The unofficial sink the Isles thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby wondermoose on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:23 pm

I LOVED Welch. Hopefully he's a regular from now on. Screw Cairns or Melichar, he's a real bruiser and smart player.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:25 pm

jmh70 wrote:So is Welch ok? Very good debut for him.

Well I have been posting updates for that poster from NJ who got blacked out. TO summarize, he has the heart but he will be in the box more than I think I would like to see him there. He has the smarts to be very reliable. I dont know if he is enthusiastic about blcoking shots but I have a feeling that when he is fired up and into a game he will be a beast back there.

He is a Melichar/Orpik hybred.
NIN

Postby Jesse on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:28 pm

I'm loving the play of "broadway" Joe Melichar right now.

Quiet and Consistant.

Now if certain players with the number 55 could follow suit.

Ahem.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:30 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
He's not a sniper but he doesn't need to be. That line will score - heck just think back to what they did those two or three games when they were clicking with Rita!

The thing I've noticed is that Colby isn't petering out like Christensen or Ouellet.

Both guys were great at first, but where has Ouellet been? Also, wasn't Therrien upset that Christensen became "complacent" with his role?

Army is taking full advantage of this opportunity. I have to give him credit, I had great doubts about his style and durability, but he's proven me wrong.

He really is the total package when it comes to a hockey player.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jmh70 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:32 pm

Actually I meant to ask if Welch is ok health-wise.
jmh70

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:35 pm

jmh70 wrote:Actually I meant to ask if Welch is ok health-wise.

No one seemed to know on the radio post-game. If they have an update before Grove's call-in show is done, I'll pass it on...

Great game by him tonight. He didn't look out of place at all.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:02 am

netwolf wrote:If they have an update before Grove's call-in show is done, I'll pass it on...

I take it nothing was passed along.

Loved all the face-washing Crosby was getting from Malone and LeClair after the game-winner. That was sweet!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:05 am

Admin wrote:
netwolf wrote:If they have an update before Grove's call-in show is done, I'll pass it on...

I take it nothing was passed along.

Loved all the face-washing Crosby was getting from Malone and LeClair after the game-winner. That was sweet!

Nope, nothing. That show has never been super-great, but tonight was especially bad. Nothing like techinical difficulties mixed in with idiots unaware of the delay calling in to make asses of themselves.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jerez on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:21 am

Admin wrote:Loved all the face-washing Crosby was getting from Malone and LeClair after the game-winner. That was sweet!

I loved how his face got all red -- I don't think it was just from the face wash, because they couldn't get all of him with the helmet and shield on. I think he was genuinely embarrassed/excited/proud of all the attention.

I have to admit, I was sitting there saying "Don't you dare pass that puck........." For once, he listened! :wink:
Jerez
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:25 am

Jerez wrote:I loved how his face got all red -- I don't think it was just from the face wash, because they couldn't get all of him with the helmet and shield on. I think he was genuinely embarrassed/excited/proud of all the attention.

My favorite moment of this entire season. :oops:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby topshelf on Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:26 am

I didn't get to see the game tonight, unfortunately, 'cause it looks like a missed a good one. I just saw the replay of the Malone goal and all I can say is WOW! :shock:

How did Welch look?
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jamie on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:59 am

topshelf wrote:I didn't get to see the game tonight, unfortunately, 'cause it looks like a missed a good one. I just saw the replay of the Malone goal and all I can say is WOW! :shock:

How did Welch look?

I though Welch looked good in his debut. Threw his body around quite a bit. Got a good shot on goal. The shot was about two feet off of the ice and hard. Dipietro left a big rebound on it, and Gonchar buried it, into a wide open net.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:16 am

Hey NIN,

thanks for the updates throughout the game.

Nice to hear that Welch brings a rugged side to the blueline. Only problem is whether or not to order an Orpik jersey with that 40% discount. I've had a bad feeling CP would be cutting him loose this coming offseason. Welch being a nasty customer might just seal Orpik's fate for good.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:58 am

topshelf wrote:I didn't get to see the game tonight, unfortunately, 'cause it looks like a missed a good one. I just saw the replay of the Malone goal and all I can say is WOW! :shock:

How did Welch look?

Welch was tremendous. The big thing with him (and this was true in camp as well) is that his head is always on a swivel, looking around to see what's going on. He rarely (if ever) gets locked in on one person or area of the rink. He obviously brought a physical presence; it's nice to have more than 1 guy that can do that. He's not an offensive guy, but passes well and gets hits shots on net.

A very good debut and worth of the #3 star he got. Today's PG said he sustained a minor back injury when absorbing a hit, but that it was not serious at all. I would expect him back tomorrow night unless it tightens up on him or something.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:02 pm

Some of Molinari's best writing this year:

Game summary/notes:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06084/676516.stm
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Mango Salsa on Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:53 pm

netwolf wrote:

How did Welch look?

Welch was tremendous. The big thing with him (and this was true in camp as well) is that his head is always on a swivel, looking around to see what's going on. He rarely (if ever) gets locked in on one person or area of the rink. He obviously brought a physical presence; it's nice to have more than 1 guy that can do that. He's not an offensive guy, but passes well and gets hits shots on net.

A very good debut and worth of the #3 star he got. Today's PG said he sustained a minor back injury when absorbing a hit, but that it was not serious at all. I would expect him back tomorrow night unless it tightens up on him or something.

I agree. Welch was the best defenseman on the ice last nigt. Maybe he can tutor Gonch. He has a nice shot and is not afraid to use it. Hopefuly he can keep it up and not cool off after a couple weeks.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jamie on Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:05 pm

Hey since the Pens won last night, do I get to continue the unofficial thread on Sunday 8)
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

he , he!

Postby penny lane on Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:58 pm

yeltzen wrote:
NIN wrote:Man your incredible. DOnt you think it would help if his linemates got open while he is creating all that time and space for them? Let me guess, your Hilberts life partner.

Maybe he could... oh, I dunno, shoot it? I'm just wondering how long the coaching staff is going to let him pass up shot after shot.

:oops: you get to eat your words , don't ya? :P

happens to all of us.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: he , he!

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:23 pm

penny lane wrote:
yeltzen wrote:
NIN wrote:Man your incredible. DOnt you think it would help if his linemates got open while he is creating all that time and space for them? Let me guess, your Hilberts life partner.

Maybe he could... oh, I dunno, shoot it? I'm just wondering how long the coaching staff is going to let him pass up shot after shot.

happens to all of us.

I was going to point this out myslef except one thing... He was right.

If this is what happens when Sid shoots, maybe Sid should shoot everytime. :-) :-) ;-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby jmh70 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:34 pm

I like seeing the goal-cam view of Crosby's winner. It shows how Crosby got DiPietro to bite on the pass which freed up space on the short side. Impressive.
jmh70

Re: he , he!

Postby Daniel on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:40 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
penny lane wrote:
yeltzen wrote:

happens to all of us.

I was going to point this out myslef except one thing... He was right.

If this is what happens when Sid shoots, maybe Sid should shoot everytime. :-) :-) ;-)

I wonder if Sid is shooting less because the season is lost and he is trying to feed his linemates.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins