scouting report on potential Pens pick Erik Johnson

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:18 pm

Reilly wrote:ou don't have to read anything. Just look at where they're playing right now. Kessel is in college. Johnson is in highschool. How would Johnson be anywhere close to Kessel in terms of readiness?

Bouwmeester went from the WHL to the NHL. The CHL is the best league for players neing prepared in the NHL. No one should comparing Bouwmeester's progress to where Johnson is.

So just because Kessel is in college and Johnson is not, Kessel is automatically more NHL-ready? I honestly don't know which is more ready (I don't think either will make the jump right now), but I know that a half-dozen months' age difference doesn't amount to much.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:23 pm

netwolf wrote:
Reilly wrote:ou don't have to read anything. Just look at where they're playing right now. Kessel is in college. Johnson is in highschool. How would Johnson be anywhere close to Kessel in terms of readiness?

Bouwmeester went from the WHL to the NHL. The CHL is the best league for players neing prepared in the NHL. No one should comparing Bouwmeester's progress to where Johnson is.

So just because Kessel is in college and Johnson is not, Kessel is automatically more NHL-ready?

How many players came right out of High School and made an impact?

How many players came right out after a year of College and made an impact?

Get back to me on those.
Reilly

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Reilly wrote:How many players came right out of High School and made an impact?

Get back to me on those.

Point taken. My stance has been that I don't think either one is ready and admittedly, that ain't based on much.

However, how many players step into the NHL in their draft year and make an impact, especially in the last 10 years? 18 year-olds do not often come into the league and make an impact.

I think people (not you) see what Crosby is doing as an 18 year-old and don't fully realize exactly how incredible his season is.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:58 pm

Reilly wrote:How many players came right out of High School and made an impact?

Get back to me on those.

Do you know the answer? If I had to make a guess, it would be that the difference isn't that much. Few come from 1 year in college to the NHL and fewer come from high school to the NHL. I think Barrasso came from high school.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby superconan on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:24 am

Reilly wrote:With Gonchar, Whitney, Welch and Orpik for at least the next 4 years, I don't see why they would take another defenseman.

What about Lannon, or Letang as well. You would think Welch will make the big club next year and Letang could follow the following year.

That means the Pens could have Gonchar, Whitney, Welch, Orpik, and Letang in the 2007-2008 season. Add to that a Erik Johnson and that sounds pretty promising.

With the depth the Pens have at centre, would it be wise to pick another centre first.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:27 pm

I know who I'd pick. It would be based on NHL value, upside and organizational developement cost. Consider the overall weakness of this draft.

We just can't afford to miss with this draft pick. We have a franchise goalie and franchise forward. Keep in mind we have another big rookie forward contract to sign this summer (considering possible transfer charges).

Remember the past draft history of the Pens. The choice is obvious, no matter what our top 3 draft position is. If he's there, the Pens take the US high school D phenom going to a top rated college program.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby superconan on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:18 pm

What would be nice is drafting Erik Johnston, and not having him join the team for a couple years(or even four).

Then when he does join you have Whitney and Welch with more experience, and guys like Orpik, Lannon etc. Makes his transition eaiser, and better for his development.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins