Welch called up?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Daniel on Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:06 pm

netwolf wrote:It's about time. He's earned a look. Even if he bombs out (and I don't think he will), I will still say it was a good idea.

If Welch is as good as they say, having a top 4 of Whitney, Johnson, Welch and Orpik might be pretty tough to play against.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:54 pm

He might not be good right off the bat (he is after all, a rookie), but as others have said, so what? The team is in the toilet, so there's no pressure to do well outside of what he expects of himself.

And just in case anyone is still owrried about how a bad couple of games might afvesely affect him, consider these two points:

1. He went to the all-star game and got lit up to the tune of a -6. In the 25 games since that night, he's scored 2 goals and 9 assists for 11 points, rated a +3 and racked up 44 PIMs. You can find this at Noah Welch's AHL.com profile. Click the "Game by Game button above his picture for breakdown of statistics.

2. In his latest blog entry, Jonathan Bombulie says this of Welch:
From a developmental perspective, the Noah Welch situation has been handled perfectly this season. Pair him with a veteran (Chris Kelleher) as he gets his feet wet. Increase his responsibilites in the AHL (more power-play time, etc.) as the season wears on. Then give him a call-up to the NHL to see how he fares. Even if he struggles in the NHL, Welch isn't the kind of kid who would be fazed by a setback.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:14 pm

netwolf wrote:He might not be good right off the bat (he is after all, a rookie), but as others have said, so what? The team is in the toilet, so there's no pressure to do well outside of what he expects of himself.

And just in case anyone is still owrried about how a bad couple of games might afvesely affect him, consider these two points:

1. He went to the all-star game and got lit up to the tune of a -6. In the 25 games since that night, he's scored 2 goals and 9 assists for 11 points, rated a +3 and racked up 44 PIMs. You can find this at Noah Welch's AHL.com profile. Click the "Game by Game button above his picture for breakdown of statistics.

2. In his latest blog entry, Jonathan Bombulie says this of Welch:
From a developmental perspective, the Noah Welch situation has been handled perfectly this season. Pair him with a veteran (Chris Kelleher) as he gets his feet wet. Increase his responsibilites in the AHL (more power-play time, etc.) as the season wears on. Then give him a call-up to the NHL to see how he fares. Even if he struggles in the NHL, Welch isn't the kind of kid who would be fazed by a setback.

So who does he skate with tonight? Melichar is our most experienced defenseman and will lug the puck up ice which would take pressure off Welch to just play a defensive game but if we want Welch to get involved in the play more I'd pair him with Scuderi who is our best guy at covering for his partners lapses.

Gonchar-Melichar
Whitney-Orpik
Welch-Scuderi

That could be our defensive lineup next season as well and I wouldn't be that unpleased with it, not thrilled, but it could be a lot worse.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:35 pm

DelPen wrote:Gonchar-Melichar
Whitney-Orpik
Welch-Scuderi

That could be our defensive lineup next season as well and I wouldn't be that unpleased with it, not thrilled, but it could be a lot worse.

That might be the Pens best defensive unit in 10 years. :lol:
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:06 pm

Sweet! Finnally I get to see how this kid can skate and see the ice,he is 23 so he better be ready to go by now. I hope he logs alot of ice tonight, throw him into the deep water just like Whitney.

Man. Remember when Whitney looked like the next Brian Leetch for his first 2 weeks? I can't wait until he figures out how to produce points like that all season long.
NIN

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:32 pm

He reminds me of Kevin Stevens so I like him already and he hasn't skated yet.
NIN

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins