Collier on Fleury

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Collier on Fleury

Postby Admin on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:55 am

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Collier on Fleury

Postby NIN on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:59 am

Admin wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06086/677194-61.stm

Wheres your pucks Admin? C'mon man....don't you wanna be cool? Everybody whos ANYBODY has at least one puck displayed. :wink:
NIN

Postby Admin on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:08 am

NIN wrote:Wheres your pucks Admin? C'mon man....don't you wanna be cool? Everybody whos ANYBODY has at least one puck displayed. :wink:

I'm not worthy... :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:27 pm

Admin wrote:I'm not worthy... :lol:

Plebeian. :P
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:45 pm

So Fleury is going to be a great goaltender?... ....

Good Call, Gene.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:49 pm

Admin wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06086/677194-61.stm

like the Blawnow Yella in describing :maf 's pads.

~In an era when the Penguins have established themselves in sartorial officialdom as wearing black and Las Vegas Gold, Fleury comes out night after night in black and Blawnox Yella.~

Good to know pgh media still covering the penguins. For about the past
2 weeks no media around for after game thoughts. On the newscasts
about 30 seconds of highlights. Not including Foxsports, of course.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:10 pm

penny lane wrote:Not including Foxsports, of course.

Speaking of Fox Sports, who really comes first? Penguin fans or Pirate fans? :P
Admin
Site Admin

Postby rasbatch on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:21 pm

Admin wrote:

Well on WTAE the news comes first, but honestly as long as everyones satisfied does it really matter who comes first? :lol:
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

WTAE news...

Postby penny lane on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:35 pm

rasbatch wrote:
Admin wrote:

Well on WTAE the news comes first, but honestly as long as everyones satisfied does it really matter who comes first? :lol:

Veron Haynes & Jamie Dixon news came first over the weekend.
Anything the steelers do in post-superbowl year will be #1 item.
as it should :roll:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stoosh on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:39 pm

Well on WTAE the news comes first

And with WTAE, that almost always means a feature on the latest Steeler signing, departure, personnel move, player appearance, player decision to reconnect with his roots, player decision to pursue a post-football career as a studio host for a pregame show, player post-meal "emission" (cue Sally Wiggin's voice..."BREAKING NEWS: Big Ben stopped at McDonald's, ordered a Big Mac and farted a half-hour later...let's go to Sheldon Ingram live at the scene!"), you get the picture.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:50 pm

I never liked WTAE. I was always a KDKA man myself.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

hey stoosh

Postby rasbatch on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:54 pm

Would you mind gettin me 5 slices of breezy's pizza and drivin them down to morgantown? I got a real hankerin, and word is I'm a pretty good tipper
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: hey stoosh

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:09 pm

rasbatch wrote:Would you mind gettin me 5 slices of breezy's pizza and drivin them down to morgantown? I got a real hankerin, and word is I'm a pretty good tipper

Breezy's???? From Hopewell? I lived in Hopewell for four years and never could figure out why that place was so popular... now Mama Lucias, That's a different story!

I also lived in Wash pa for 10 years and Osso's was the big local pizza down there... it wasn't to bad.. I still perefer Montecello's in Ross.

Now if only they'd open a "Wings and Things" up here. :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

two words

Postby rasbatch on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:14 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
rasbatch wrote:Would you mind gettin me 5 slices of breezy's pizza and drivin them down to morgantown? I got a real hankerin, and word is I'm a pretty good tipper

Breezy's???? From Hopewell? I lived in Hopewell for four years and never could figure out why that place was so popular... now Mama Lucias, That's a different story!

I also lived in Wash pa for 10 years and Osso's was the big local pizza down there... it waasn't to bad.. I still perefer Montecello's in Ross.

Now if only they'd open a "Wings and Things" up here. :-)

sicilian style!! I guess it's not really that special, but you know the pizza you grow up with always has a special place in your heart. Wings and things bean supreme still rocks, but the wings have gone down hill or the competitors have gotten better.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:01 pm

Cripes, that article was painful to read. To wit:

His hyper opulent contract had no counterbalance with his short-term value, and his every trip on the shuttle to Baby Penguins Land sparked spasms of second-guessing. The fan base howled again when he spent this seasons first seven-and-a-half weeks in Wilkes-Barre, and only the shocking development of the Adult Penguins starting this hockey season with a persistent imitation of a burning building compelled the judgment that the big club no longer had much to risk with an experienced goalie.

In the darkest months of a black-ice Penguins winter, Fleury has been sliced with a two-edged sword and somehow escaped with his psychological temerity full intact.

Does this guy need an editor or what?
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:09 pm

Fast B wrote:Cripes, that article was painful to read. To wit:

His hyper opulent contract had no counterbalance with his short-term value, and his every trip on the shuttle to Baby Penguins Land sparked spasms of second-guessing. The fan base howled again when he spent this seasons first seven-and-a-half weeks in Wilkes-Barre, and only the shocking development of the Adult Penguins starting this hockey season with a persistent imitation of a burning building compelled the judgment that the big club no longer had much to risk with an experienced goalie.

In the darkest months of a black-ice Penguins winter, Fleury has been sliced with a two-edged sword and somehow escaped with his psychological temerity full intact.

Does this guy need an editor or what?

He's always fancied himself as someone with an immense vocabulary. I think is an wanna-be english professor.

None-the-less, he should recognize that most of his readers (no offense to anyone here) didn't understand half those words.

Put the Thesaurus down Gene, step away from the Thesaurus and no one gets hurt. :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:12 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with editing. Collier just writes with a style similar to that with which he speaks. If you've heard him on DVE, he's obviously very intelligent and knowledgable about what he covers.

He does it with more of an editorial style that can be tougher to read if you're looking for a Karen Price written-with-little-words sports page type of article.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Vanbiesbrouck wrote: you're looking for a Karen Price written-with-little-words sports page type of article.

Ah Karen Price, the Dick and Jane of sportswriters :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:17 pm

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with editing. Collier just writes with a style similar to that with which he speaks. If you've heard him on DVE, he's obviously very intelligent and knowledgable about what he covers.

He does it with more of an editorial style that can be tougher to read if you're looking for a Karen Price written-with-little-words sports page type of article.

I don't know...his style of writing just feels awkward to me, like he's saying a lot while only really saying a little. I have heard him speak though, and his style seems to work better in that medium.

And trust me, as a former aspiring copy editor, I'm not afraid of big words myself. :D
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:44 pm

If I could take 3 restraurants from the Burgh and transplant them in every city in the world it'd be a Primantis, an Eat'N'Park, and a Quaker Steak and Lube.

I miss Smiley cookies and Breakfast Smiles. :cry:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:51 pm

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:If I could take 3 restraurants from the Burgh and transplant them in every city in the world it'd be a Primantis, an Eat'N'Park, and a Quaker Steak and Lube.

I miss Smiley cookies and Breakfast Smiles. :cry:

They still have an Eat N' Park in Carlisle don't they? That's not too far from you :-)

I also remember something about a Primanti's in Ft Lauderdale.

As for Quaker Steak I've been to the original in Sharon Pa.
They expanded into Florida, Carolina, Ohio and even Wisc.
I know the owners are very ambitious, maybe soon eh?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:56 pm

Yeah there are Sheetz's and Eat'N'Parks within a 2 hours drive. I just wish they were down the street like they used to be.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins