Puck handling goalies. . .

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Puck handling goalies. . .

Postby dagny on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:10 pm

With the new rules amping up the speed of the play on the ice, the benefit of a good puck handling goalie has soared. Having the goalie act as a third defensman to get rushes started is a tremendous advantage.

Observing this has had me thinking... Jersey would never give up Brodeur, soooooo who are the best puck handlers in the NHL today?

What about up and coming goal tenders? Anyone have any insight on the ones that are good at handling the puck?

This talk of puck handling goalies has also made me wonder something else. What would the reaction be if Tom Barasso wanted to play again?
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:16 pm

DiPietro is probaby the closest... believe it or not puck-handling is a big part of John Grahme's game as well.

Turco's no spring chicken, but he handles the Puck well.

Personally I think they should look to enlarge the trapazoid. If a goalie ventures outside of that space, he should be fair game.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby scals37 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:17 pm

from what i've seen this year.. with the new rules, the best stickhandling goalie is rick dipietro.. he makes goal line to opposite blue line passes better than some defensemen
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dagny on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:28 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Personally I think they should look to enlarge the trapazoid. If a goalie ventures outside of that space, he should be fair game.

Agreed, on both points. However, "fair game" to me is just contact, not full on checks. Y'know, shake the goalie up, get him off his game, strip him of the puck, etc. I think if they started being able to body check goalies, it would be a nightmare.

Btw, what's with NO CONTACT in the women's Olympic hockey??? That's what makes watching the girls so boring. They're slow and there's no contact... UGH! :lol:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:23 pm

Yesterday I watched the DVD of the 10-4 game against Philly. I had forgotten just how nice it is to watch a goalie that can skate and handle the puck. At one point the Flyers were in our end and there was a centering pass from the boards near the corner... the pass was about 15 feet in front of the net. Barrasso read it, skated out between players and poked the puck, mid pass, out of the zone. It was a beautiful thing!

DiPietro is the best I have seen on a regualr basis. He can hit moving guys at the red line without them missing a step.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:26 pm

Jim wrote:Yesterday I watched the DVD of the 10-4 game against Philly. I had forgotten just how nice it is to watch a goalie that can skate and handle the puck. At one point the Flyers were in our end and there was a centering pass from the boards near the corner... the pass was about 15 feet in front of the net. Barrasso read it, skated out between players and poked the puck, mid pass, out of the zone. It was a beautiful thing!

DiPietro is the best I have seen on a regualr basis. He can hit moving guys at the red line without them missing a step.

Yes, I agree, those plays were beautiful, but by the same token, foalies shouldn't be exempt from contact at that point.

You need to protect the goalie when he's in his crease, but when he ventures out into the rest of the ice to be the third D-Man, he should be far game like any other D-man.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:29 pm

Trust me... I feel that if a goalie leaves his crease he should be considered open game just like any other player. Roy used to run picks on players behing the net all the time. If I had ever coached against Roy I would have told my players that if he picked them... run right through him!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:34 pm

"What would the reaction be if Tom Barasso wanted to play again?"

CP would give him a 5 year contract for 9 million a season, several people with mullets would be sporting new Barasso jerseys, he would be out with a groin pull every 5 games, and we would miss the playoffs again.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins