Crosby Vs. Lemieux

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crosby Vs. Lemieux

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:28 am

Mario Lemieux
73 GP
43 G
57 A
100 PTS
-35 +/-

Sidney Crosby
70 GP
32 G
48 A
80 PTS
-7 +/-

Both were 18 years old. Both played on poor teams. Scoring was higher back in 84 when Lemieux came in the league.

Thoughts anyone?
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:34 am

Two very talented but very different players from two very different era's.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:02 am

As great as Crosby will be, I don't think he will ever compare to Lemieux.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jmh70 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:35 am

The more interesting comparison for me is Malkin v Mario. It's still not a good comparison, but it's closer than Crosby v Mario.
jmh70

Crosby VS Lemieux

Postby lassic27 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:36 am

stop the comparison.....

We will never see another Lemieux possibly in our lifetime. Crosby is going to be a great player but he will never dominate the game like Lemieux did in his time. When Mario was in his prime everyone knew ( who weren't Gretzky lovers ) he was the greatest player in the game. I just don't see Crosby ever seperating himself from the pack like Lemieux did for a decade.

I agree that a Malkin VS Lemieux is a more reasonable comparison because of their similar size and skill. Crosby is more in the Gretzky comparison. He's never going to score the goals Lemieux did but he'll put up numbers like Gretzky did in his LA days. Something like 45-55 goals - 100-120 assits once he gets some finishers around him
lassic27

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:43 am

jmh70 wrote:The more interesting comparison for me is Malkin v Mario. It's still not a good comparison, but it's closer than Crosby v Mario.

Well I guess you will have to wait and see once Malkin plays a season in the NHL. And we can compare Malkin's stats to Crosby's. The Crosby/Lemieux comparison was just for discussion and to compare their rookie seasons. In no way im I trying to say Crosby will be the next Lemieux, because that won't happen. It will be interesting to see what Crosby does in the next 3 games, then they will have both played 73. He is already within 20 and will probably be within 15 points of Mario, which is an accomplishment in itself.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guido on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:53 am

comparing stats is useless...gretzsky and lemieux era stats vs. today? compare goalies and defensemen from now and then. not even close. mario and wayne did dominate the game, just as crosby and ovekchin may, but the stats may never compare.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dman66 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:35 am

ok ziggy, we get it, mario never played defense, ever.
never had a 13 shorties in a season, never cleaned up his own end, never poke checked going back into the zone, never hit anyone, never did anything besides stand at the red line and wait for a pass :roll:
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:50 am

He obvioulsy never watched a game from 1990-2006!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby the wicked child on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:59 am

Pitts wrote:He obvioulsy never watched a game from 1990-2006!

He was too busy wiping Melichar's ass.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Paulie_Walnutz on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:52 pm

ziggystardust wrote:Mario was probably the best offensive talent ever, and on top of that he never set foot in the defensive zone... its not fair to compare Croz to cherry-pickers like Lamoo.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions in NHL hockey. One, how many times have you seen Lemieux tool around with the puck in a time killing situation and all the other team could do was sit and watch? Because they certainly couldn't get the puck from him.
Two, how many times did Lemieux have to play defense. With the gawdy offensive numbers and so little games played, most of his time on the ice was spent in the offensive zone.

Three, scoring a shorthanded goal is just as good as killing a penalty. Even if the team scores on that same PP.

You won't find me saying that Lemieux was Jiri Lehtonen, but he certainly wasn't the worst defensive forwards in the game.
Paulie_Walnutz

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:57 pm

ziggystardust wrote:
jmh70 wrote:The more interesting comparison for me is Malkin v Mario. It's still not a good comparison, but it's closer than Crosby v Mario.

Malkin tries to play defense.
Mario never did.

Malkin could very easily end up being a better all around player than Mario.

I could think of a dozen players that are better all-around players than Mario and Malkin could very well end up being one as well. Messier, Yzerman, Francis. Those guys got alot of production and never (Messier being the exception, he floated sometimes) dismissed the importance of defensive zone draws and back checking.

Having said that, when Mario decided he wanted to play in all 3 zones. He was the best I ever seen play in all 3 zones.
NIN

Postby NIN on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:59 pm

Paulie_Walnutz wrote:
ziggystardust wrote:Mario was probably the best offensive talent ever, and on top of that he never set foot in the defensive zone... its not fair to compare Croz to cherry-pickers like Lamoo.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions in NHL hockey. One, how many times have you seen Lemieux tool around with the puck in a time killing situation and all the other team could do was sit and watch? Because they certainly couldn't get the puck from him.
Two, how many times did Lemieux have to play defense. With the gawdy offensive numbers and so little games played, most of his time on the ice was spent in the offensive zone.

Three, scoring a shorthanded goal is just as good as killing a penalty. Even if the team scores on that same PP.

You won't find me saying that Lemieux was Jiri Lehtonen, but he certainly wasn't the worst defensive forwards in the game.

Another important part of that misconception is that he forced teams to play their best defensive checkers against him. That usually meant very little threat of a counter attack because they did'nt possess fearsome skill.
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins