Malone, Armstrong and Fleury signing tonight at Dick's

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malone, Armstrong and Fleury signing tonight at Dick's

Postby Admin on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:57 pm

diane (aka Penny Lane) mentioned this earlier:

Ryan Malone, Colby Armstrong, and Marc-Andre Fleury will be at the Dick's Sporting Goods at the Mall at Robinson tonight - Monday, March 27, 2006. This player appearance and signing session will run from 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm. This is a free event.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:02 pm

Darn! And I want to get Fleury too... Darn darn darn!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Admin on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:13 pm

Jim wrote:Darn! And I want to get Fleury too... Darn darn darn!

Monday night is Ballroom Dancing for you, right? :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jim on Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:19 pm

Actually, I have to hit the weights and then work on a retaining wall in the backyard. THe weather is favorable today to work on the wall. Robinsion is just a little too far whith the plans I have. SOrt of like going to Bethesda for you...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:16 pm

Jim wrote:Actually, I have to hit the weights and then work on a retaining wall in the backyard. THe weather is favorable today to work on the wall. Robinsion is just a little too far whith the plans I have. SOrt of like going to Bethesda for you...

There WILL be other days with favorable weather. Image
And while you're there, get me a 2 XX Pens' jersey and get the guys to sign it. Ok? :lol: Thank You :!:
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BJL on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:20 pm

Actually I am in line as I type this! About 75 people already here (4:20 PM)
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Admin on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:30 pm

BJL wrote:Actually I am in line as I type this!

What are you using to post on the board? Just curious.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BJL on Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:31 pm

I'm the lone geek in line w/ my notebook using the Mall's food court hot spot.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby letsgopens87 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:53 pm

There were so many people there. I don't think they got to everyone. I got there around 5:30 and the line was outside of Dick's already. I just got my stuff signed around 8. The guys were really nice about everything. :)
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:20 pm

I wish I would've been there! :(
Stevens25

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:11 am

letsgopens87 wrote:There were so many people there. I don't think they got to everyone. I got there around 5:30 and the line was outside of Dick's already. I just got my stuff signed around 8. The guys were really nice about everything. :)

They left at 8:15. My wife took my son and a friend out there and stood in line for over an hour and a half and never got to the end. They stood in line from the Dairy Queen in the food court...made it past the registers in Dick's.

EDIT: She said people were threatening to not renew season tix, they were so angry. One girl in front of her drove over 2 hours to meet Fleury and began to cry when the players left.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:29 am

Pitts wrote:
letsgopens87 wrote:There were so many people there. I don't think they got to everyone. I got there around 5:30 and the line was outside of Dick's already. I just got my stuff signed around 8. The guys were really nice about everything. :)

They left at 8:15. My wife took my son and a friend out there and stood in line for over an hour and a half and never got to the end. They stood in line from the Dairy Queen in the food court...made it past the registers in Dick's.

EDIT: She said people were threatening to not renew season tix, they were so angry. One girl in front of her drove over 2 hours to meet Fleury and began to cry when the players left.

I can understand people being upset, but I hope no one directed any of that towards the players. People often forget they have lives outside of the sport and while I'm sure they would have liked to sign for everyone, not all of the players have that kind of time.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BJL on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:32 am

Pitts wrote:They left at 8:15. My wife took my son and a friend out there and stood in line for over an hour and a half and never got to the end. They stood in line from the Dairy Queen in the food court...made it past the registers in Dick's.

That sucks, but they can't stay forever. They showed up 10-15 mins late, so at least they stayed the extra time to make up for being late.

I saw people showing up for it at 6:30 (when it was supposed to begin) and I thought OK you people have got to be kidding me if you think you're going to make it through the line if you're just now showing up.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby letsgopens87 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:43 am

netwolf wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I can understand people being upset, but I hope no one directed any of that towards the players. People often forget they have lives outside of the sport and while I'm sure they would have liked to sign for everyone, not all of the players have that kind of time.

Aw, that really sucks :( Do you think they expected that large of a turnout? There was wayy more people there than I thought there would be.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

I'm with BJL on this, too.

My brother-in-law and I got there at about 5:20 and when we got in line, we were basically standing in the mall entrance to the store. The players came out at about 6:40 and we got to them at around 7:20.

But BJL was right...there were still people coming in when we were leaving after 7:30 and looking to get in line.

I got two Ice Time programs signed. Malone signed one with his picture on it. Fleury and Armstrong signed on with Armstrong on the cover. The players couldn't have been nicer. I asked Fleury if he objected to signing the program with Armstrong's picture on it and he goes, "Ahhhh, no way, man, ya know...we gotta give-a da covers to da ugly guys sometimes too, eh." My brother-in-law mentioned to Malone that he's a season-ticket holder and Malone offered to shake his hand.

All told, it was pretty cool. Armstrong runs a very close second to Crosby as my favorite Pens player so it was really cool to meet him. I got some nice pictures of it, too.

I couldn't believe the amount of people there. I didn't even hear about this thing until yesterday, and even then, my brother-in-law and I weren't 100 % sure it was going on. I'm glad we went down though, and kudos & plaudets to these three for being genuinely good guys. They just helped make my decision to get season tickets next year even easier.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:55 am

netwolf wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I understand. I just had that conversation with my wife that people really should have more understanding that the players would be stuck there all night if the fans had any say. It's tough though when my son begins to shed a tear after waiting for this day for 3 days straight. He was really excited, then let down pretty big.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby letsgopens87 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:03 am

I feel really bad for all the people who weren't able to get autographs :( I would have been so upset. It kinda sucks because it seemed like some people were taking their good ol' time getting pictures of the players and stuff.

I got Malone and Fleury to sign 8x10s of each of them and Colby signed a picture of me and him from a past signing. They are all such nice guys. Malone basically made my little sister's night by making small talk about the weather with her. She's still gushing about it.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:21 am

letsgopens87 wrote:It kinda sucks because it seemed like some people were taking their good ol' time getting pictures of the players and stuff.

That's what got my wife upset. They set rules of 1 item perfan per player to keep the line moving and people were stalling with photos and other crap she said.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby letsgopens87 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:25 am

Pitts wrote:
letsgopens87 wrote:It kinda sucks because it seemed like some people were taking their good ol' time getting pictures of the players and stuff.

That's what got my wife upset. They set rules of 1 item perfan per player to keep the line moving and people were stalling with photos and other crap she said.

They were. I watched some dad hold up the line trying to get a picture of his daughter with each player. It was ridiculous at points.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BJL on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:37 am

You weren't supposed to be allowed to do photos WITH the players... photos OF them were fine, but it takes too long sometimes to do the photos with the players. That's not what those sessions are intended for.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby letsgopens87 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:44 am

BJL wrote:You weren't supposed to be allowed to do photos WITH the players... photos OF them were fine, but it takes too long sometimes to do the photos with the players. That's not what those sessions are intended for.

Yeah, I know. And just for the record, I did see some of the guys who I guess were in charge of this whole thing telling people this..but people just don't listen.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:31 am

Pitts wrote:EDIT: She said people were threatening to not renew season tix, they were so angry. One girl in front of her drove over 2 hours to meet Fleury and began to cry when the players left.

As an avid ex-hound people that go to events like that should expect long lines and even the possibility of not getting near the players. Threatening to not renew season ticket packages because you didn't get an autograph at a public signing at a Dick's somewhere is purely idiotic. If you are a season ticket holder you should have gone to the meet'n greet. You should also have ample oppertunities to get autographs before and after games. However, I have not gone, even once, since Fleury has been playing so I do not know his signing habits.

Don't even get me started on crying...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:33 am

letsgopens87 wrote:
BJL wrote:You weren't supposed to be allowed to do photos WITH the players... photos OF them were fine, but it takes too long sometimes to do the photos with the players. That's not what those sessions are intended for.

Yeah, I know. And just for the record, I did see some of the guys who I guess were in charge of this whole thing telling people this..but people just don't listen.

THey should hire me for that stuff. As I do not much like kids in general, and stupid parents even less... I would ahve fun!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:10 am

The best way to handle such a situation is to have everyone line up for an hour or two and then cut off the line. Then everyone in line will be allowed to get autographs.

And just make sure this is communicated before the event.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mnpensfan on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:18 am

Things like that they should really do the wristband deal. A set number of people get wristbands that guarantee an autograph. I will only go to autograph sessions that do that. That way I know either way and don't get as frustrated if I don't one.
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins