Malone, Armstrong and Fleury signing tonight at Dick's

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:58 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:The best way to handle such a situation is to have everyone line up for an hour or two and then cut off the line. Then everyone in line will be allowed to get autographs.

And just make sure this is communicated before the event.

Mall guards were walking the line telling everyone that there were over 800 people and past a certain point in the line, they most likely would not get in. But, you try telling my 10 yo son that who waited for days to get there and was there over an hour early! :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Goalie on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:58 am

I would never blame a player if he never wanted to sign an autograph because no matter how many things you sign, people you talk to there are always going to be people who feel slighted and will voice their concerns loudly and to everyone they meet.

If anyone cancels their season tickets because they did not get an autograph last night they need to get a life. Unless you are truly dense you have to realize there are going to be long lines at these things and that the players are not going to be there forever and if you show up and there is a long line when you get there you may not get an autograph or to meet the players.

For the record I have no desire to get autographs and never have only waited in a line like that one time and it was Kevin Stevens signing at a local department store in the early 90's and I was 10 or 11 at the time, I can not rememeber exactly when it was.

But seriously folks, be happy that the players will give their time for things like this, they have NO obligation to do anything like this and this is their personal time that they give up to be at things like this. There will be more, if it means that much to you to get an autograph get there early.

I do feel bad though for kids who do not get to meet their favorite athletes because Joe Collector has been camped out for hours to get 18 rookie cards signed. Or the guy at the Mario Lemieux Celebrity Invitational who has GARBAGE BAGS FULL of helmets and pictures that he is using his kid to get signed while he sits away from the action protecting his prized posessions. Sorry, little rant there.

*Note: I am not referring to anyone on this board as "you", just in a general sense to make my point.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:59 am

mnpensfan wrote:Things like that they should really do the wristband deal. A set number of people get wristbands that guarantee an autograph. I will only go to autograph sessions that do that. That way I know either way and don't get as frustrated if I don't one.

This was my wife's idea as well. It's the same thing they do on those Thanksgiving day sales for Christmas.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:01 am

Goalie, you sum up my thoughts and feelings exactly. The only reason I do any of this now is for my son who thinks it's something special. I have no desire for autographs...I can buy them on eBay from Joe Collector who stood there for hours! :shock:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:20 am

Pitts wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:The best way to handle such a situation is to have everyone line up for an hour or two and then cut off the line. Then everyone in line will be allowed to get autographs.

Mall guards were walking the line telling everyone that there were over 800 people and past a certain point in the line, they most likely would not get in. But, you try telling my 10 yo son that who waited for days to get there and was there over an hour early! :D

You stop allowing the line to grow after a certain amount of people or a certain amount of time. That way no one is waiting in line for nothing. Yeah you might have traveled there for nothing, but at least you are not waiting in line for nothing. Also they shouldn't have these things in malls. They should be somewhere in a controlled environment where the line can be contained to one area. not stretching all the way across a mall.

It is just poor planning by the Pens and Dicks.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BJL on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:36 am

I don't consider anyone who camps out for hours just to turn around and sell the stuff a "collector."
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:49 am

BJL wrote:I don't consider anyone who camps out for hours just to turn around and sell the stuff a "collector."

Sorry..."Dealer". :shock:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

that's unreal!

Postby penny lane on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:53 am

Pitts wrote:

800 fans...that's amazing, for last place team. I'm fond of them
but's crazy. Too bad Sid doesn't get to join in the fun with his friends. :wink:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:57 am

Pitts wrote:Mall guards were walking the line telling everyone that there were over 800 people and past a certain point in the line, they most likely would not get in. But, you try telling my 10 yo son that who waited for days to get there and was there over an hour early! :D

Your son was probably climbing along gerters on the celing somewhere... I can't believe you got him to actually stand in line.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:01 pm

Jim wrote:
Pitts wrote:Mall guards were walking the line telling everyone that there were over 800 people and past a certain point in the line, they most likely would not get in. But, you try telling my 10 yo son that who waited for days to get there and was there over an hour early! :D

Your son was probably climbing along gerters on the celing somewhere... I can't believe you got him to actually stand in line.

No, not the 4 year old...no way in H E double hockey sticks would I ever do that with him! :shock: I'm talking the older one. And, he "loafed" as my wife stood in line! Me, I was home chillin' with the little maniac! :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:03 pm

Yeah... he is like a super super-ball.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BJL on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:14 pm

Pitts wrote:
BJL wrote:I don't consider anyone who camps out for hours just to turn around and sell the stuff a "collector."

Sorry..."Dealer". :shock:

No problem... I don't like the guys that do that either. On the other hand, people who like to collect for themselves I have no problem with - no matter their age.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:04 pm

I can see both sides of it, but I do not have an issue with people selling stuff. I can not get Paul Karia's autograph in person. Reason... I do not live in Nashville. I have two choices: Mail item to him and ask for him to sign it or buy an autograph (ebay).

That is also the reason I do not think that the players should mind either. They have fans in other areas that are unable to get to the games or public appearances.

If they truely wanted to end the ebay-esque market, there is an easy solution... May it easy, REAL EASY to get stuff signed via email or snailmail. Ed Belfour has/had a signt where you could get thing already signed rather cheap (basically just the cost of the item). The stuff also came with a certificate from him. Now every player might not want to go through all the hastle of setting up a website... but they could do that via the team site. Offer signed cards for $1. Offer signed jerseys for like $5 more than unsigned. etc etc etc.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins