Three pretty good FA after season-i would have them!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Three pretty good FA after season-i would have them!

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:18 pm

Selanne,Rozsival and Perreault ( if Malkin doesnt come)!!!
Christensen isnt ready enough for second line center anyway probably
Malone is currently better. What will we do with RYAN next season if :
we have C MALKIN; CROSBY; CHRISTENSEN;TALBOT;KOLANOS
TRY MALONE ON WING AGAIN? i would dump Christensen on LW on Crosby line...
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Tocchet on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:20 pm

If you think Ryan Malone is a better center than Eric Christensen, God have mercy on your soul.
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bowser on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:22 pm

Tocchet - I was thinking the same thing. Malone's skating speed has gotten worse. He needs to move to wing.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:25 pm

Malone does not play very well without the puck. I don't think he is a C that can be effective playing W.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Malone on wing again

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:31 pm

Can he be a top six player if is on a wing? Could you imagine him on LW on line with Malkin next season? Malone - Malkin - Morozov TRIPLE M line ;) but yet again Morozov probably wont be here...
AND 1 more thing,folks - if we could keep only 2 players of these 6,who WOULD YOU GUYS CHOOSE :
LW Rita ; C Hilbert ; LW Koltsov ; RW Nordgren ;C/W Kolanos ; LW Surovy
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Malone on wing again

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:36 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Can he be a top six player if is on a wing? Could you imagine him on LW on line with Malkin next season? Malone - Malkin - Morozov TRIPLE M line ;) but yet again Morozov probably wont be here...
AND 1 more thing,folks - if we could keep only 2 players of these 6,who WOULD YOU GUYS CHOOSE :
LW Rita ; C Hilbert ; LW Koltsov ; RW Nordgren ;C/W Kolanos ; LW Surovy

So far, that nod would go to Rita and Hilbert. I'd like to see Kolanos up with the big club at some point though to see how he does.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tocchet on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:45 pm

Malone isn't effective, period. He's so damn slow -- and it was ridiculously evident last night. There also was one instance where he had the puck, but he couldn't generate any speed so kinda toe-dragged it across the blue line to enter the zone...then couldn't do jack afterwards. He's simply not a top 6 forward on a good NHL team, and the sooner that is acknowledged -- despite the fact that he's a Pittsburgh native -- the better the team will be. Hell, I'd much rather have RJ Umberger than Malone.

Out of those 6, the only one that I know that I'd want around is Hilbert. I've been impressed with him. Surovy is decent, but I'm not sure whether he's top 6 material -- in this organization for now, he'll have to do. Nordgren has been invisible, even when he was getting some ice time. Kolanos is a question mark. Koltsov still can be an effective third-line grinder, but kid has got to score SOMEHOW!
Tocchet
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shinoix on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:53 pm

I love how Pens4Life tells us that some players are good enough, while others aren't. Yet he's never seen a game.

Dude, you can't base everything on stats and posts on here. You have to see a game if you're going to start voicing an opinion as strong as yours.

You should be ASKING people on here if one player could play over another player. You shoudln't be TELLING us how the lines should be, and telling us who should play what position etc. Especially ending everyone of your sentences with !!!!!!!!! like you know what you're talking about.
Shinoix

Postby Draftnik on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:54 pm

Tocchet wrote:Malone isn't effective, period. He's so damn slow -- and it was ridiculously evident last night. There also was one instance where he had the puck, but he couldn't generate any speed so kinda toe-dragged it across the blue line to enter the zone...then couldn't do jack afterwards. He's simply not a top 6 forward on a good NHL team, and the sooner that is acknowledged -- despite the fact that he's a Pittsburgh native -- the better the team will be. Hell, I'd much rather have RJ Umberger than Malone.

Out of those 6, the only one that I know that I'd want around is Hilbert. I've been impressed with him. Surovy is decent, but I'm not sure whether he's top 6 material -- in this organization for now, he'll have to do. Nordgren has been invisible, even when he was getting some ice time. Kolanos is a question mark. Koltsov still can be an effective third-line grinder, but kid has got to score SOMEHOW!

I don't disagree with your characterization of Malone on a good team. Ottawa(#2C) and Toronto (#3C or W) were after him pretty hard at the deadline so he still has some value (Andropov from Toronto, I'm not sure what the Sens offered.) He was OK in 03/04 as a C and his play has been better this season once the W experiment ended.

Right now Crosby is the only player on this team IMO that is a legitimate top 6 F on a good team. Armstrong is having a decent run as his wingman, but I think he is 3rd line material on a better team.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:57 pm

Malone isn't effective? I have to disagree. Look how he's done since Therrien benched him the last time and moved him to center:

30 games, 11 goals, 11 assists, 22 points, -6

That's a 30 goal pace for a full season. He also is the team leader in short-handed points. Has it been a disappointing year? Of course. Still, Malone's going to pretty much replicate his numbers from his rookie year. A sophomore slump could be much worse. I don't see how anyone could have watched this team the last two and a half months and not noticed how much better Malone has been. The numbers don't lie. Along with Colby, he's been the best performer on the team behind Crosby. He's contributing in all situations. If he can stay focused for a full year - and Therrien seems to have him under control - he can be a solid, 25-30 goal a year guy. And he's been doing this with LeClair and Boguniecki predominantly. If that's not good enough for most teams out there, I don't know what is.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby scals37 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 am

i agree :D
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:24 am

:lol: Oh man, thank you Pens4life. The comic releif that you provide has helped make this season bearable.

They should sign Joe Corvo away from LA for 2.5/3 and Afiniganov from Buffalo for 2.5/3.
NIN

Postby Bowser on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:26 am

NIN - Have you been reading my mind?

Corvo and Afinogenov are solid candidates to fit in well with a young team like the Penguins.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:33 am

Bowser wrote:NIN - Have you been reading my mind?

Corvo and Afinogenov are solid candidates to fit in well with a young team like the Penguins.

Corvo isn't going anywhere. LA is going through a tough stretch right now, but Corvo is one of the pillars of the team for the future.

Afinogenov is a different story. I think Buffalo may under value him somewhat. I just wish he played in the left side.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:40 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Bowser wrote:NIN - Have you been reading my mind?

Corvo isn't going anywhere. LA is going through a tough stretch right now, but Corvo is one of the pillars of the team for the future.

Afinogenov is a different story. I think Buffalo may under value him somewhat. I just wish he played in the left side.

It might take more than 2.5 but Corvo has his price. They have another great young defenseman and Norstrom can hold the fort for the present time. Obviously they wont want to let him leave but if he becomes too pricey they know it wont be the end of the world.

I don't know if either player would be crazy about playing for a rebuilding team and Therrian's whip cracking might be a turn off for Corvo. I don't think the Pens could go higher than 2.5 for another blueliner.
NIN

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:48 am

Selanne will stay in Anaheim. He loves it there, no reason to leave.
Rozsival...there are better UFA Defensemen that are going to be available.
Perrault...This is the one guy I wanted CP to look at, but no...he's an f'in moron who signs Andre Roy to a big deal. Yanic has been great in Nashville for someone who came in on a tryout contract and is getting paid league min. Way to go CP!

Malone at Center over Erik? Hell no.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:58 am

Rozsival... Just say no!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:35 am

Jim wrote:Rozsival... Just say no!

For real. Poeple act like that +50 or whatever makes him great. His offensive numbers are right about where I expected and the +/- is mostly a product of Lundquist and a good group of players.

If Rozoval was here he would be about a -12, 5 g, 15 a 20 pts, 80 PIM and thats if he stayed healthy all season. I think he was worth 1 mil. but barely.
NIN

Postby FlyerNation on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:51 am

If the Pens didn't sign Perrualt this past season what makes you think they will after this one?

As for Roszival. He blows plain and simple. He's one of those guys I have a hard time understanding how he's lasted this long in the NHL. He was the worse player on the ice last night for the Rags.
FlyerNation

Postby Draftnik on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:30 am

Afinogenov is a RFA. The sites on the web that list him as an UFA are wrong.

Sushinsky however may be interested in returning to the NHL:

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/hockey/news.cgi?dailyslate
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:38 am

Draftnik wrote:Sushinsky however may be interested in returning to the NHL:

Anyone know why he had such a lousy year for the Dynamo this year?

A Russian speaking wing might be a nice compliment for Malkin.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:04 pm

FlyerNation wrote:As for Roszival. He blows plain and simple. He's one of those guys I have a hard time understanding how he's lasted this long in the NHL. He was the worse player on the ice last night for the Rags.

I am happy for Rozsival that he is having a good year, he was a nice guy. But I am also glad that he is not in a Penguin uniform. He is a PRIME example that simply looking at stats tells you NOTHING about the player on the ice.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SirSidTheKid on Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:23 pm

Tocchet wrote:I'd much rather have RJ Umberger than Malone.

Thank you, finally someone said it!!!! im sure RJ would show better heart in this sweater then what Malone does
SirSidTheKid

Postby FlyerNation on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

SirSidTheKid wrote:
Tocchet wrote:I'd much rather have RJ Umberger than Malone.

Thank you, finally someone said it!!!! im sure RJ would show better heart in this sweater then what Malone does

I love Umberger. He's stronger on the puck than Malone, has more speed and is a better playmaker. I wouldn't say he's a better finisher but the difference isn't that huge. He's just as physical as Malone but in a different aspect. Tough kid to come back after that hit last night.
FlyerNation

Shinoix,get a life or brains...

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:07 pm

You still cant leave things the way they are,dont you,SHINOIX.
Im asking people for opinions,read articles,read papers and soo on and on.. I DONT MAKE STUFF UP... I played hockey... I follow pens for 16 years now.... SO GET SOMEBODY ELSE TO jerk around,ass.....
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins