Did Welch put it in his own net with his stick?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Did Welch put it in his own net with his stick?

Postby ivand87 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:29 am

I was just watching the highlights on NHL.com - I didn't get NHL Center Ice this year (somehow I'm not regretting this :wink: ).

It seemed like he had his stick down, and the pass from the unidentified Habs player hit his stick, not his skate, and he put it in.

It almost seemed like he had a complete brain fart and actually wanted to score in his own team's net.

So which was it, his stick or one of his skates?
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:35 am

That was pretty much a Steve Smith type of blunder but in a pretty much meaningless game and he made up for it shortly after. I hope he got that out of his system and he can relax alitte bit more next time he gets the puck there. :D
NIN

Postby pmh118 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:52 am

Not only did he put it in his own net, he buried it top shelf. :lol:

Other than that, he played a very strong game.
pmh118
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:51 am

He clearly reacted too quickly to Kovy's centering pass hitting his stick. In his haste to clear it to the corner, he moved too fast and roofed it just inside the crossbar. Sweet move...wrong goalie!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:28 am

NIN wrote:That was pretty much a Steve Smith type of blunder but in a pretty much meaningless game and he made up for it shortly after. I hope he got that out of his system and he can relax alitte bit more next time he gets the puck there. :D

Well, Steve Smith banked it off of his own goalie while setting up a breakout from behind his own net. It was the biggest gaffe I've ever seen, especially because of the situation it occured in. I don't think Welch's was nearly as dumb, just very freakish.

Welch, I think, just panicked a little with the puck on his stick in his own slot, and simply hooked the clear (alot). He was just trying to clear it into the corner, but his body was turning slightly when he got it and just blew it. It didn't destroy his game though, so I think that is a real positive. He played well before and after that.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Just another

Postby rasbatch on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:09 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
NIN wrote:That was pretty much a Steve Smith type of blunder but in a pretty much meaningless game and he made up for it shortly after. I hope he got that out of his system and he can relax alitte bit more next time he gets the puck there. :D

Well, Steve Smith banked it off of his own goalie while setting up a breakout from behind his own net. It was the biggest gaffe I've ever seen, especially because of the situation it occured in. I don't think Welch's was nearly as dumb, just very freakish.

Welch, I think, just panicked a little with the puck on his stick in his own slot, and simply hooked the clear (alot). He was just trying to clear it into the corner, but his body was turning slightly when he got it and just blew it. It didn't destroy his game though, so I think that is a real positive. He played well before and after that.

big save that fluery didn't make. :roll:
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:25 pm

Accidents happen, but what was telling was how he responed, didnt let it ruin the game for him and he actually scored one to make up for it. Can't ask for much more than that.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins