Welch and Lannon

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Welch and Lannon

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:00 pm

Anyone out there that has had the opportunity to watch WBS, what is the scoop with Ryan Lannon? Does he have the nasty edge that Welch seems to have?

It seems to me (at least from what I've read) that Lannon has been overshadowed by Welch through college and now in WBS. Not saying in a bad way, just never seem to hear much about him.

Right now as a rookie, he's tied for second on the team in +/- (+3 more than Welch at the moment). He's got size and appears to be everything we're looking for. I know he doesn't have the offensive upside that Welch has, but is there any reason to think Lannon won't have a legit shot at making the team next year?
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby superconan on Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:49 pm

From everything I have read, Lannon seems to be the ultimate team player/guy.

If Lannon and Welch are added who is taken out?

Is Cairns the odd man out? Though a lot of people might prefer him to stay in the line up.

Then add Letang (and Johnston if drafted) in a year or two. Could have a nice mix of offensive, size, speed, toughness, and puck movement on the blueline.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bse on Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:38 pm

I think Lannon is a bit slow for the NHL
bse
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:44 pm

bse wrote:I think Lannon is a bit slow for the NHL

Just a bit? (It's an honest question)

Then why not have a trainer work with him specificly on drills to improve speed and skating.

It's inane to think that just because these guys are at the AHL level their basic skills can't still be improved.

I would hope the Pens would finally recognize that paricularly in the CBA era, developing talent is going to be the key to their success.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby wondermoose on Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:03 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

Then why not have a trainer work with him specificly on drills to improve speed and skating.

It's inane to think that just because these guys are at the AHL level their basic skills can't still be improved.

I would hope the Pens would finally recognize that paricularly in the CBA era, developing talent is going to be the key to their success.

That's probably why they're still in the AHL. They're getting conditioned for the NHL, instead of just throwing them into the mix. Same reason MAF spent time in the minors, and probably still would and should be if we had anything resembling a consistent goaltender.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby superconan on Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:11 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

I am sure his skating can be worked on. If he has good hockey sense, can play well postionally, and knows to play with-in his limitations he should have a decent chance.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Welch and Lannon

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:54 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Anyone out there that has had the opportunity to watch WBS, what is the scoop with Ryan Lannon? Does he have the nasty edge that Welch seems to have?

It seems to me (at least from what I've read) that Lannon has been overshadowed by Welch through college and now in WBS. Not saying in a bad way, just never seem to hear much about him.

Right now as a rookie, he's tied for second on the team in +/- (+3 more than Welch at the moment). He's got size and appears to be everything we're looking for. I know he doesn't have the offensive upside that Welch has, but is there any reason to think Lannon won't have a legit shot at making the team next year?

I knew it! You are a scout for the New Jersey Devils arent you! Im watching you man.... :shock: .....I am in your head man.......
NIN

Postby NIN on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:57 pm

ziggystardust wrote:

defense is all about angles. As long as he plays them right, lack of speed shouldn't be a concern.

Unless he is as slow as Poapst. When you have to pass back to your own goalie from your own blue line and you have a 10 foot lead on someone, your Poapst slow.
NIN

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:18 pm

Scout? that's too much.

I'm not associated with the Devils in any way, just a life long Pens fan living in Jersey.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:22 pm

I think if Lannon is sound positionally and he brings ANYTHING to table in terms of physical presence, he could easily replace Melichar or Scuderi, who incidentally are one in the same. Just one has a bum shoulder.

Lannon can't be THAT slow (Poapst slow as pointed out). He seems to be having a successful rookie year in WBS.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:29 pm

ziggystardust wrote:

defense is all about angles. As long as he plays them right, lack of speed shouldn't be a concern.

You'll still need atleast one or two that can "rush the puck".
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby superconan on Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:21 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:

You'll still need atleast one or two that can "rush the puck".

And the Pens have Gonchar, Whitney and perhaps Welch, with Letang coming up as well.

Good to have some stay at home guys to pair up with the offensive defenseman.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:37 pm

superconan wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:You'll still need atleast one or two that can "rush the puck".

And the Pens have Gonchar, Whitney and perhaps Welch, with Letang coming up as well.

Good to have some stay at home guys to pair up with the offensive defenseman.

Welch isn't really an offensive defenseman. He's a well-rounded two-way guy. I don't think you'll see him rush the puck a whole lot like Gonchar, Whitney or Letang/Goligoski when they arrive.

Your point about having a balanced group is still a good one though.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins