Rendell and Swann on The Ellis Cannon Show

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Rendell and Swann on The Ellis Cannon Show

Postby Goalie on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:49 pm

First off kudos to Cannon for being fair about the whole issue and presenting both sides of the issue, it has allowed him to get interviews from both sides and present all the information.

I did not to get to hear all of the Swann interview but Cannon played devil's advocate and the responses I heard from Swann were solid and well thought out. He hammered home the point that Plan B is not a guarantee. Its not a contract, it could be a lot of smoke and mirrors and reinforced the positives of the IOC plan. He also made it more of than a Penguins issue by pointing out how it will help develop the surrounding area around the arena.

Rendell was late for his interview. Now I think its bad from to be late for an interview on such an important topic but he had a lot going on today I am sure so its possible he just ran behind on time. A cynic would say that he was late because he wanted to avoid as many questions as possible.

He said two things that stood out to me. First was that he can have no contact with any members of the parties applying for a liscense and that is why Onorato went to the other two candidates and asked for their "voluntary" contribution. He also noted that he could decide to give the $90 million to the Penguins for an arena but Onorato and O'Connor did not want the money to be used for that as it would not allow them to fund any other projects.
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Rendell and Swann on The Ellis Cannon Show

Postby SportsFan on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:45 pm

Goalie wrote:Rendell was late for his interview. Now I think its bad from to be late for an interview on such an important topic but he had a lot going on today I am sure so its possible he just ran behind on time. A cynic would say that he was late because he wanted to avoid as many questions as possible.

Key Issue?Key Issue here, but do you think Central and Eastern PA cares who gets the slot license in Pittsburgh?

Rendell has more important things to do then do interviews on every Pittsburgh radio station. He was on Honsberger's and Marty Griffin yesterday, and now today Jeff Hathorne and Cannon's.
SportsFan

Postby skullman80 on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:45 pm

SportsFan wrote:
Goalie wrote:Rendell was late for his interview. Now I think its bad from to be late for an interview on such an important topic but he had a lot going on today I am sure so its possible he just ran behind on time. A cynic would say that he was late because he wanted to avoid as many questions as possible.

Key Issue?Key Issue here, but do you think Central and Eastern PA cares who gets the slot license in Pittsburgh?

Rendell has more important things to do then do interviews on every Pittsburgh radio station. He was on Honsberger's and Marty Griffin yesterday, and now today Jeff Hathorne and Cannon's.

Are you here just to stir the pot? That's what it seems.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Goalie on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:10 am

SportsFan wrote:

Slot liscenses are being handed out all over the state, I would think that any issue about how they are handed out or money being used from slot revenue is a big issue. Especially now when he is talking about using $7 million per year over 30 years from the Gaming Economic Development and Tourism fund to build the arena when that money could be used elsewhere with an arena already paid for up front. $210 million over 30 years is a significant amount of money that affects the whole state.

But hey, why would he show up on time to talk about that?
Goalie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:15 am

Did Rendell say if the $2.9M annual Pens contribution is in lieu of or in addition to the $3M annual lease payment to the SEA per the IoC proposal? If Rendell's contribution is in essence a lease payment the Pens are only paying $1.1M more annually under his plan than the IoC plan. Assuming they get full control of all revenue streams in both proposals it seems like a very lucrative backup plan.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins