Reading too much into things? (Palffy related)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Reading too much into things? (Palffy related)

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:13 pm

On pregame, Stan was talking to EJ and asked him if he was surprised at how things went. EJ said yes, and listed all the players that they missed out on for the full sseason: "Mario retired, Thibault got hurt, Palffy quit."

Further confirmation that Palffy wasn't hurt or me reading too much into how things are worded? You decide.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:15 pm

If Palffy quit, so did Lemieux.
Reilly

Postby jmh70 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:16 pm

I will maintain my stance that Palffy simply did not want to play on a bad team.
jmh70

Re: Reading too much into things? (Palffy related)

Postby ville5 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:17 pm

netwolf wrote:On pregame, Stan was talking to EJ and asked him if he was surprised at how things went. EJ said yes, and listed all the players that they missed out on for the full sseason: "Mario retired, Thibault got hurt, Palffy quit."

Further confirmation that Palffy wasn't hurt or me reading too much into how things are worded? You decide.

That's the 3rd person to allude to this fact. First Demitra, then Scuds and now EJ. I don't think you're reading too much into it.
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:18 pm

Reilly wrote:If Palffy quit, so did Lemieux.

Why? Because Lemieux wasn't hurt?
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:27 pm

Yeah having a bad heart isn't a good enough reason to retire. However, he did quit when he retired the first time.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Reading too much into things? (Palffy related)

Postby Tomas on Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:39 pm

netwolf wrote:On pregame, Stan was talking to EJ and asked him if he was surprised at how things went. EJ said yes, and listed all the players that they missed out on for the full sseason: "Mario retired, Thibault got hurt, Palffy quit."

I did some searching of Slovak media, and Palffy indeed said during a radio interview recently (Radio Expres, around March 11) that he is contemplating resuming his career. He will decide during the summer based on how the shoulder feels. However "I will definitely not return to the NHL, because according to a certain clause I am forbidden to play there for three years after announcing the retirement. It's only a year in Europe, I just have to find out whether [the clause] is in effect for this year only, or even for the next season. However, I will not be playing in Slovakia again."

He also said that his wife Andrea had no impact on his decision to retire {nevertheless, she did resume her news anchor career with one of the Slovak TV networks this week}. Palffy has also completely moved to Slovakia, and sold all of his cars and the apartment in the US. Palffy concluded "Me and Andrea plan to have a big family. We are already working on it. We don't plan another wedding in Slovakia, the one in Pittsburgh was enough."

The article was published in the leading Slovak daily "Sme":
http://www.sme.sk/clanok.asp?cl=2628595
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby superconan on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:16 am

Mario did go under the knife, has Palffy done anything to help his shoulder?
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:33 am

The more time passes, the more I think he did indeed quit. Yeah, I'm sure his shoulder wasn't perfectly healthy. But he just didn't want to be here, so he up and left. It hurt this season, but it will help not to have that salary albatross the next 2 years. If he does want to come back, they can trade his rights, unless what Palffy says about the CBA is true.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:54 am

Mad City Mike wrote:The more time passes, the more I think he did indeed quit. Yeah, I'm sure his shoulder wasn't perfectly healthy. But he just didn't want to be here, so he up and left. It hurt this season, but it will help not to have that salary albatross the next 2 years. If he does want to come back, they can trade his rights, unless what Palffy says about the CBA is true.

Palffy has always been one of those guys who has shown that he could be a "go to" guy (when he was a King) and a guy of questionable heart (when he was a Isle). He has a different sensibility about him, and I don't know how much of it is cultural and how much is personal.

If your background is not American, I think that your general view of a game's importance in life can be drastically different. When war, famine, rampant poverty or any other wide-spread social challenge is testing you or your family as a youngster, I think it just changes your view of things.

I'm sometimes puzzled by things I read about some of the European born guys., but I try to remind myself that I am looking at the situation like an American. These guys are looking at it from a completely different perspective. They are rock stars in their homeland, and I wouldn't want to evaluate some of the moves that a lead singer makes in terms of being a part of the band.

A life decision like Palffy made, would definately appear to be "quitting" on the surface. From his eyes, I'm sure it was the right thing to do.

The Pens will go on, and if he decides to play in Europe next season, more power to him. He isn't worth giving it another thought.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:17 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:The more time passes, the more I think he did indeed quit. Yeah, I'm sure his shoulder wasn't perfectly healthy. But he just didn't want to be here, so he up and left. It hurt this season, but it will help not to have that salary albatross the next 2 years. If he does want to come back, they can trade his rights, unless what Palffy says about the CBA is true.

From that article, it doesn't sound like he's interested in coming back to the NHL. He seems perfectly happy to live the rest of his life outside North America.

Not that it matters, I honestly don't think he has *any* trade value left at all.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Defence21 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:12 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

Palffy has always been one of those guys who has shown that he could be a "go to" guy (when he was a King) and a guy of questionable heart (when he was a Isle). He has a different sensibility about him, and I don't know how much of it is cultural and how much is personal.

If your background is not American, I think that your general view of a game's importance in life can be drastically different. When war, famine, rampant poverty or any other wide-spread social challenge is testing you or your family as a youngster, I think it just changes your view of things.

I'm sometimes puzzled by things I read about some of the European born guys., but I try to remind myself that I am looking at the situation like an American. These guys are looking at it from a completely different perspective. They are rock stars in their homeland, and I wouldn't want to evaluate some of the moves that a lead singer makes in terms of being a part of the band.

A life decision like Palffy made, would definately appear to be "quitting" on the surface. From his eyes, I'm sure it was the right thing to do.

The Pens will go on, and if he decides to play in Europe next season, more power to him. He isn't worth giving it another thought.

Excellent post. Too often fans try to make sports personal. They feel these players somehow owe them something, and a frequently used phrase is "I pay their salaries, so they should sign autographs, play their best, do everything I think they should do, etc." While we do pay their salaries, they are performing for us. We are getting entertainment for our money.

These players are human beings just like we are. They have personal problems, families, etc. I'm sure many posters here on LGP have left a company and went to another for reasons many may not have liked. So why can't a guy like Palffy?

Did he have a shoulder injury? Probably, but likely not as severe as he alluded to. Who cares? It's not like keeping him would have put the Pens in the playoffs. It's not like the Pens are paying him to sit at home in Europe. For all we know, he could have major family problems that he didn't want to get into the public. Honestly, it's none of our business.

So, if he quit, retired, partially retired, or became an alien, I wish him luck in the future.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:33 pm

Defence21 wrote:Who cares? It's not like keeping him would have put the Pens in the playoffs. It's not like the Pens are paying him to sit at home in Europe. For all we know, he could have major family problems that he didn't want to get into the public. Honestly, it's none of our business.

So you're saying that Ziggy throwing in his hand wasn't detrimental to the Pens? I think it was. I think the attitude that caused him to do that was part of the problem here - particularly in the earlier part of the year.

Would the Pens have made the 'Cup finals with a healthy focused Palffy? No, but it think we'd be further along than were are.

For that, I don't think much of Palffy, T-Bo, or for that matter anyone else who quits on the team. (Marios health problems aside - and yes - I do know there's some question as to whether T-Bo quit or was really injured.)

I *do* believe it's my right as a fan to have those opinions.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Tomas on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:28 pm

The Snapshot wrote:When war, famine, rampant poverty or any other wide-spread social challenge is testing you or your family as a youngster, I think it just changes your view of things.

Dude, don't turn Slovakia into Afghanistan or Kosovo! :D (Slovakia is actually a country with a very decent standard of living and an economic growth that almost pu them among emerging market tigers. To the excitement of all the flat tax proponents - because that's what they institued.)

I think the explanation of Palffy's recent change of mind may be much simpler - he is just second guessing himself that he might have retired too early. Which puts him in line with athletes like Mario Lemieux, Michael Jordan, Dominik Hasek, Martina Hingis or Bjorn Borg (all from not so impovershed countries :) ).

After your post, I went to search through Slovak media, and here is what I found:

- I think that his initial decision to retire was completely correct and responsible. Contrary what one of the above posters insinuated, Palffy went under the knife to correct the shoulder problems. Twice, in LA. And his doctor apparently strongly not recommended the third surgery. In one of the early interviews after the retirement he claims that the shoulder pain limits his even during his everyday activities, let alone hockey. He also claimed that he had discussed his retirement with Mario Lemieux who told him that "the health should be the first place concern", and understood his decision.

- Then, a few weeks later, he said that the shoulder does not limit him much during everyday actuivities, but it would still hurt if he were playing hockey, so he does not plan to play, because "I did not finish my career in the NHL just to restart it in Europe."

- and then, a few weeks ago, he changed his mid and may go back to playing next season.

I really don't think that he has had a sinister motive to screw the Pens. Instead, I think that the development and his recent quotes show a definite trend: the shoulder may be getting better by not playing. Plus, retiring at the age of 33 (?) must suck big time. Plus he may be getting bored. Plus he may not like sliding from "Mr. Palffy, the Slovak heartrob" to "Mr. Palffy, the husband of popular TV anchor Mrs. Belanyi" (his ex-girlfriends included the main TV fitness personality - sort of "Slovak LeAnn Tweeden", or the tennis star Henrietta Nagyova; meanwhile, his wife may be the more popular - and still working - part of the couple now). Plus...

So, if he decides to put the skates on again - I have absolutely no problems with it - and more power to him.
Tomas
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:51 pm

:roll:
topshelf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:00 pm

I think your reading too much into it. Palffy retired under his own free will. He could have gotten surgery and rehabed and tried to come back but instead he gave up on hockey. Thats a quitter in EJs book and mine too. Hell, the money alone would have been enough to let them hack up my shoulder some more! I would HIRE someone to hold my kid for me and clean his/her butt.....and MY butt too. IN FACT. If I had as much money as Palffy would have got if he stayed. I would have a full time ass-wiper in my employment.
NIN

Postby Defence21 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:07 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:So you're saying that Ziggy throwing in his hand wasn't detrimental to the Pens? I think it was. I think the attitude that caused him to do that was part of the problem here - particularly in the earlier part of the year.

The team was at or near the bottom of the league when Ziggy retired. He had 42 points in 42 games. He wasn't scoring, so he picked up his playmaking. Palffy has been known to have attitude problems throughout his career. Why should his attitude have changed because he came to the Pens? The best way to not have this problem happen is to not sign a player with a history of being somewhat selfish/greedy.

ExPatriatePen wrote:Would the Pens have made the 'Cup finals with a healthy focused Palffy? No, but it think we'd be further along than were are.

Again, when Palffy retired, the team was at or near the bottom of the league. Sure, he gave the team a top-line winger, but what good does that do when you're in the cellar? Not much. Plus, he has freed up space to keep Fleury in the NHL. You seem to forget that it was almost a foregone conclusion that Fleury was on his was back to the AHL within a few days had Palffy not retired. So the team would have been worse off, as Caron would have been the starting goalie.

ExPatriatePen wrote:For that, I don't think much of Palffy, T-Bo, or for that matter anyone else who quits on the team. (Marios health problems aside - and yes - I do know there's some question as to whether T-Bo quit or was really injured.)

What are you talking about? Thibault was placed on IR by the team so that he could have his hip repaired. When was there ever any question of that? If he quit, as you say, why is the team still paying him? Come to think of it, I bet Murley quit. Welch quit last night. With your logic, anyone who gets hurt is potentially quitting. And, say Thibault did quit. Isn't that a good thing? EVERYONE complained when he was in net anyway, so why is it so bad that he isn't playing now?

ExPatriatePen wrote:I *do* believe it's my right as a fan to have those opinions.

Yes, you can have your opinion. That's your right. But please keep in mind the different levels -- not just the surface. If Palffy stays, Fleury goes. The team is better off with a starting goalie, than a winger. Also keep in mind that Palffy has a history of attitude problems -- particularly in NYI. Management should have known this. Thibault sucked, then got hurt. Everyone wanted him gone. He's gone, but now he's a quitter? It seems as though there is no right answer here -- everything is wrong. Oh well, I guess I just choose not to let NHL players enter my personal world.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Reilly on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:41 am

Kicksave wrote:Reilly gets idiot post #1

I fail to see how Palffy retiring due to injury is different than Lemieux retiring due to injury.
Reilly

Postby HomerPenguin on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:28 am

Reilly wrote:
Kicksave wrote:Reilly gets idiot post #1

I fail to see how Palffy retiring due to injury is different than Lemieux retiring due to injury.

Uh, because if Palffy's debilitating shoulder injury is so debilitating that he's already planning to play professional hockey again next year, then he was never really injured to begin with.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DayWalker on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:02 am

ziggystardust wrote:

they both hurt the team, so I have no problem with either quitting.

A guy averaging a point a game was hurting the team?

Lemieux was too?

Wow.
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:51 am

What some of us seem to be missing, is that a guy can contribute on the ice and still be detrimental to a team.

Now I'm not saying this is definitely the case with Ziggy.

Personally, I tend to believe it was, but I wasn't in the locker room.

Look. No one would argue that T.O. was productive on the field for the Eagles at the begining of last year. I also don't think that too many would argue that he was detrimental to the Eagles franchise overall due to his attitude in the locker room, regardless of his on field production. Now T.O. is an extreme case, and he made it worse by going very very public in the media. But the concept is the same.

Now I'm not saying Palffy was talking trash. Only that, IMHO, he had lost his competitive desire. If anyone remembers back to November, there were reports of a schism in the locker room between the young guys and the vets. My understanding is that the issue was that Sid and some of the young guys thought the Vets were not giving 110%.

This is what I'm saying with regard to Ziggy.

As an aside to Defence21, your comment about letting NHL players enter "your personal world", you, and every other poster on here, has let it enter your 'personal world' by the by being a fan, more so by joining LGP and expressing your opinion.

So I'll make you a deal defence21, you don't be dismissive of others opinions and I won't be dismissive of yours OK?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:14 am

DayWalker wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:

they both hurt the team, so I have no problem with either quitting.

A guy averaging a point a game was hurting the team?

Lemieux was too?

Wow.

We've been over this. Ziggy pretty much thought Lemieux was hurting the team when he was in his prime scoring 150 points a year. Different strokes and all that.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins