicks... I want Tags back! They make up for Lange's over the top sowdered sugar commentary.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: radio post - game

Postby MWB on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:32 pm

penny lane wrote:Last night Bob Grove had 2 calls dealing with Mike Lange.

quality.

He did say this, and he was absolutely right. He explained that late, in a tight game, what's the incentive of an opposing player to not take out Crosby, or any other big time player. Yes, you'd get a penalty, but with just 3 seconds left, it doesn't matter. The main thing is he doesn't score.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Peter on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:26 pm

When the penguins suck as bad as they do, what do you want him to say? Really you guys complain about everybody - Lange, Errey, CP, Mario, etc, etc, etc. You will not be satisfied with anyone.
Peter

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:32 pm

Peter wrote:When the penguins suck as bad as they do, what do you want him to say? Really you guys complain about everybody - Lange, Errey, CP, Mario, etc, etc, etc. You will not be satisfied with anyone.

Hmmmmm.... now lets see, staisifed with a team that finished last in the league for two consecutive seasons.... Hmmmmmm, staisfied with the worst Barn in the league. Hmmmmmm, satisfied with a team that has a GM that the President of Hockey operations won't commit to bringing back beacuse he's done such a lousy job, Hmmmmm, satisfied with a franchise who's owner threatens to sell on a seemly monthly basis.

I'm surprised that this team has as many die-hard fans (Of which I'm one), as it does to be honest.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Peter on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:14 pm

Well as you like to point out so much to the Flyers fans, we've been consistent in the past and have won 2 cups.

But I was mainly talking about the broadcasters. When I watch a game or listen on the radio, the thought I hate langue doesn't enter my mind. I just watch the game. There is nothing to complain about. Lange praises other teams because they deserve it and are better than us. What's wrong with that? Errey points out mistakes by our team which are true, what's wrong with that?
Peter

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:49 pm

Peter wrote:Well as you like to point out so much to the Flyers fans, we've been consistent in the past and have won 2 cups.

But I was mainly talking about the broadcasters. When I watch a game or listen on the radio, the thought I hate langue doesn't enter my mind. I just watch the game. There is nothing to complain about. Lange praises other teams because they deserve it and are better than us. What's wrong with that? Errey points out mistakes by our team which are true, what's wrong with that?

I do like to point those facts out to Flyers fans... But we're having a discussion inside the family right? :-) :-)

There's nothing wrong with talking other teams and players up, or pointing out our players faults. It's just that you *can* have too much of a good thing.

Mike used to be a little more focused on who his target audience was (Pens Fans) I think he's lost focus on that in recent years.

Errey, well, Bob is Bob. For some reason he's really taken a liking to pointing out mistakes and is very stingy with praise.

I'm not one who takes shots at Mike for sport, in fact, this observation is coming from someone who not only likes Mike Lang personaly, but who used to watch Blues acts at the same table he did on Thursday nights at Excuses on the South Side at least once a month throughout the late 80's and early 90's.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby netwolf on Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:14 pm

If they would just run the radio feed on the same delay as the televison one, it wouldn't matter. Bourque is immensely better than Errey IMO, and although I never thought I'd say it, Steigy has suprassed Lange.

Maybe Lange and Errey wouldn't seem as bad if the team wasn't getting it handed to them night after night.

I am still waiting to see a simulcast with Lange doing PBP, Steigy doing color, and Bourque between the benches. Errey can report from the concession stand. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Ginger on Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:47 am

netwolf wrote:
Maybe Lange and Errey wouldn't seem as bad if the team wasn't getting it handed to them night after night.

I am still waiting to see a simulcast with Lange doing PBP, Steigy doing color, and Bourque between the benches. Errey can report from the concession stand. :wink:

YES!!!! Yesyesyesyesyes! :D

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, isn't it?
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:31 am

Ginger wrote:Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Lets do it on a night when the Pens wear those snazzy blue and white sweaters.
We could make it Gulf Oil employee night.
Special guest Ring-side Rosie will sing the national anthem.
Special guest NosMoKing could drop the first puck
If the Pens score three or more goals, everyone gets a free order of fries at Winkies (Wilmerding location only)
Tomorrow you can read about the game in the Pittsburgh Press or if you can't wait that long watch tonights WIIC broadcast with Bill Curry on sports.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:31 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:

If the Pens score three or more goals, everyone gets a free order of fries at Winkies (Wilmerding location only)
Tomorrow you can read about the game in the Pittsburgh Press or if you can't wait that long watch tonights WIIC broadcast with Bill Curry on sports.

You forgot one thing - two word: chili goal. :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:34 am

netwolf wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

"Where's the beef?" - the late Claire Peller

I honestly didn't think anyone would get any of the references above... is anyone on this board old enough to even remember that "There's no Winkie's in Wilmerding?"
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

shark- cards with JAWS music

Postby penny lane on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:49 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
netwolf wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

"Where's the beef?" - the late Claire Peller

I honestly didn't think anyone would get any of the references above... is anyone on this board old enough to even remember that "There's no Winkie's in Wilmerding?"

Special guest NosMoKing could drop the first puck :?: who/what

I want to hear at the Igloo somebody playing the JAWS music when penguins go on a power-play.
I have one in my cubicle...CAPITALS & over it was the NOT. :P
a classic
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Goalie on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:47 am

quality.

Lange did not say McCabe should wait to mug Sidney until the end of the game. He said that at the end of a one goal if you have to tackle someone to keep them from scoring you better do it. McCabe did everything but steal Sidney's wallet with under 5 seconds left and Lange basically pointed out the obvious, so what if he goes to the penalty box at that point? I guarantee everyone here would want Orpik to do the same thing in front of the net in the same situation.

Regardless of my opinion of the work Lange is doing no one really seems to complain when the Penguins win. However the Penguins have lost a ton lately as we all know and it makes fans react to everything negatively. If the Penguins start winning again next year I get the feeling the opinion of Lange's work is going to change.

I know everyone is tired of oppossing teams but what is Lange supposed to talk about? He is there to broadcast a game, not talk glowingly about every good play the Penguins make which are too few and far between. It is frustrating to hear him talk about players who kill us because they have been killing us for the last couple of years.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:50 am

Goalie wrote:

quality.

Lange did not say McCabe should wait to mug Sidney until the end of the game. He said that at the end of a one goal if you have to tackle someone to keep them from scoring you better do it. McCabe did everything but steal Sidney's wallet with under 5 seconds left and Lange basically pointed out the obvious, so what if he goes to the penalty box at that point? I guarantee everyone here would want Orpik to do the same thing in front of the net in the same situation.

Regardless of my opinion of the work Lange is doing no one really seems to complain when the Penguins win. However the Penguins have lost a ton lately as we all know and it makes fans react to everything negatively. If the Penguins start winning again next year I get the feeling the opinion of Lange's work is going to change.

I know everyone is tired of oppossing teams but what is Lange supposed to talk about? He is there to broadcast a game, not talk glowingly about every good play the Penguins make which are too few and far between. It is frustrating to hear him talk about players who kill us because they have been killing us for the last couple of years.

Just like when Malkin mugged Lecavlier in the olympics. It was a smart play by McCabe to pester Crosby around the net because Crosby lost his composure....again....They will keep doing that because Crosby will keep showing that it bothers him.
NIN

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:52 am

That wasn't "pestering" Crosby...that was a few hard elbows to the chops after time expired. Crosby had a right to react like he did.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:55 am

NIN wrote:They will keep doing that because Crosby will keep showing that it bothers him.

No No No.. Don't you know that it's a good thing that Crosby swears and loses his temper? It's shows that he plays with 'an edge'. :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.letsgopens.com/scripts/phpBB ... .php?t=615
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:58 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
NIN wrote:They will keep doing that because Crosby will keep showing that it bothers him.

No No No.. Don't you know that it's a good thing that Crosby swears and loses his temper? It's shows that he plays with 'an edge'. :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://letsgopens.com/scripts/PensBoard/PensBoard.html

There's a time and place. Hatcher and McCabe were both out of line and deserved whatever lip service they got. Should have been a pummeling though.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins