Chara injures hand + Cairns gets 3 games

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Chara injures hand + Cairns gets 3 games

Postby mnpensfan on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:23 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=159767&hubname=

He gets injured due to pounding in EC head.

Also....

Cairns sits 3 games

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=159778&hubname=
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:41 pm

Three games isn't too bad as the 10 that someone said was possible.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeffTZ on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:54 pm

If it would have been 15 games.. would anyone really care?
JeffTZ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:56 pm

So if Whitney still can't go, do they recall someone (Welch) or just dress 5 defensemen? With Cairns' only getting 5 minutes a night, is a replacement necessary?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DrBoni on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:01 pm

Whitney will probably just shake off the neck strain and dress. During the Toronto game he skated to the bench and you could see Johnson giving his neck a rubdown, so it's probably something that's been bothering him for awhile.

But if not, I'd personally like to see Welch called up even if it's just for a few games. Give him a taste of what he has to work towards for next year.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Pensfannn

Postby pensfannn on Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:49 pm

JeffTZ wrote:If it would have been 15 games.. would anyone really care?

Yes, people would care.

This would mean that the Pens would be without their "heavyweight" for 15 games, making Crosby more vulnerable and susceptible to cheap shots and injury. (See: Derian Hatcher, Zdeno Chara, Colin White, Darcy Tucker, Andrej Meszaros, and others' dirty treatment of Sid)

Roy, who suffered a broken orbital bone, would have to carry the enforcer load by himself. A lot to ask with the intra-division schedule we have remaining.

I'm glad it's only 3 games for Cairns. It seems fair, and worth it for the statement he made in defense of Chara's dirty play vs. Sid (and Recchi a couple months ago too!)
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Chara injures hand + Cairns gets 3 games

Postby Draftnik on Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:52 pm

mnpensfan wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=159767&hubname=

I'm not surprised. No mortal head should have taken so many punches without going down. Chara's hand was bound to explode after punching that boulder a million times.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:30 pm

DrBoni wrote:Whitney will probably just shake off the neck strain and dress. During the Toronto game he skated to the bench and you could see Johnson giving his neck a rubdown, so it's probably something that's been bothering him for awhile.

But if not, I'd personally like to see Welch called up even if it's just for a few games. Give him a taste of what he has to work towards for next year.

I think he got hurt when he fell on his head. It's likely that he got a whiplash type injury. I am speaking from personnal experiance of course. He will need an MRI to find out excatly what the deal is but if its anything like I got he can play but it wont be fun. They say it can take up to a year for all of those ligaments and stuff to fully heal from something like that. It's been about 4 months for me and im starting to feel pain free most days.
NIN

Re: Chara injures hand + Cairns gets 3 games

Postby wondermoose on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:33 pm

Draftnik wrote:
mnpensfan wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=159767&hubname=

I'm not surprised. No mortal head should have taken so many punches without going down. Chara's hand was bound to explode after punching that boulder a million times.

lol
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins