UFAs out the wazoo--and the Pens have some spendin to do

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

UFAs out the wazoo--and the Pens have some spendin to do

Postby ville5 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:57 am

This is the list of players slated for UFA (as of Wednesday 29th) if they're not resigned by their current teams by July 1st. Glancing over the list, lots will be resigned by their teams. Anyway enjoy.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=160531&hubname=nhl
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:34 pm

Based on that list, and trying to remain realistic in my hopes, here would be my shortlist of targets:

SAH Dman (stay at home type):

1) Willie Mitchell (by far my favorite)
2) Jay McKee
3) Brian Pothier

3rd Line/PK:

1) Mike Sillinger (I know he's old, but he is a great defensive C, PK and faceoff guy - assuming we have Sid and Malkin as 1 & 2 at C)
2) Sean Donovan - speed and PK. Always liked him.
3) Fernando Pisani - big, strong, physical and scores a bit

Bargain bin offensive help:

1) David Vyborny
2) Petr Cajanek
3) Brad Isbister - still young enough to be a "late bloomer"

I really think that the team needs one solid Defensive Dman that can play 18 minutes/game. A 3rd line center that can take draws late in the game like Sillinger becomes huge.

I would love to see them grab a sniper as a FA, but the list of blue-chip scoring wingers is pretty limited to older guys like Selanne, and we saw how that went with Recchi and Palffy.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guido on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:34 pm

hmmm...Elias would be an interesting acquisition....

I'm with most people on getting Redden or Chara (although at least 1 of them will be resigned by Ottawa), but Ruslan Salei wouldn't be too bad either. (they have Tarnstrom listed as a 7th defensemen, currently with Pittsburgh? hopefully not foreshadowing a return....i really hope not...)

Goalie-wise, definitely need a strong backup (replacement for t-blow) to fleury or someone to split time with him....Legace, Gerber, or Huet would all be fine in my book, but I bet their clubs will resign them.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:41 pm

Guido wrote:hmmm...Elias would be an interesting acquisition....

I'm with most people on getting Redden or Chara (although at least 1 of them will be resigned by Ottawa), but Ruslan Salei wouldn't be too bad either. (they have Tarnstrom listed as a 7th defensemen, currently with Pittsburgh? hopefully not foreshadowing a return....i really hope not...)

Goalie-wise, definitely need a strong backup (replacement for t-blow) to fleury or someone to split time with him....Legace, Gerber, or Huet would all be fine in my book, but I bet their clubs will resign them.

Legace and Gerber will never sign where they will be behind Fluery. They are top winning NHL goalies right now, and will not move. Huet is going to be pursued hard by MTL, because I guarantee they don't want Aebischer as their starting goalie.

Salei would not be a terrible pick-up, but I'd still prefer Mitchell.

Wouldn't it be fun to re-unite Elias, Sykora and Arnott? It would cost plenty, but that would still be a top NHL line if they were back together.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Reilly on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Pavel Kubina
Reilly

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:44 pm

Reilly wrote:Pavel Kubina

He's never been a real big + player, even on the Cup champs. I like him, but I'd prefer a guy that is more defense-first than Kubina.

He is young, mean and a good skater though, so I would certainly not be too angry if they did sign him.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:54 pm

Here are the guys I would pursue, in no particular order:

FORWARDS

Jason Arnott, Dallas
Sergei Samsonov, Edmonton (probably too expensive)
Martin Straka, N.Y. Rangers (he'd be a nice fit and fairly cheap)
Jamie Langenbrunner, New Jersey (like his jam)
Matt Cullen, Carolina (good third line center)
Jeff Halpern, Washington (ditto, and wouldn't the Caps just love us?)
Mike Sillinger, Nashville (ditto)
David Vyborny, Columbus
Petr Cajanek, St. Louis
Dan Hinote, Colorado (more jam)
Shean Donovan, Calgary (a RH PK)
Jarkko Ruutu, Vancouver (why not, just to make sabu happy :lol: )

DEFENCE

Willie Mitchell, Dallas
Pavel Kubina, Tampa Bay
Joe Corvo, Los Angeles
Danny Markov, Nashville
Brian Pothier, Ottawa
Jay McKee, Buffalo
Ruslan Salei, Anaheim

GOAL

None. No good backups available.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Stoosh on Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:58 pm

Thanks for the list, Ville...

I'll pick up where I left off on another post about the Pens' approach to free agency. I think the best approach the Pens could take here is to go more for value than the big names. Big-name signings really didn't work out well for anyone this year. So I'm a little leary of that.

If I'm the Pens, I'm...

1. ...letting Chara and Redden find their $6-7 million per year deals elsewhere. This team is too far away from contention to be investing that kind of money and time in defensemen like that.

2. ...making a serious push for someone like Willie Mitchell, , Ruslan Salei, Kim Johnsson, Hal Gill or Jay McKee. You want to get a solid and reliable stay-at-home defenseman, but you don't want to the break the bank (a la Gonchar) to do it. These guys would be at the top of my list. For good measure, I may take a look at Spacek too. If they could come away with one of those guys, I'd be thrilled - especially Mitchell.

3. ...looking at a couple of dependable 5-6 guy like Cale Hulse or Sean Brown. I might even consider making Desjardins a solid one-year offer, too.

4. ...addressing my holes at forward (particularly wing) unless, of course, this is addressed by a deal at the draft (even if they pick Kessel, I don't think he's ready for the NHL next year).

IF they're going to make one big offer, I'd like to see them try to bring in someone like Samsonov or Elias. Both of those guys are young enough that they could be significant parts of the next three years of this club.

(And yes, I know...why spend money here and not on Redden or Chara, right? Redden or Chara are players you add to push you from playoff contender to Cup contender. We're not even playoff contenders. This organization desperately needs wingers who can dent the twine with some of these passes from Crosby and, God willing, Malkin. Signing a guy like Elias or Samsonov would push this club a lot closer to playoff contention than adding Chara or Redden would.)

If they can't get either of them (or even if they get one of them), I'm still primarily looking at adding impact for as much value as possible here. Guys like Langenbrunner and Petr Sykora might cost a little bit more, but they might be worth the extra cash. I'm definitely looking at guys like Alyn McCauley, Jeff Friesen, Martin Ruckinsky, Viktor Kozlov, and yes...Marty Straka. I'm also checking on adding a value guy like Grier, Dvorak, Kilger and LeClerc.
Last edited by Stoosh on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensfannn on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:00 pm

Offer 5 million to Chara if Ottawa doesn't resign him. If they do, offer 5 mil to Jovanovski.

Do anything possible to get the Russian Fed to sign a transfer agreement and get Malkin in camp. Anything! Even if we have to smuggle him in Gonchar's luggage when Sarge goes back for the offseason.

Take another chance on Morozov. He's leading the Russian Superleague in scoring. Bring him back!

Sign Sillinger as our 3rd line center. Huge vacancy here. (Christensen needs to be on a scoring line, Endicott is a 4th liner, Hilbert is a winger, Ryan Stone not yet ready)

Sign Georges Laraque, an A list, top shelf enforcer. Put all Crosby cheap-shots in the past!
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guido on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:03 pm

Hal Gill....I don't know, his slowness is a major liability in today's NHL.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jdev28 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:15 pm

The Snapshot wrote:Bargain bin offensive help:

1) David Vyborny
2) Petr Cajanek
3) Brad Isbister - still young enough to be a "late bloomer"

I definitely agree with Vyborny and Isbister. I don't know enough about Cajanek to have an opinion.

Vyborny is very underrated in my opinion.[/quote]
jdev28
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Peter on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:26 pm

I thought I heard somewhere recently that the Pens don't expect to do much in the offseason. Maybe Pittsburgh sports tonight or a pregame or something.
Peter

Postby jmh70 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:35 pm

Vyborny is a realistic target, but he's not much of a finisher. Right now I would put all my eggs in the Samsonov basket, so to speak. If Malkin is here next season Samsonov might be more inclined to join the Pens.

Kubina or Mitchell would provide a massive upgrade on the blueline. Danny Markov isn't a bad option either.
jmh70

Postby ville5 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:38 pm

Peter wrote:I thought I heard somewhere recently that the Pens don't expect to do much in the offseason. Maybe Pittsburgh sports tonight or a pregame or something.

They won't have a choice. Right now they're around $21 million payroll. The "floor" next season is projected to be between $29-$31 million. That means they're gonna have to spend $8 million or more to meet cap requirements.
Granted a nice chunk of that will go to resigning their own players, but they'd still need to spend a sizable amount.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:41 pm

jmh70 wrote:Vyborny is a realistic target, but he's not much of a finisher. Right now I would put all my eggs in the Samsonov basket, so to speak. If Malkin is here next season Samsonov might be more inclined to join the Pens.

Kubina or Mitchell would provide a massive upgrade on the blueline. Danny Markov isn't a bad option either.

I'm not too enthused about going after Samsonov. Sure he's young and can score like Mario in a Minnesota hotel. BUT for the price he'll command, he gets injured way too often. Very fragile. IMHO.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stoosh on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:43 pm

Hal Gill....I don't know, his slowness is a major liability in today's NHL.

Here's the way I looked at it, Guido. Barring a trade, this team will be coming back with Whitney, Gonchar and Welch in their top three. I'm assuming they're going to re-sign Brooks Oprik based on his strong second half. As it stands right now, the only mobile physical presence this club has on the blueline comes courtesy of Orpik and Welch. Unless you can ship him out west, I'll bring Orpik back because I sure as hell don't want to be playing against him somewhere between four and eight times next year.

I believe Scuderi, Melichar and Cairns are all under contract for next season. My preference would be to see Melichar leave in lieu of someone like Mitchell, Salei, etc. But I also think Melichar could be a very effective 5-6 guy if you have to bring him back, as long as he's paired with someone responsible.

That leaves Cairns, Scuderi and probably some combination of Lannon, Schneider, and Bissonnette as players within the organization to fight it out for those 6th and 7th spots. Scuderi, Lannon and Schneider might very well be interchangeable at the NHL level as far as I'm concerned. Bissonnette has the pedigree to someday crack a top-four spot. I don't see Lannon, Schneider or Scuderi ever becoming anything more than a 5-6 at this level.

That leaves Cairns to play the "big body" role in front, which is why I would bring Gill in. Gill might cost more money, but I think he's infinitely more talented than Cairns. And for all of his lack of speed, he's only been a -1 in 72 games on that Bruins squad that is not much better and probably more dysfunctional than this Pens team has been. I don't want to overrate +/- here too much, but I also love the fact that in his three years prior to the lockout, Gill was a combined +53, and never posted anything lower than a +16 in any of those three years.

I think adding a guy like that could help...if you';re looking for a stay-at-home defenseman to play in your 5-6 slot, bring in a real stay-at-home defenseman.

So if we came into next year with something like this:
Gonchar, Mitchell/Salei/etc., Whitney, Orpik, Welch, Gill, and Bissonnette/Scuderi/Lannon/Schneider as the top seven, I'd be awfully happy.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby borohcky9 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:51 pm

I would love to see Elias come here, if we were to spend big money on a big name. He is an elite winger, and if im not mistaken he used to play with Malkin during the lockout year.
borohcky9

Postby mepenstim on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:17 pm

Elias did play with Malkin last year but only for 17 games. He split time between Russia & Czech.

Sykora played 45 games with Malkin, their season is roughly 50 games. If the new GM gets a sense that Malkin liked him, bring Sykora in.

There is speculation that LeClair may hang 'em up after this year, which frees up a spot and some $. Let's hope so!
http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hoc ... dailyslate
[/url]
mepenstim

Postby Reilly on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:30 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

He's never been a real big + player, even on the Cup champs. I like him, but I'd prefer a guy that is more defense-first than Kubina.

You must not watch a lot of Tampa Bay games.
Reilly

Postby Fast B on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:56 pm

Reilly wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

I also remember a lot of games when Kubina would just drive Jagr out of his mind. He was one of the few players I've ever seen get under Jagr's skin. Maybe Hal Gill too.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:58 pm

Kubina would be great. Another defenseman I like is Karlis Skrastins.

At forward, Im a huge Samsonov fan, so I'd love to see him persued. I think Alyn McCauley is kind of underrated and would make for a good pickup.
MrKnowNothing

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:20 pm

Reilly wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

Uh, I think you ought to tune in a little more. He was one season as a plus in his entire career. He is -95 over that time.

He is good, and has upside, but he is not a true defensive defenseman.

Mitchell - +32 for his career
McKee - +43
Pothier - +32
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MrKnowNothing on Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:52 pm

I don't follow your argument. You said for him to tune in more, and then proceeded to list off some stats. I'm not trying to dispute what you are saying (which I am not exactly sure of), but that argument holds very little water how you are framing it.
MrKnowNothing

Postby Mango Salsa on Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:21 pm

The main thing I'd like to see is an above average veteran defenseman to come in & work with our young guys & play on the #1 unit.

After that a couple finishers to play alongside Sid & Malkin (keeping fingers crossed).

Last but certainly not least I'd like them to snatch Rangers goalie coach Benoit Allaire to come in & work with Marc Andre

http://www.newyorkrangers.com/team/fron ... asp?ID=120
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:49 pm

MrKnowNothing wrote:I don't follow your argument. You said for him to tune in more, and then proceeded to list off some stats. I'm not trying to dispute what you are saying (which I am not exactly sure of), but that argument holds very little water how you are framing it.

Here's the argument. I prefer Mitchell, Mckee or Pothier over Kubina. Each of them should command less than Kubina as well (Mitchell may get similar money though).

I pointed out that my three guys are a combined +107 for their careers versus Kubina being -95 all by himself.

I started out saying I didn't think Kubina was a "defense first" defenseman, as these terrible +/- numbers indicate, especially because he has ONLY one season as a + player in his career. He said I don't watch enough TB games, which he is dead wrong on. I watch Kubina, and he wants to play all over the ice, to his detriment.

What don't you understand? Was it because I used the dashes in front of their +/- numbers?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins