The two line pass

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The two line pass

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:00 pm

So, with the season almost over, how do you think the elimination of the two line pass has effected the game?

I think it worked out just like they thought it would, and it should have been done sooner. I was on the bandwagon for that for a long time. However, it doesnt seem to have broke the trap like a lot have people thought it would, but then again it hasnt backed the defenseman way back like some said it would either.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:07 pm

I think it has sped up the game, eliminating a lot on needless stopages which is great. I do not think it has led to a whole lot of increase in scoring though. Not too many of those passes work out IMO.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:16 pm

I didn't like the two line pass. It does seem to make more options available and create more offensive chances, if not direct goals. I wonder if anyone has tracked how many goals have come from playes that would have been whistled for a two-line pass...?
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby jmh70 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:18 pm

My problem with it is that the linesmen very rarely nullify icing calls as a result of attempted passes. This is one new rule that lasted about two weeks.
jmh70

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:19 pm

Pitts wrote:I think it has sped up the game, eliminating a lot on needless stopages which is great. I do not think it has led to a whole lot of increase in scoring though. Not too many of those passes work out IMO.

The trapazoid for the goalie kind of tempered its effectiveness.

Make the trapazoid bigger or let goalies who handle the puck outside of the trapazoid be 'fair game' and you'll see the new "two line pass rule" open things up a bit.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Stoosh on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:28 pm

We all know Edzo loved the breakout pass. Before he was fired, for a minute there I would've guessed it was the only method that he and the coaching staff were teaching as a means to start the transition game from defense to offense.

In all seriousness (and Edzo's excessive reliance on the strategy aside), I love that you actually have a chance to see a real, live breakaway more than once every ten games. It's one of the most exciting in-game plays in hockey, but because of the way the NHL braintrust allowed the rules to be called, it had all but disappeared from the game. So I was overjoyed to see it come back with regularity this year.

At the very least, it keeps the middle of the ice open, opens up the flow of the game and helps to increase the frequency of scoring chances. After all, that's what the rule changes were designed to do. It didn't eliminate the trap per se, but it certainly impacted the effectiveness of the trap because there's now too much room through the neutral zone to cover.
Last edited by Stoosh on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:28 pm

jmh70 wrote:My problem with it is that the linesmen very rarely nullify icing calls as a result of attempted passes. This is one new rule that lasted about two weeks.

What they also should have done is instead of being behind the red line and have ot be icing is be in your own defensive zone. Once you get over your blue line send it down the ice. Any time the officials get to decide intent in any sport you are going to have problems. Every rule in sports should be black and white, no gray area.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:36 pm

DelPen wrote:Once you get over your blue line send it down the ice.

While it would mean less stoppages due to icing, you're begging for a new generation of dump and chase offenses and traps to counter this. It would just occur 15 feet further down the ice, and probably to a more extreme level.

Endicott could skate a shorter distance before dumping it, so I'm all for it. Advantage slug.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guruzilla on Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:54 pm

I adore the rule change. Love it, the game looks like hockey again to me... 8)

Seriously, I think it helps separate fast and slow players -- the breakouts, long cross-ice passes, and high-speed attacks let guys like Crosby shine. The lack of stoppages means more shift-rolling, more continuous play, and meaningful counterattacks.

If they changed the rule back, I'd seriously wail and gnash my teeth... :x
Guruzilla
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:06 pm

DelPen wrote:Any time the officials get to decide intent in any sport you are going to have problems. Every rule in sports should be black and white, no gray area.

Agree 100%. Gray areas, like shadows, are places for an official to hide.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pmh118 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:01 pm

If only Mario could've played without the 2-line pass rule in his heyday. *sigh*
pmh118
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:13 pm

pmh118 wrote:If only Mario could've played without the 2-line pass rule in his heyday. *sigh*

I was thinking about this the other day... (Yeah I was surprised to find myself being able to think as well) :-)

If Crosbys style is most like Gretz
If Ovechkins style is most like Jags

No one still plays like Mario. :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:05 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:No one still plays like Mario. :-)

One word.................Malkin.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:36 pm

Daniel wrote:

I haven't seen Malkin enough to know... are you being facious..or serious?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:41 pm

Malkin looks very smart and skilled.... but to be comparing him to Lemieux is definately premature.

I don't think he has or will ever have that kind of goal scoring ability, either.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:43 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I am mostly being facious, but he sure looks like Mario on the ice. Both are tall with long reach and long stride. I only watched Malkin in the Olympics, but he sure was impressive.

I hate saying someone will be the next so and so. I would prefer to say that Malkin will be the next Malkin and that he will be one heck of a player. I honestly think he will be better than Crosby when it is all said and done.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:58 pm

Daniel wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I am mostly being facious, but he sure looks like Mario on the ice. Both are tall with long reach and long stride. I only watched Malkin in the Olympics, but he sure was impressive.

I hate saying someone will be the next so and so. I would prefer to say that Malkin will be the next Malkin and that he will be one heck of a player. I honestly think he will be better than Crosby when it is all said and done.

Speaking of Mario being tall...

One day when Mario was out recovering from Hodgkins in the early/mid 90's I went to a game and stopped by the Igloo club afterwards.

Those of you that have been to the Igloo club know that there's an elevator in there that goes from ground level, to the Igloo Club, and then up to the Boxes.

The Elevator has a door in the front AND in the back because the back is how you get in/off on the ground level, but the front is fr the Igloo (I don't know about the Box level - I've never been there).

Anyway, Iws leaving the Igloo Club after the gane and when the elevator door opened it was packed. I knew the elevator operator though and he motioned us in with a smile.

As I moved into the packed elevator people moved around to make room as they will and I was looking down so as not to walk on anyones feet.

I moved deep into the elevator and saw a pair of shiny wing-tipped shoes pointed directly at me. "God this suit is stupid" I thought "Doesn't he know the elevator opens behind him on the next level?" as I moved my gaze up the mans suit pants I realized he was tall, and this was a real nice suit. That just made me have more contempt for him. "spoiled corporate brat" I thought to myself. As my gaze kept moving up I noticed he hada nice tie and was really well put together "Yeah but he has NO brains" I thought to myself.

All of a sudden I gazed up and realized that looking down at me, inches away from me, was Mario. He must have seen the serious contempt and annoyance in my eyes. He just smiled this huge grin. I looked at him and my expression changed from disgust to awe. "Hi Mario" I muttered, he laughed softly and said "Hi". The door opened and Mario and his entroage walked away leaving me speachless.

:-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:33 pm

So the moral of the story is "if I weren't a weenie, Mario might have had a nice conversation with me." :lol:
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:42 pm

Daniel wrote:So the moral of the story is "if I weren't a weenie, Mario might have had a nice conversation with me." :lol:

Something like that :-) ;-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:49 pm

Somehow we have gone from the two line pass, to mario's shoes in an elevator. Outstanding work. :D

I never got to meet Lemieux, I wish I had. I met Phil Borque and Troy Loney at Century 3 mall once, way back in the day. Oh I seen Lemeiux's old house in Mt. Lebo, the one with the L on the front.... I also saw some burnout marks in front of the driveway probably from a Ferrari :D
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:11 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Somehow we have gone from the two line pass, to mario's shoes in an elevator. Outstanding work. :D

I know, that darned ExPatriatePen. :lol: I guess I should bring up my flight with Carmine Ragooza from Laverne and Shirley. :lol:

To get back on track, I am excited to see what this young team can do next year. While I don't think this team will be elite, I think we can see a team contending for a playoff spot.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:22 pm

In an effort to get the conversation back on track... thee's a new article by Specter on the conditon of the Pens and a look to their future.

No mention of Eric Johnson, an omission I was surpised to see.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5448982
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:31 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:In an effort to get the conversation back on track... thee's a new article by Specter on the conditon of the Pens and a look to their future.

No mention of Eric Johnson, an omission I was surpised to see.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5448982

He kind of contradicts himself in this article, and both might be right. He is saying that CP messed up in the Summer and that no one fulfilled expectations. Not to say both might be right, but it kind of read like a diving and tripping penalty being called on the same play. I think if everyone CP got played to their potential, this would have been a different season. I doubt the playoffs would be made, but the Pens wouldn't be the laughingstock.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:33 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
pmh118 wrote:If only Mario could've played without the 2-line pass rule in his heyday. *sigh*

I was thinking about this the other day... (Yeah I was surprised to find myself being able to think as well) :-)

If Crosbys style is most like Gretz
If Ovechkins style is most like Jags

No one still plays like Mario. :-)

Actually, I think Crosby's more similar to Jagr, particularly in the goal-scoring department. He's scored more than just a few goals this season that reminded me of Jagr. His highlight goal from the first Caps game eerily reminded me of Jagr. The stick-handling and backhand really do it. I see Crosby kind of as a mixture of Jagr and Forsberg. He's got Jagr's scoring touch with Forsberg's play-making ability and toughness.

If anyone reminds me of Mario, it's Ovechkin. I don't know if he can make plays like Mario, but the types of goals he scores really remind me of Mario. The way he can just beat people one-on-one and the crazy goals he scores, that's Mario.

But when it comes down to it, they're themselves. By the time their careers are over, they will have carved out their own niche in hockey history.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:54 pm

Daniel wrote:Not to say both might be right, but it kind of read like a diving and tripping penalty being called on the same play.

That can happen and often does. You are skating the puck up and I catch up to you (which makes you really, really slow, btw!). I hook you but not hard enough to even pull you off your stride. However, you go down like you were shot. I am guilty of a hook and you are guilty of a dive. See? :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins