The two line pass

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby DelPen on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:33 pm

pmh118 wrote:If only Mario could've played without the 2-line pass rule in his heyday. *sigh*

More like if only Barrasso could've played without it. That man was the best goalie I've ever seen hitting guys on break out passes, if there were no two liners he'd have about 20 more career assists.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby eberhard on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:10 pm

Stoosh wrote:We all know Edzo loved the breakout pass. Before he was fired, for a minute there I would've guessed it was the only method that he and the coaching staff were teaching as a means to start the transition game from defense to offense.

Great point. This is my favorite strategic difference in MT vs. Edzo. Those long breakout passes were killing me.

As a coach once told me, puck movement should be a series of small, odd-man rushes up the ice. Not a hail mary.
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:39 pm

netwolf wrote:
Daniel wrote:Not to say both might be right, but it kind of read like a diving and tripping penalty being called on the same play.

That can happen and often does. You are skating the puck up and I catch up to you (which makes you really, really slow, btw!). I hook you but not hard enough to even pull you off your stride. However, you go down like you were shot. I am guilty of a hook and you are guilty of a dive. See? :lol:

This is why I worded it tripping and diving, not hooking. Image
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby saveourpens on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:57 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
pmh118 wrote:If only Mario could've played without the 2-line pass rule in his heyday. *sigh*

If anyone reminds me of Mario, it's Ovechkin. I don't know if he can make plays like Mario, but the types of goals he scores really remind me of Mario. The way he can just beat people one-on-one and the crazy goals he scores, that's Mario.

The difference between Mario and everyone else is that Mario scored his goals almost effortlessly. He could do mind numbing moves in his sleep. On the other hand, both Crosby and Ovechkin look as though their results are due to incredibly hard work.

Crosby spent 6 hours a day playing hockey in Juniors, meanwhile Mario, according to Bourqy, didn't put on skates during offseason, and came back with the same vigor during training camp. Mario was born with his talents while everyone else has to work 10 times harder.
saveourpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:13 am

Ovechkin reminds you of Mario? Boy, that's exact opposite for me. Ovechkin is out of the Pavel Bure mold, Bure had more speed but I think the comparison is valid. Both did not have great playmaking abilities as well.

Nobody really reminds me of Lemieux. Crosby has the potential to be a great playmaker, but I dont think he has marios scoring ability....

Then again... it's still early in his career. Crosby is still adding tools to the box.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:36 am

saveourpens wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

If anyone reminds me of Mario, it's Ovechkin. I don't know if he can make plays like Mario, but the types of goals he scores really remind me of Mario. The way he can just beat people one-on-one and the crazy goals he scores, that's Mario.

The difference between Mario and everyone else is that Mario scored his goals almost effortlessly. He could do mind numbing moves in his sleep. On the other hand, both Crosby and Ovechkin look as though their results are due to incredibly hard work.

Crosby spent 6 hours a day playing hockey in Juniors, meanwhile Mario, according to Bourqy, didn't put on skates during offseason, and came back with the same vigor during training camp. Mario was born with his talents while everyone else has to work 10 times harder.

Just to set the record straight... I've been misquoted here. I never said that. In fact, I said I thought Ovechkins 'Power' game reminded me of Jagr, Crosbys fineese game reminded me of Gretz, and NO ONE played the game like Mario.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins