WTF IS THIS????

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

WTF IS THIS????

Postby Xgen on Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:54 pm

Proposed solution blocked...

I hate politics..

http://www.senatorfontana.com
Xgen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:36 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa (not kc)

Postby DelPen on Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:02 pm

Have you seen the whole bill though? There could very well be language in it that says a new arena MUST be payed for by private funds. Seems to me if that's the case, and that it is unfair to require FC and Harrah's to rework their plans since an arena was not a condition for the application, I don't even see this bill holding up in court.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,333
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:05 pm

Can't say I disagree with it. The government should not force any entity to provide a full free ride for an arena. If the applicant wants to "play nice" and offer arena funding, it is their choice, not the government's.

EDIT: Once I saw DelPen's post, I wanted to add: the arena funding should have been part of the original law/requirements when it was constructed. Doing a "180" now should be illegal.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,444
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby dboss on Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:45 pm

Pitts wrote:Can't say I disagree with it. The government should not force any entity to provide a full free ride for an arena. If the applicant wants to "play nice" and offer arena funding, it is their choice, not the government's.

EDIT: Once I saw DelPen's post, I wanted to add: the arena funding should have been part of the original law/requirements when it was constructed. Doing a "180" now should be illegal.


Yeah, but if it isn't who is really getting hurt here??? FC/Harrah's and Don Barden? I hope I am able to hold back the tears while typing this! :( (EXTREME SARCASM!) Basically the law would be requiring them to do what they should be doing now on a moral level. The city needs this new venue and if a smaller company like IoC is able to pay for this, why would the other applicants not be able to pay? They should be paying for this new venue and they should be required to do so if they can't bring themselves to do it on their own.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 am
Location: McCandless Twp, PA

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:02 pm

Let me clarify dboss ... I don't mind them forcing everyone to "even up" and provide the funding! :twisted:

I just think that there may be valid legal concerns at doing so at this point in the game. The other applicants merely have to say that it wasn't part of the original guidelines and planning and forcing them to do so now is not right.

If nothing else, items like this clearly tell the Gaming Control Board what the public of Western PA really wants out of this slots license. In that case, there is only one true way to award the license ... Isle of Capri.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,444
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:11 pm

DelPen wrote:Have you seen the whole bill though? There could very well be language in it that says a new arena MUST be payed for by private funds. Seems to me if that's the case, and that it is unfair to require FC and Harrah's to rework their plans since an arena was not a condition for the application, I don't even see this bill holding up in court.


It sounds from Fontana's press release (which of course has to be considered a questionable source at best) like he was requiring the gaming board to consider the financing of an arena as part of their deliberations with respect to awarding the license. Not nearly as unfair as requiring financing by the awardee, but still sort of changing the landscape in the middle of the process. I'm not sure if that would be legally problematic or not, since it only requires the gaming board to explicitly consider something that should already be a factor in their decision-making. Anyway, I can't bring myself to care about being fair to all the applicants when Harrah's has played what seems to be some very dirty pool in this process.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:20 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:Anyway, I can't bring myself to care about being fair to all the applicants when Harrah's has played what seems to be some very dirty pool in this process.

You got that right! FC/Harrah's is treating this like a slimy political race. Very uncool.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,444
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby Pitts on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

Other applicants and opponents already claiming shenanignas regarding using slots to fund an arena in response to Swann's support: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/n ... rena_x.htm

By "shenanigans", I mean, it wasn't in the original plan.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,444
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby HomerPenguin on Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:27 pm

Pitts wrote:Other applicants and opponents already claiming shenanignas regarding using slots to fund an arena in response to Swann's support: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/n ... rena_x.htm

By "shenanigans", I mean, it wasn't in the original plan.


As opposed to shenanigans like claiming that Pittsburgh will generate $150 more per day per machine than the most successful slots market in the country. Really, my heart is aching for them. :cry:
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:03 pm

I swear the next person who says "shenanigans" is going to get pistol-wipped.

Hey Favra what's that place you always go to with all the crap on the walls?

Shenanigans!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,885
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Postby DayWalker on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:20 am

Pitts wrote:Can't say I disagree with it. The government should not force any entity to provide a full free ride for an arena. If the applicant wants to "play nice" and offer arena funding, it is their choice, not the government's.

EDIT: Once I saw DelPen's post, I wanted to add: the arena funding should have been part of the original law/requirements when it was constructed. Doing a "180" now should be illegal.


I disagree.

The government is fully entitled to attach whatever strings it pleases. Afterall, no entity has a right to the slots license.

That said, the ex post facto nature of any new arena-financing mechanism may not withstand judicial scrutiny, thereby torpedoing any potential "Plan B."
DayWalker
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,745
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:35 pm
Location: Parts Unknown

Postby Peter on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:52 am

What does WTF stand for?
Peter
 

Postby ville5 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:59 am

Peter wrote:What does WTF stand for?

What The Puck?
Replace the P with the F.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,690
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Postby Peter on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:35 pm

That's what I thought. Isn't this a family board?

Actually WTP would be a good way to post that.
Peter
 

Postby netwolf on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:08 pm

Peter wrote:That's what I thought. Isn't this a family board?

Actually WTP would be a good way to post that.


This from the guy that linked to a story about "inappropriate activites" betweem some teenager and a mannequin. :P :D
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,347
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby Peter on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:18 pm

touche, netwolf. Touche.
Peter
 

Postby ville5 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:30 pm

netwolf wrote:
Peter wrote:That's what I thought. Isn't this a family board?

Actually WTP would be a good way to post that.


This from the guy that linked to a story about "inappropriate activites" betweem some teenager and a mannequin. :P :D

I have reason to believe that Peter is the teenager in question. And evidence is starting to mount to back this belief.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,690
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Postby netwolf on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:31 pm

Peter wrote:touche, netwolf. Touche.


No, I don't want to touch you and I don't want you to touch me either. Stop asking. :P :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,347
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby Peter on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:50 pm

I used to go to the ross park mall when I was young and....

nevermind. HEY THAT WAS A LONG TIME AGO!
Peter
 


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gabe, Hugo Stiglitz and 8 guests

e-mail