Will they stay or will they go??

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Will they stay or will they go??

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:28 pm

Can't wait to hear what the Penguins think of Randell's plan. 3 million/year in rent after very little in intitiial costs should'nt make them freak out even if it isn't as good as the Pittsburgh First plan.

It is a sound contingency plan as far as I can tell. However, it does'nt matter what we think about it, it matters what Sawyer and the rest of the owners think about it.

What will they say? What CAN they say, consdiering the IOC agreement that is acting as a gag order. Needless to say, we will have to read between the lines alittle bit to see if the Pens want to stay if they lose.
NIN

Postby Stoosh on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:49 pm

If this Plan B can still get an arena built along the same time frame that the IoC plan could, I'm hoping they wouldn't have a problem with it.

My biggest concern all along with this - my "worst-case scenario", if you will - would be that some group other than IoC wins the license and the Pens still decide to leave even in the presence of an alternate plan that might be good but not as great as the IoC plan. And this Plan B that Rendell proposed today may be just that...good but not as great as the IoC deal. It seems to require a contribution from the team that they wouldn't have had to make otherwise, but on its face, I'm not sure any ownership group would find this to be an egregious contribution as it's spread out over a long period of time. I'd be interesting to see how this would stack up against arena deals in other cities.

I hate to say it, but if that still happens, I'll lose a ton of respect for this organization.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:55 pm

Stoosh wrote:If this Plan B can still get an arena built along the same time frame that the IoC plan could, I'm hoping they wouldn't have a problem with it.

My biggest concern all along with this - my "worst-case scenario", if you will - would be that some group other than IoC wins the license and the Pens still decide to leave even in the presence of an alternate plan that might be good but not as great as the IoC plan. And this Plan B that Rendell proposed today may be just that...good but not as great as the IoC deal. It seems to require a contribution from the team that they wouldn't have had to make otherwise, but on its face, I'm not sure any ownership group would find this to be an egregious contribution as it's spread out over a long period of time. I'd be interesting to see how this would stack up against arena deals in other cities.

I hate to say it, but if that still happens, I'll lose a ton of respect for this organization.

I believe that the amount of money that the Pens are putting forward approx 3 million a year(not counting the 8.5 mil up front) is what they had agreed to do in the past when talks of a new arena had surfaced.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:05 pm

I doubt this will happen because of the IOC partnership, but if they say go ahead, build the arena, but we will stick to our plan until the slots are awarded, and they agree to stay no matter what, I'm getting sh*tfaced tonight.

But there is only a 1% chance of that happening.

The Pens will come out and say, "we have the best plan and we are sticking to it, we will visit this proposal at another time."
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:13 pm

newarenanow wrote:I doubt this will happen because of the IOC partnership, but if they say go ahead, build the arena, but we will stick to our plan until the slots are awarded, and they agree to stay no matter what, I'm getting sh*tfaced tonight.

But there is only a 1% chance of that happening.

The Pens will come out and say, "we have the best plan and we are sticking to it, we will visit this proposal at another time."

The Pens can't say anything at this point. Even if they wanted to say ok go ahead with "plan B"...they are bound to IOC at this point until the slot's are decided.

Rendell can go to the NHL directly himself and present the plan, but the Pens have to keep hush hush for the time being.

Plan "B" won't even get looked at till probably around Dec or so after the slots are decided.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby newarenanow on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:34 pm

The Pens were supposed to have a news conference in response to the plan at 2:00. Anyone hear anything.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DrBoni on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:49 pm

The less the Pens say in response, then the more the Pens FO think that this plan B is realistic.

The Pens can't negotiate a plan B with Rendell, but if they come out to the media and say what parts of the deal would be problematic then they're basically telling Rendell, Oranato and O'Connor to go back to the drawing board. If they say "We still feel that the Pittsburgh First plan along with IOC is the best for the city of Pittsburgh," then it's safe to assume Sawyer and Co are considering how that deal could possibly work.
DrBoni
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:16 pm

DrBoni wrote:The less the Pens say in response, then the more the Pens FO think that this plan B is realistic.

The Pens can't negotiate a plan B with Rendell, but if they come out to the media and say what parts of the deal would be problematic then they're basically telling Rendell, Oranato and O'Connor to go back to the drawing board. If they say "We still feel that the Pittsburgh First plan along with IOC is the best for the city of Pittsburgh," then it's safe to assume Sawyer and Co are considering how that deal could possibly work.

Now that is top of the line, reading between the lines. :o

I heard they are going to take a couple of weeks and go through every detail with a fine tooth comb. I hope and pary they like it enough to allow it to happen if they lose. If not, I dont think the Democrats will retool it. Maybe tweak it alittle, but thats it.
NIN

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins