More Arena news...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

More Arena news...

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:48 am

Articles stating the obvious, but unspoken (except around LGP) truth about the cost of NOT getting a new Arena.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-rev ... 36394.html

"Even if Pittsburgh doesn't get a new arena, taxpayers would absorb "significant cost" to keep Mellon Arena in working order, the city-county Sports & Exhibition Authority said Thursday."

The head of the State Gaming Board, Thomas "Tad" Decker, still doesn't get that fact... he thinks ithe IoC proposal is all about "saving the Pens"
(He'll be on KDKA's Sunday edition this weekend)

http://kdka.com/local/local_story_082192413.html

Meanwhile Rendell Fiddles:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06082/675351.stm

"Mr. Rendell has said he is crafting a plan that would not involve slot machine revenue."

And an article on Santorums appearance on MM's show yesterday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06083/675969.stm
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: More Arena news...

Postby penny lane on Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:26 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:Articles stating the obvious, but unspoken (except around LGP) truth about the cost of NOT getting a new Arena.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-rev ... 36394.html

"Even if Pittsburgh doesn't get a new arena, taxpayers would absorb "significant cost" to keep Mellon Arena in working order, the city-county Sports & Exhibition Authority said Thursday."

The head of the State Gaming Board, Thomas "Tad" Decker, still doesn't get that fact... he thinks ithe IoC proposal is all about "saving the Pens"
(He'll be on KDKA's Sunday edition this weekend)

http://kdka.com/local/local_story_082192413.html

Meanwhile Rendell Fiddles:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06082/675351.stm

"Mr. Rendell has said he is crafting a plan that would not involve slot machine revenue."

And an article on Santorums appearance on MM's show yesterday.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06083/675969.stm

politics does make strangebedfellows...Rick Santorum & Mark Madden :P

How in Hades can governor rendell look the mayor & county exec in the face and say come up with a plan B ... with public funds + non-existant penguin funds for building when a IOC plan is there for all to see?

Hey Governor come join us at the Igloo, remember to duck if something comes apart tonight... :oops:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dboss on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:48 am

Santorum just got my vote come November.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:53 am

Maybe its not about saving the Pens, but it is about saving Pittsburgh.

And what is best for Pittsburgh is good for the state.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:51 am

Thanks for the links. Good info.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jerez on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:46 pm

dboss wrote:Santorum just got my vote come November.

I hope nobody really intends to vote for Santorum just because he said he backs the new arena plan. (note I am not inserting my own political beliefs here)

U.S. Senator is a very important office, and you should seriously consider all the issues before you decide who to vote for. Whoever it may be. Same with Governor. Same with U.S. Representative. Now, when it comes to state senators and representatives, pick the least lame candidate out there. :wink:

<end of "Wake up before you get out the vote" message>
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:53 pm

Sorry, my vote can easily be swayed and/or bought. All of the politicians are scumbags, from both sides of the aisle. Can I be a one-issue voter? In certain instances, yes.

I've certainly gotten my jollies watching Arnold and Jesse Ventura, but I'd happily vote for a football player/tv announcer to help get rid of Rendell, too.

I was not planning on voting for Santorum, even though I am Republican. But, if he can play a meaningful role in this whole messy arena situation, I can be convinced to support him.

I am not ashamed of this in the least, either.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:57 pm

Jerez wrote:

I hope nobody really intends to vote for Santorum just because he said he backs the new arena plan. (note I am not inserting my own political beliefs here)

U.S. Senator is a very important office, and you should seriously consider all the issues before you decide who to vote for. Whoever it may be. Same with Governor. Same with U.S. Representative. Now, when it comes to state senators and representatives, pick the least lame candidate out there. :wink:

IMO your advice goes against all the democratic principles on which our country was founded. There are no net worth requirements (previously land ownership) required to vote. There is no intelligence test given. Why should a person have to weigh "all the issues?" One person, one vote based on whatever criteria that voter determines.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jerez on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:50 pm

IMO your advice goes against all the democratic principles on which our country was founded. There are no net worth requirements (previously land ownership) required to vote. There is no intelligence test given. Why should a person have to weigh "all the issues?" One person, one vote based on whatever criteria that voter determines.

Um, oh, okay. Whatever. :roll:

Seriously, I have no idea what you believe your argument is based upon.

All I was saying is weigh all the issues that are important to you. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I'm quite certain there are many things I consider important besides whether or not Isle of Capri wins the slots license, or even where the Pens get their new arena.

Who said it was an "intelligence test"? I never said to go to college, then go on to graduate school, then get a PhD, then take some Mensa test, then maybe you're qualified to vote.

Is there really something wrong with giving the same advice to everyone? Government makes the rules. Government enforces (or breaks without penalty) the rules. Government decides a lot of what happens in each of our lives. I seriously believe we should each realize this fact, consider all the issues that affect each of us, look at how the candidates we are eligible to vote for stand on these issues, weigh the pros and the cons, and then make an informed decision. THAT is democracy. If you don't understand that, I have nothing further to say.

I'm shocked. Shocked, I say. Being castigated for recommending that people think for themselves. What IS the world coming to?
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:02 am

FWIW, at the close of the UPN SportsCall, John Steigerwald asked Dejan Kovacevic if he was still confident that the Pens were going to get a new areana and he said yes. Steigerwald (who is by no means a cockeyed optimist) said he agreed.

DK also suggested the Pens stay young and not got FA crazy like last summer.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Draftnik on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:53 am

Jerez wrote:All I was saying is weigh all the issues that are important to you. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I'm quite certain there are many things I consider important besides whether or not Isle of Capri wins the slots license, or even where the Pens get their new arena.

If I understood your original point you said people shouldn't base their vote entirely on the arena issue. My point was there is nothing wrong with people basing 100% of their vote on the arena issue whether it is for Santorum, Rendell, Onorato, O'Connor, etc.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dboss on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

Jerez wrote:

Why should I not commit my vote this November based solely on the arena issue? Yes there are other important issues out there, but this is my MAIN issue at this time. As you said, U.S. Senator is a very important office and if Senator Santorum can use the power of his office to influence the other gaming applicants to include money for a new arena in their plans, then he will be receiving my vote.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:56 pm

The Futuristic Bird wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but Santorum as a US Senator has no influence over who gets the slots license. It's a state legislative issue, and while the game commission may be bipartisan, they are not in a position to be swayed one way or another. Honestly, this is a no lose situation for Santorum. He can gain good will by saying he backs a new arena while knowing that he will never have to follow through on any promises.

First, it's the "Gaming" commison. The "game commision" is in charge of hunting wildlife... you know, things like shooting birds (penguins) and the like.. wait, no, maybe it is the "Game commision" that's trying to make the Penguins extinct in Pa :-)

Seriously, Santorum exerts enormous political clout as the third most powerful man in the US Sentate. Politicians from all over the state at all levels are looking to get his ear about one issue or another.

And that "bipartisan" gamming commitee... only on paper, only on paper.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:05 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
The Futuristic Bird wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but Santorum as a US Senator has no influence over who gets the slots license. It's a state legislative issue, and while the game commission may be bipartisan, they are not in a position to be swayed one way or another. Honestly, this is a no lose situation for Santorum. He can gain good will by saying he backs a new arena while knowing that he will never have to follow through on any promises.

First, it's the "Gaming" commison. The "game commision" is in charge of hunting wildlife...

haha.... I read that and thought the same thing... :lol:
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:20 pm

If it was up to Rick Santorum to decide whether the Penguins got the new arena or not, I'd have a real problem with that.

Because if 25 years from now when my daughter is 13, she gets raped by some scumbag (God forbid of course) and ends up pregnant, I would want her to have the option to get an abortion.

What's more important, the Penguins getting a new arena, or your daughter having the option to not have the son of a rapist bastard?
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins