Who the Pens should draft with their second pick

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who the Pens should draft with their second pick

Postby Reilly on Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:53 pm

In the latest hockey news, they have an article towards the back on a player called Joey Ryan. He's ranked #31 by the ISS. He's 6'2, 197. Plays defense.

He plays for the Quebec Ramparts and lived with Patrick Roy (owner) during his career there so far. Roy said of him "He reminds me a bit of Adam Foote, he's very physical, very aggressiveout there. He makes a pretty good first pass out of his own zone and plays very well defensively."

-----------------------------------

Hockeys Future posted this on him 3 months ago.

Joey Ryan - Quebec Remparts (Team Cherry)
Height: 6'2, Weight: 197 lbs., CSR: 18 (Skaters)

The third-year American-born defenseman for Patrick Roy's Remparts has been a key component of their blue line this season, as has been the case in past years. He will not post amazing offensive totals, though he does serve as a valuable member of the Remparts power play. Playing with other talented defensemen for Quebec, Ryan's offensive skills have not been relied upon so heavily. This has allowed him to strengthen his play in his own end. Accompanying this increased defensive awareness is a willingness to throw heavy hits on a regular basis, and drop his gloves to defend his teammates if need be.

---------------------------------

Here's a great article on him.

http://www2.townonline.com/malden/schoo ... at=&page=1

To me, he seems like he'll go late in the first round. Granted, I haven't seen him play ever, but he's intriguing. I think the Pens have enough B level prospects/players that they could probably package their second rounder with another player and move up into the late 1st round and grab him.

Your thoughts?
Reilly

Postby NIN on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:13 pm

I think that is just the player they should make a move for. Trading up to get a player like that would really help.

Also, while I can't provide any informative links (as usual) or even some basic statistics. I think Jordan Staal is going to be a heck of a hockey player. I read a great SI article about him and his 3 brothers and I really beleive this kid has the heart, work ethic, and the genes to be a can't miss player in the NHL. He is 6'4" and plays center but could be converter to wing.

The most interesting thing to me is that he probably wont go until the 4th or 5th selcetion. If the Pens have the #1 pick and traded down to 5 to pick him they would not only gain the best player in the draft (IMHO) but could also acquire a young NHL ready prospect or package other players for even a better and better prospect.
NIN

Postby borohcky9 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:27 pm

NIN wrote:I think that is just the player they should make a move for. Trading up to get a player like that would really help.

Also, while I can't provide any informative links (as usual) or even some basic statistics. I think Jordan Staal is going to be a heck of a hockey player. I read a great SI article about him and his 3 brothers and I really beleive this kid has the heart, work ethic, and the genes to be a can't miss player in the NHL. He is 6'4" and plays center but could be converter to wing.

The most interesting thing to me is that he probably wont go until the 4th or 5th selcetion. If the Pens have the #1 pick and traded down to 5 to pick him they would not only gain the best player in the draft (IMHO) but could also acquire a young NHL ready prospect or package other players for even a better and better prospect.

I actually couldnt be agree with you more. If we could trade the #1st pick to say Columbus for a good young prospect, and pick up Staal...i would consider that an ideal situation.
borohcky9

Postby DelPen on Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:35 pm

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=73289

HE'S A RIGHTY!!! If this kid is there at #32 then take him. He'll be 19 by the time thre AHL season starts (Oct. 19 bday) so hopefully he could play there. He already has 3 QMJHL seasons under his belt as well.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:22 am

I want the Pens to take Claude Giroux with their 2nd round pick. He is a amazing little player for Gatineau in the Q. I saw him play earlier this year and he was very willing to play in traffic without fear of contact, out-skated everybody on the ice, had a great shot, and outworked everybody on the ice. He's a bit on the small side, but would give the Pens a legitimate scoring prospect @ RW that also has the creativity to set up Crosby and/or Malkin.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mosby on Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:06 pm

Out of curiosity, for those who have the draft services from Redline, ISS, etc….

Where is Cal Clutterbuck ranked? The kid is this years Steve Downie.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:58 pm

Mosby wrote:Out of curiosity, for those who have the draft services from Redline, ISS, etc….

Where is Cal Clutterbuck ranked? The kid is this years Steve Downie.

Clutterbuck isn't in the March 06 RLR Top 50. The full fan preview doesn't come out until June.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shinoix on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:17 am

I would love to see the Pens draft Staal. He's from my town, and I'd then have a great connection to the Pens!!

...I'm sure everyone has heard of the Staal's backyard rink, if you've done any reading on them, or seen any stories on tv...I've skated on it many times. I know the family and i'm pretty good friends with their cousin, who is also their neighbour.

They run a Sod farm together...and hence the reason they live next to each other.

Jared is still playing here in Thunder Bay, and every coach says that he's way ahead at his age, compared to Jordan and Eric. But let's not forget about the defenseman of the group of brothers... Marc Staal (NYR)..he was unreal at the World Juniors, and that's why he was selected defenseman of the tourny.

What a family...Staal is a can't miss pick, we'd be stupid not to take him. Take the best player available, and I think it's going to be Staal.
Shinoix

Postby Reilly on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:56 am

Shinoix wrote:Take the best player available...

Kessel it is!
Reilly

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins