NY NEWSDAY Reaction to Islander game (Crosby related)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

NY NEWSDAY Reaction to Islander game (Crosby related)

Postby NYPensFan on Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:09 pm

I don't know if it is on the web but the Newsday today had a lead article saying that Crosby is becoming as much of a problem to the Islanders as Lemieux has been over the years. They predict even more problems from him in the future. Sorry there is no link as I was reading the actual paper.
NYPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Admin on Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:14 pm

Admin
Site Admin

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:27 pm

Yeah, that's Allan Hahn. He's got to be an even worse NHL beat reporter than what's in Pittsburgh in you can believe that. Three hockey teams up here and Newsday can't find someone who understands the game AND writes in a style that's actually understandable.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: NY NEWSDAY Reaction to Islander game (Crosby related)

Postby penny lane on Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:55 pm

NYPensFan wrote:I don't know if it is on the web but the Newsday today had a lead article saying that Crosby is becoming as much of a problem to the Islanders as Lemieux has been over the years. They predict even more problems from him in the future. Sorry there is no link as I was reading the actual paper.

Last night Rick Dipietro was playing almost everywhere but in
the net. :P REally he almost gave Sid the win in the 3rd period
while skating to the side board.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:18 pm

The Islanders led 3-1 on Sean Bergenheim's goal at 1:16 of the second, but a mental error by Yashin turned around the game. As goalie Marc-Andre Fleury went to retrieve his dropped stick, Yashin shoved it away with his own stick and was whistled for goaltender interference. It's an obscure rule but one a veteran of 11 NHL seasons should know.

"The stick was down. I thought it was a broken stick," Yashin said. "I didn't realize it would be a penalty."

Does anyone believe for a second he really thought it was a broken stick?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:28 pm

netwolf wrote:
The Islanders led 3-1 on Sean Bergenheim's goal at 1:16 of the second, but a mental error by Yashin turned around the game. As goalie Marc-Andre Fleury went to retrieve his dropped stick, Yashin shoved it away with his own stick and was whistled for goaltender interference. It's an obscure rule but one a veteran of 11 NHL seasons should know.

"The stick was down. I thought it was a broken stick," Yashin said. "I didn't realize it would be a penalty."

It's moot anyways. The goalie CAN play with a broken stick, he's the only one who can. It's interference any way you look at it.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:38 pm

netwolf wrote:

I don't believe anything that piece of dung Yashin says. He lost any integrity he had when he quit on the Senators.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:04 pm

DelPen wrote:It's moot anyways. The goalie CAN play with a broken stick, he's the only one who can. It's interference any way you look at it.

Thirty years of following hockey and I never knew this.

Are you sure DelPen? I can't find a current NHL rule book.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Draftnik on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:11 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
DelPen wrote:It's moot anyways. The goalie CAN play with a broken stick, he's the only one who can. It's interference any way you look at it.

Thirty years of following hockey and I never knew this.

Are you sure DelPen? I can't find a current NHL rule book.

I've seen goalies playing with broken sticks before without getting penalized, so I agree with Delpen that it is legal.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:13 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:I can't find a current NHL rule book.

http://www2.nhl.com/rules/rule45.html

"A goalkeeper may continue to play with a broken stick until a stoppage of play or until he has one legally handed to him by a teammate."
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:21 pm

Admin wrote:

"A goalkeeper may continue to play with a broken stick until a stoppage of play or until he has one legally handed to him by a teammate."

Thanks Admin. Awesome. I guess I have seen this in game situations, but for some reason it never hit home.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby superconan on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:51 pm

Admin wrote:

I have always wanted to see a goalie play with a forwards stick (with a nice big curve).
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins