What I'd like to see for next year's lineup

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What I'd like to see for next year's lineup

Postby cs6687 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:41 pm

Center - Crosby, Malkin, FA, Talbot and/or Hilbert.
LW - FA, Surovy, Armstrong, Roy
RW - Malone, FA, Ouellet, Koltsov
D - Gonchar, Whitney, Orpik, Welch, Melichar, Scuderi, Cairns, hopefully Erik Johnson. If he's not ready, a solid FA.
G- Fleury, and either Thibault or Caron.

Hopefully Leclair is traded. It's obvious he doesn't want to be here. The future of the penalty killing looks good, but a center who can win faceoffs is desperately needed. The biggest need is two quick scoring wingers. Not superstars, but solid players. From what I've read of Erik Johnson, he sounds like the next coming of Chris Pronger.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby superconan on Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:57 pm

I do like having Malone on the wing, since we do have a lot of young centers coming up, and with the edition of Malkin.

I would add Rita in at RW, and wonder if they will try and re-sign Boguniecki.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: What I'd like to see for next year's lineup

Postby NIN on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:02 pm

cs6687 wrote:Center - Crosby, Malkin, FA, Talbot and/or Hilbert.
LW - FA, Surovy, Armstrong, Roy
RW - Malone, FA, Ouellet, Koltsov
D - Gonchar, Whitney, Orpik, Welch, Melichar, Scuderi, Cairns, hopefully Erik Johnson. If he's not ready, a solid FA.
G- Fleury, and either Thibault or Caron.

Hopefully Leclair is traded. It's obvious he doesn't want to be here. The future of the penalty killing looks good, but a center who can win faceoffs is desperately needed. The biggest need is two quick scoring wingers. Not superstars, but solid players. From what I've read of Erik Johnson, he sounds like the next coming of Chris Pronger.

Interesting stuff but I am going to wait and see how the rest of the season plays out and how the new guys in the AHL play. Im positive Malkin will be here and the Pens should have the resources to sign Joe Corvo and Afiniganev, if of course they are willing to come over.

I would love to see Gonchar traded this summer but being realistic that wont happen. Gonchar, Whiteny, Corvo, and Orpik could be a decent top 4. Welch, Scuderi, Melichar, and Johnson/Lannon hopefully will round out the rest.

Goaltending is easy. Fleury, Caron, Chioda and dump Thibault for anything at all. Again, not realistic. He is another Patrick mistake we are forced to live with unless they but him out.

The offense will have a very entertaining 1-2 punch with Crosby and Malkin and at times they will be paired on the same line when the team is trying desperately to tie a game or if one of the two lines goes stale. Armstrong, Koltsov, Talbot, Roy, and Malone are all welcome back but everybody else needs to earn a spot. Adding Sushevky and Afinigenov would make for a very interesting line 2 and have Malone and Armstrong go for line 1. There are plenty of line 3 and 4 candidates. Finding the next Kevin Stevens is the most important thing this franchise can do right now. Malone could fill that role in the meantime.
NIN

Postby guiner on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:11 pm

Some random thoughts regarding your suggestion.

I think Christiensen will be a good 3rd line center.
Hilbert said last night he prefers wing, I think he looks better there too.
I don't think you have a chance of trading Leclair until next years deadline. If he gets paired up with Malkin and scores a ton, it might be enough to entice a team with need.
No way Erik Johnson is with the big club next year.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the team has really improved on faceoffs, I think Crosby is really starting to get good at them. Plus you will have Malkin who I believe is real good there also. So I think that problem will be solved.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:15 pm

I forgot a few things. Obviously not bringing back Craig Patrick is the best thing that can happen. I do agree with something Madden said a few weeks back. The Pens need another assistant coach. The staff is good right now, but it needs a defensive coach.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

My team-wishes

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:20 pm

LW ; Malone, Hilbert, Morozov, Surovy, Lefebvre
C ; Crosby, Malkin, Christensen, Talbot, Taticek
RW ; Armstrong, Ouellet, Afinogenov, Kolanos, Roy
D ; Whitney, Welch, Johnson, Gonchar, Orpik, Scuderi,Nasreddine
and UFA
G ; Fleury, Sabourin

Lines ;
Malone - Crosby - Armstrong
Morozov - Malkin- Afinogenov
Hilbert - Christensen - Ouellet
Surovy - Talbot - Kolanos
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: My team-wishes

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:34 pm

Pens4Life wrote:LW ; Malone, Hilbert, Morozov, Surovy, Lefebvre
and UFA
G ; Fleury, Sabourin

Lines ;

Surovy will not be a 4th liner. It's a waste and if he's not a top 9 forward he needs to be traded.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Yeah,Surovy

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:07 pm

Yeah,Surovy and Kolanos arent 4th liners.... But maybe for special duties... Kolanos should fight for top 3line spot,i think he will make it.
He is playing some good hockey with WBS (8gp-5+3=8pts)...
Maybe he and Ouellet and Hilbert can exchange on 3rd line, if wont play good they can be sent down to AHL (all in case we get 2 good UFA forwards)... Otherwise,they all can play :
Hilbert - Malkin - Kolanos
Surovy - Christensen - Ouellet
Koltsov - Talbot - Roy
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

i forgot Rita

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:11 pm

i forgot Rita for 3rd line candidate or maybe even 4th line (PK???)
If he proves himself until season is over. I JUST HOPE THAT
ENDICOTT,Thibault,LeClair,Odelein,VandeBussche wont be here next year..
AND SPECIALLY CP!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Yeah,Surovy

Postby Jamie on Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:15 pm

Pens4Life wrote:Yeah,Surovy and Kolanos arent 4th liners.... But maybe for special duties... Kolanos should fight for top 3line spot,i think he will make it.
He is playing some good hockey with WBS (8gp-5+3=8pts)...
Maybe he and Ouellet and Hilbert can exchange on 3rd line, if wont play good they can be sent down to AHL (all in case we get 2 good UFA forwards)... Otherwise,they all can play :
Hilbert - Malkin - Kolanos
Surovy - Christensen - Ouellet
Koltsov - Talbot - Roy

Kolanos is kind of a dark horse. He showed he could produce at the NHL level in his limited time, but then he suffered a concussion that has affected his play. His situation will be interesting at the very least come time for training camp.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:17 pm

Anyone else here getting the sneaking suspicion that pens4life might actually *be* CP? :-)

I mean he keeps floating these wild trade ideas and is generally positive about the skills and value of existing players... and now he's lobbying for CP to come back next year. :-) :-) ;-)

j/k P4L
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Cornfed on Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:58 pm

and UFA
G ; Fleury, Sabourin

Lines ;

What's the deal with Morozov anyway? Is he back next year?
Cornfed

Postby NJ5934 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:20 pm

I would like to see Christensen in one of the top two lines either as a center or moved over to wing.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:30 pm

Morozov will NEVER play for the Penguins EVER AGAIN.

Including him in any sort of future depth chart would be idiotic.

Next year, I'd like to see...

(FA/Kessel) / Crosby / Armstrong
Hilbert / Malkin / Christiensen
Malone / Kolanos / Ouellet
Koltsov / Talbot / Roy / Rita / Bogy / Norgren

Orpik / Gonchar
Whitney / Welch
(FA) / Scuderi / Cairns / Melichar / Lannon

Fleury / Caron

1) I really like Andy Hilbert. I think he can be a top-two liner on this team.
2) Survoy will be nothing more than a streaky, one dimensional player; trade bait.
3) Kolanos is intriguing and hes tearing up WBS right now.
4) I like Malone as a 3rd line winger who can knock home 20 goals a year and fill in on the top two lines, play pk, and pp. He can be a very important part of this team.
5) At some point, you're going to need to add Daniel Carcillo to this team.
6) Christiensen needs to play wing. He is a top two talent, as shown this year, but won't get time if he plays center. He has a nasty first move and wrist shot, best utilized on the wing.
7) And NIN, you know that Corvo or Afiniganov won't be Penguins. You have put the jinx on that, just like you put the jinx on Marco Strum.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:34 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
and UFA
G ; Fleury, Sabourin

Lines ;

What's the deal with Morozov anyway? Is he back next year?

Probably not. Which is a shame because he's the perfect winger for Malkin.

The only way Morozov is on this team is if Malkin flat out says he wants Morozov to play on his wing next year or he isn't coming over. As much as I have disliked Morozov in the past, he is the leading scorer in the RSL and also being a UFA someone will sign him and probably overpay as well.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Reilly on Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:43 pm

I don't have a problem with Armstrom being on the first line, however, don't expect to make the playoffs.
Reilly

Postby Kicksave on Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:49 pm

Reilly wrote:I don't have a problem with Armstrom being on the first line, however, don't expect to make the playoffs.

Why can't Armstrong be a top liner? He has 10 goals, 15 assists, and is a +6 on a very weak offensive team in 34 games.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:42 pm

Kicksave wrote:
Reilly wrote:I don't have a problem with Armstrom being on the first line, however, don't expect to make the playoffs.

Why can't Armstrong be a top liner? He has 10 goals, 15 assists, and is a +6 on a very weak offensive team in 34 games.

Armstrong is at best a 3rd line player on a stanley cup team. Nice player, enjoy his passion and physical play, but he's not someone who can be dependant to produce points. Same goes for Ryan Malone.
Reilly

Postby scals37 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:45 pm

we need to sign a big name defenseman, period....
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby OneTimer on Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:19 pm

I think it will be tough to lure FAs here because of the possibilty of the Pens moving. Any new players to the organization will come through trades (except for Recchi). Until Leclair gets traded in the summer, it still seems like Recchi will be back since he probably will be fairly cheap.

Also, I think with the waiver rules being what they are now, players who need to pass through waivers will get every chance to stick with the team, even after training camp ends. CP took a lot of heat for not keeping Christensen and Whitney at the start of the season, but with all these young players, it's just good asset management. Although once a waiver-eligible player is sent down, management should have the policy of not bringing them back up for the season. If this made clear to the players, you'll certainly get the best out of those players. I think Christensen and Talbot will start the season in the AHL, waiting for first/second line or third/fourth line injuries/demotions respectively. Lannon will be the first call-up for any injuries on D.

I hope Endicott isn't with the team next year, but he probably will be. He must have seen Pens management kill and cannibalize a hooker. I thought Brian Holzinger had something, but Endicott must have him beat.

Nordgren will probably move back overseas like Morozov did.

Hilbert / Crosby / Armstrong
Surovy or someone he gets traded for / Malkin / Rita
(or worst case scenario: LeClair / Endicott / Recchi)
Malone / Kolanos / Boguniecki
Koltsov / Taticek / Roy
Ex: Murley / Ouellet

Scuderi / Gonchar
Whitney / Welch
Orpik / Melichar
Ex: Cairns

Fleury / Caron
OneTimer
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Kicksave on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:11 pm

Reilly wrote:
Kicksave wrote:

Armstrong is at best a 3rd line player on a stanley cup team. Nice player, enjoy his passion and physical play, but he's not someone who can be dependant to produce points. Same goes for Ryan Malone.

Armstrong, at best a 3rd liner :roll:
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jdev28 on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:38 pm

I'd like to see them take the top D-Man in the draft, and if they could somehow get Jonathan Cheechoo, that would be awesome. Keep in mind, this is what I would like to see. I know san jose wouldn't give him up.
jdev28
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:28 pm

I keep reading Crosby as first line and Malkin as second. Watching both play, I think Malkin will be the top line center soon, if not next year.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Hm...

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:34 am

Ex-PatriotePen i hoped you joked about it.... ;) i didnt get your american joke...
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Hm...

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:37 am

Pens4Life wrote:Ex-PatriotePen i hoped you joked about it.... ;) i didnt get your american joke...

Yeah.. just fun'n P4L...

We be cool. :-) :-)

It was a joke. :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins