Swann's press conference..

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby SportsFan on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:00 pm

Another thing I hate about Swann up until recently he was from L.A.
SportsFan
 

Postby bill from turtle creek on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:12 pm

SportsFan wrote:Another thing I hate about Swann up until recently he was from L.A.


He's lived in Pittsburgh for 30 years.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Serenity Now, Serenity Now.

Postby NIN on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 pm

bill from turtle creek wrote:
SportsFan wrote:Another thing I hate about Swann up until recently he was from L.A.


He's lived in Pittsburgh for 30 years.


Cool dude. Go ahead and vote for him. :lol:
NIN
 

Postby SportsFan on Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:19 pm

UMMM.. No he had a house in Pittsburgh, but Southern California has always been his ome until now..

I remember him talking about this during a USC game a few seasons ago.
SportsFan
 

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:04 am

SportsFan wrote:Someone should of asked about the business he runs out of California, that sells Steelers merchandise, that has never paid a tax yet.

Or about his great voting record.

According to this article, he's running it out of Sewickley: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06088/677598-178.stm
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,554
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby SportsFan on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:06 am

I don't care what the article said, the point is, has he payed taxes on this?

Wait, I am sure he will take care of it. :(
SportsFan
 

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:10 am

SportsFan wrote:I don't care what the article said, the point is, has he payed taxes on this?

Wait, I am sure he will take care of it. :(

Truthfully, there are either no laws or very vague laws concerning sales tax collection through internet sales. Do you think all those eBayers pay tax accordingly? No way. The only one I can think of is that since he has the operation based in PA, he should be collecting sales tax on PA purchases. At most, Swann may be gulity of ignorance as far as internet business is concerned.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,554
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby SportsFan on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:15 am

Pitts wrote:
SportsFan wrote:I don't care what the article said, the point is, has he payed taxes on this?

Wait, I am sure he will take care of it. :(

Truthfully, there are either no laws or very vague laws concerning sales tax collection through internet sales. Do you think all those eBayers pay tax accordingly? No way. The only one I can think of is that since he has the operation based in PA, he should be collecting sales tax on PA purchases. At most, Swann may be gulity of ignorance as far as internet business is concerned.


Are the Ebayers running for govenor of Pa?

All he is doing is taking money out of the peoplem who vote for him pocket, a small amount each, but still he is doing it.
SportsFan
 

Postby Pitts on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:54 am

SportsFan wrote:
Pitts wrote:
SportsFan wrote:I don't care what the article said, the point is, has he payed taxes on this?

Wait, I am sure he will take care of it. :(

Truthfully, there are either no laws or very vague laws concerning sales tax collection through internet sales. Do you think all those eBayers pay tax accordingly? No way. The only one I can think of is that since he has the operation based in PA, he should be collecting sales tax on PA purchases. At most, Swann may be gulity of ignorance as far as internet business is concerned.


Are the Ebayers running for govenor of Pa?

All he is doing is taking money out of the peoplem who vote for him pocket, a small amount each, but still he is doing it.

He probably owes, at most, a couple thousand dollars in sales tax. Hardly worth crying over.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,554
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:16 am

Zscout wrote:For some reason the fog is so thick that the many a deer is getting slammed while staring into the high beams.
Swann has nothing to do with who gets the liscence. He can posture all he likes, but he has zero influence. Fast Eddy has some influence, but he is not so dumb to play sides (in public). A board will pick the liscensee, not the 11 politicians, and definitely not Swann or even worse, Santorum.
If a politician is backing any proposal, they are trying to illegally influence the process. They are the ones who are more likely to be greased by IOC than those staying neutral. That is why they set the process to be done by a board - to try to keep the politicians out of the selection process.
This has nothing to do with an arena. It has everything to do with a cash cow. It is a shame to know that poor western PA suckers will have to forfiet billions in gambling losses to fund an arena for the Penguins.


Zscout... with all due respect. Slots parlors in PA are a "DONE DEAL" fait accompli so to speak. It's happening. Ain't no going back.

Every PA citizen has some influence in the process if they want. Obviously some have much much more than others. But even you could have applied to speak at one of the local hearings... and if you had something unique and insightful to say, you'd stand a chance of the media (though probably not the post-gazette) publishing it, that could start a ground swell, and from there, who knows? (It's happend many many many times before - how do you think the pay increases were rescended?)

The board you speak of are political appointees. They were chosen because the people who chose them (Politicians) knew they could count on these people to vote the way the politicians want them too. If you don't think the members of the Gaming Commision are political, ask yourself, are they cashing their $145K a year checks? The most recnt appointee who replaced Conaboy is a college administrator, and he's keeping *both* jobs! That's great work if you can get it! You can bet he's not going to piss off the people who got him that job and kill his golden goose.

The important thing is for all of us to keep the focus on the OVERALL impact to the PITTSBURGH community of the various proposals. If we do that IoC wins! If we allow the politicians to move the issue to a Penguins or worse "Arena for Mario" issue, FC / Harrahs and Gov Rendell win (Which is a fancy way of saying, RATNER wins.) In that case PITTSBURGH loses.

And the sad thing about it is the people who really lose are the ones who need it most Rev. Simms constituancy on the Hill.

As far as I'm concerned, the Pens are the Icing on this process (no pun intended). As much as I love them, they are a fortunate beneficiary. But NOT the main objective. The main objectve is to advance the proposal which benefits all of Pittsburgh.

That's IoC.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Nicely said EPP

Postby rasbatch on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:51 am

I think it's often forgotten that where the development is needed is in the hill, SS will be fine on it's own.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,128
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:05 am
Location: morgantown WV

Postby bill from turtle creek on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:59 am

SportsFan wrote:UMMM.. No he had a house in Pittsburgh, but Southern California has always been his ome until now..

I remember him talking about this during a USC game a few seasons ago.


Spin it any way you like. He bought his current Sewickley house in 1992, and has paid taxes on it every year since then.

Since you seem like a Democratic sort, are you appalled that Hillary Clinton ran for Senator for NY state and never ever lived there? Or that Robert Kennedy did the same in the 60s?
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Serenity Now, Serenity Now.

Postby dboss on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:50 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Zscout wrote:For some reason the fog is so thick that the many a deer is getting slammed while staring into the high beams.
Swann has nothing to do with who gets the liscence. He can posture all he likes, but he has zero influence. Fast Eddy has some influence, but he is not so dumb to play sides (in public). A board will pick the liscensee, not the 11 politicians, and definitely not Swann or even worse, Santorum.
If a politician is backing any proposal, they are trying to illegally influence the process. They are the ones who are more likely to be greased by IOC than those staying neutral. That is why they set the process to be done by a board - to try to keep the politicians out of the selection process.
This has nothing to do with an arena. It has everything to do with a cash cow. It is a shame to know that poor western PA suckers will have to forfiet billions in gambling losses to fund an arena for the Penguins.


Zscout... with all due respect. Slots parlors in PA are a "DONE DEAL" fait accompli so to speak. It's happening. Ain't no going back.

Every PA citizen has some influence in the process if they want. Obviously some have much much more than others. But even you could have applied to speak at one of the local hearings... and if you had something unique and insightful to say, you'd stand a chance of the media (though probably not the post-gazette) publishing it, that could start a ground swell, and from there, who knows? (It's happend many many many times before - how do you think the pay increases were rescended?)

The board you speak of are political appointees. They were chosen because the people who chose them (Politicians) knew they could count on these people to vote the way the politicians want them too. If you don't think the members of the Gaming Commision are political, ask yourself, are they cashing their $145K a year checks? The most recnt appointee who replaced Conaboy is a college administrator, and he's keeping *both* jobs! That's great work if you can get it! You can bet he's not going to piss off the people who got him that job and kill his golden goose.

The important thing is for all of us to keep the focus on the OVERALL impact to the PITTSBURGH community of the various proposals. If we do that IoC wins! If we allow the politicians to move the issue to a Penguins or worse "Arena for Mario" issue, FC / Harrahs and Gov Rendell win (Which is a fancy way of saying, RATNER wins.) In that case PITTSBURGH loses.

And the sad thing about it is the people who really lose are the ones who need it most Rev. Simms constituancy on the Hill.

As far as I'm concerned, the Pens are the Icing on this process (no pun intended). As much as I love them, they are a fortunate beneficiary. But NOT the main objective. The main objectve is to advance the proposal which benefits all of Pittsburgh.

That's IoC.


Great post, EPP! Zscout, I guess you would rather those gambling $$$ to go towards the casinos in WV, Atlantic City, Canada, etc.? It does kinda make sense to help the taxpayers of those communities rather than our own. :roll:
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:33 am
Location: McCandless Twp, PA

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hugo Stiglitz and 15 guests

e-mail