Entertaining game marred by lousy officiating...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Entertaining game marred by lousy officiating...

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:29 am

An entertaining game to attend, but the officiating was horrible, especially #45 Justin St. Pierre. Coincidentally (or perhaps not), he is listed as a minor league ref in the game program. He had the worst trait you can have as a referee - inconsistency. He would be calling the games strictly by the book one moment, then let things go the next. The crew was bad as a whole, but he stood out. The non-call on Bulis for checking Hilbert from behind was as bad a blown call as you could ever see. That non-call leading directly to a goal for Montreal made it even worse. How that isn't called but the other tickey-tack stuff was makes no sense. Calling the game strictly by the book is fine, but you have to do it the whole game. Having both refs call the same way would also be a plus.

All that aside, the Pens still had their chances. They got off to a decent start, firing the first 5 shots of the game on Aebischer, but couldn't get the first goal. The penalty killing was not as good as it had been lately. They had trouble clearing the puck all night long, alot of times because they were firing the puck around the wall without taking a look. Scuderi was doing this a lot. John LeClair played horrible until he scored, then he appeared to care. Before that he was making wide turns to come back to his zone and not finishing any of his checks. He was an empty jersey for most of the night. Fleury didn't have his A game either.

On the plus side, Armstrong had another good game. I understand why his third goal was disallowed, but I don't believe it was intentional or deliberate, which was the explanation given at the arena. The puck was coming at his face and he put his arm up to protect himself. Tough break, but still an excellent game by him.

Koltsov was everywhere. I question whether he'll ever score much, but tonight was an excellent example of how he can benefit a team. He can very disruptive with his speed and can create for his linemates.

Noah Welch had a pretty good game, scoring on Fleury aside (but even that was a pretty nice shot; he roofed it!). The keep in on the Surovy goal was something you don't expect a rookie to make and his goal was tremendous. He is solid one-on-one and the best example was him standing up a Hab coming in on him down the slot. On the post game show, Steigy said Phil Bourque called him a first round pick that was taken in the second round. That would seem to be a pretty fair assesment. It's too bad he's here on emergency recal and will be headed back down after Wednesday. He appears to have a really bright future though; does a lot of things really well and does not appear to have any glaring weaknesses.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MrKnowNothing on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:18 am

I agree totally with everything.

I don't have a voice right now, and I'm actually a little surprised my stupidness didn't get me warned or thrown out. I was really livid from the Hilbert call on.

It's one thing to suck at reffing. Half of them do usually. But not calling boarding just irks me. They only enforce that rule consistently when players get hurt. They are setting a horrible precedent that is very dangerous for the sport as a whole, because one day somebody is going to get seriously hurt or killed due to a boarding penalty. They need to get these kinds of penalties out of the game alltogether. There will obviously be occasions where something kind of weird happens and a guy is hit awkwardly, but they need to crack down on boarding harshly.

I think I remember St Pierre from WBS games, but it's been a while. He was horrible.

People were really fired up tonight all night. The Habs fans were there in numbers, but they didn't bother me. I kind of like it because it makes for a more lively atmosphere. I didn't really get the USA chant, but whatever. Pittsburghers will be Pittsburghers. Some guy threw a mullet wig on the ice after the Armstrong third goal, which I think they actually made the right call on.

I agree about Welch. It's only been two games, but really, he looks plenty ready to finish out the NHL season to me. Playoff experience will be good, but if he doesn't start the season with the Pens in a top 4 role, something is wrong or we signed Chara, Redden, and Skrastins...

I think Therrien should try Surovy as the LW for Crosby. He has been playing very well of late. He looks faster or something, and he has more jam in his game. He was fighting for a goal all night, a lot more than his linemates (generally). I thought Ouellet was pretty bad tonight.

Armstrong should be with Crosby from now on. To say he is a third liner is underselling his skills, IMO. He can hang out there with Crosby and he has a good shot. He's not going to get 40 goals anytime, but he plays well with Crosby and adds the physical/banger element that you want on that line. They need a pure sniper, and Surovy has the skillset for it over pretty much anyone they have. It's not saying much, but it's probably worth a shot.
MrKnowNothing

Re: Entertaining game marred by lousy officiating...

Postby NIN on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:45 am

On the plus side, Armstrong had another good game. I understand why his third goal was disallowed, but I don't believe it was intentional or deliberate, which was the explanation given at the arena. The puck was coming at his face and he put his arm up to protect himself. Tough break, but still an excellent game by him.

I thought he directed it in deliberately but I was really hoping for a break by the replay officials. At first he kind of sold it like he was trying not to get hit in the face but we know Colby. He is probably one of the smartest players in the league and he did what needed to be done to get that puck on net. Armstrong has average ability but he is the smartest hockey player on the team. He might be one of the smartest players in the league.

Koltsov was everywhere. I question whether he'll ever score much, but tonight was an excellent example of how he can benefit a team. He can very disruptive with his speed and can create for his linemates.

I hope that one day a :idea: goes on in his head and he figures out how to play the game at the same speed his legs carry him. Keep playing him. Keep playing him. Keep playing him.

Noah Welch had a pretty good game, scoring on Fleury aside (but even that was a pretty nice shot; he roofed it!). He appears to have a really bright future though; does a lot of things really well and does not appear to have any glaring weaknesses.

I think he is going to be very good for us but he better layoff the big hit until he gets use to the speed of the game. I think he might feel that he has only 3 games before he is sent back down and he is clearly pressing too hard to make a good impression. Creeping out to make the big hit has made him flat footed acouple times and that will usually cost you in the NHL. He will definately make the team next season and if I am in management I would'nt think twice about moving other defensmen in the offseason to make room for him.
NIN

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:39 am

IMO Welch has been the best Pens defenseman for two games now. He made a couple mistakes in the second game but this kid can play at the NHL level and should be a lock to make the team next year.

I would also like to take this opportunity to call out Gonchar. I don't know that there's a bigger wuss in the whole NHL. God forbid he should actually touch an opposing player in the defensive end. No, just wave your stick at them as the skate past Sergei. :roll:

I'm at the point where I would actually give someone Gonch and another player for nothing just to get him out of here.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

boo to #45 referee

Postby penny lane on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:38 am

I never yell that much at the refs until last night.
When you are the last team you really don't get a break of any sort.
That aside...I enjoyed the play-off type atmosphere the Habs fans
brought to the igloo along with the singing cheers. Penguins hung in almost goal for goal...that's 5 woo-hoo. Plus, didn't make a $$ worth of difference but I absolutely loved the pens determination in not allowing the habs to get the empty net goal.

Last few games I am not going to get on Sergei nor Leclair, they are what they are.

Koltsov can match and deal with any fast player; his hockey sense is growing to think first and then move with blazing speed.

I know T Surovy had 6 mins of penalties but I saw him make good back-checking plays .

Sid; any idea why he got into the face of #21, C Higgins at the end of
the game? Aside from the ifffy call with Sergei on the 2-man pens
advantage. Sid can really be an , oh SOB, to play against beyond his skills.

High fives to Kenny Wregget sitting next to me...over in the igloo seats
that is. :P

hate losing but I'll take the canadians in the playoffs versus the leafs
every day or the thrashers for that matter.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jdev28 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:58 am

NIN

Congrats on recently reaching the 1000 post milestone. You have ensured your way into the LGP Hall of Fame!

:D
jdev28
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: boo to #45 referee

Postby NIN on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:00 am

penny lane wrote:hate losing but I'll take the canadians in the playoffs versus the leafs

Really? I gotta say that since the Thrashers are so fun to watch I will be alittle disapointed if they don't make it in. I really think that they are a team that can do some damage and upset Ottawa or Carolina. Kovalchuk is a jagoff but man can he play. I would like to see Kovy make it too but I don't see the Habs upsetting anybody. Not when the Pens almost swept them. :?
NIN

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:38 am

NIN wrote:
penny lane wrote:hate losing but I'll take the canadians in the playoffs versus the leafs

Really? I gotta say that since the Thrashers are so fun to watch I will be alittle disapointed if they don't make it in. I really think that they are a team that can do some damage and upset Ottawa or Carolina. Kovalchuk is a jagoff but man can he play. I would like to see Kovy make it too but I don't see the Habs upsetting anybody. Not when the Pens almost swept them. :?

I used to like the Thrash unil I saw their punk antics against the Pens. Once Kovalchuk did that crap, no way can I root for them. I cannot root for low-class outfits like them or the Leafs.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Guruzilla on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:02 pm

netwolf wrote:Koltsov was everywhere. I question whether he'll ever score much, but tonight was an excellent example of how he can benefit a team. He can very disruptive with his speed and can create for his linemates.

I'm a big Koltsov fan, for just this reason -- the guy never stops, and he's practically the poster boy for "chasing the puck".

Looked the other day, and he had a *lot* of points, both regular season and playoffs, for WBS -- was that an aberration, or has he just 'lost it' here recently?
Guruzilla
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:36 pm

penny lane wrote:Sid; any idea why he got into the face of #21, C Higgins at the end of

He got elbowed in the mush during the scrum in the corner.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:19 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:
penny lane wrote:Sid; any idea why he got into the face of #21, C Higgins at the end of

That couldn't have been it. Elbowing is a penalty. :P
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:35 pm

netwolf wrote:
Mango Salsa wrote:

That couldn't have been it. Elbowing is a penalty. :P

Sid is learning...go after the guy at the end of the game! :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:09 pm

Guruzilla wrote:
netwolf wrote:Koltsov was everywhere. I question whether he'll ever score much, but tonight was an excellent example of how he can benefit a team. He can very disruptive with his speed and can create for his linemates.

I'm a big Koltsov fan, for just this reason -- the guy never stops, and he's practically the poster boy for "chasing the puck".

Looked the other day, and he had a *lot* of points, both regular season and playoffs, for WBS -- was that an aberration, or has he just 'lost it' here recently?

Thanks to Koltsovs ability to go from 0-60 in 2 seconds he is one of the leagues top divers this season. His EPPM vs. PIM is outstanding!!

See, I knew you liked diving. :D
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins