Conflicting Info on Rendell's Insurance Plan?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Conflicting Info on Rendell's Insurance Plan?

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:32 am

I cannot find it, but I could have sworn I read or heard that a local official (Onorato?) had received verbal agreements from the other two applicants to go along with Rendell's plan.

This PG article contains a quote that would seem to dispute that:

Neither of Isle of Capri's competitors for the city's casino agreed to a $7.5 million annual arena payment.

"When [the Penguins] make a commitment to fund the arena with this plan, we will sit down with the public officials and determine how we can participate," said Abe Naparstek, development director for Forest City Enterprises, which is teaming with Harrah's Entertainment on a casino proposal. "It's too early to speculate on a number" they would contribute, he said.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,329
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:39 am

I caught that too. From somewhere yesterday Onorato is the one who said he'd had the agreement with the other slots applicants to fork over their share, so he's the one who should address this point.

Rendell is going to be on Savran's show today, so hopefully word of this will get to Stan and he'll bring it up.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Serenity Now, Serenity Now.

Re: Conflicting Info on Rendell's Insurance Plan?

Postby ville5 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:49 am

netwolf wrote:I cannot find it, but I could have sworn I read or heard that a local official (Onorato?) had received verbal agreements from the other two applicants to go along with Rendell's plan.

This PG article contains a quote that would seem to dispute that:

Neither of Isle of Capri's competitors for the city's casino agreed to a $7.5 million annual arena payment.

"When [the Penguins] make a commitment to fund the arena with this plan, we will sit down with the public officials and determine how we can participate," said Abe Naparstek, development director for Forest City Enterprises, which is teaming with Harrah's Entertainment on a casino proposal. "It's too early to speculate on a number" they would contribute, he said.

Here is the article about Onorato's verbal agreement. 12th paragraph down.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06089/678121-100.stm
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,414
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Postby Racer17 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:23 am

bill from turtle creek wrote:Rendell is going to be on Savran's show today, so hopefully word of this will get to Stan and he'll bring it up.



Hi Stan,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could ask Mr. Rendell why he feels it is "a bad idea for elected officials to be endorsing any application for a gaming license."

Given 29 politicians have gotten behind the IOC plan, I would like to know why he feels the elected officials of the region acting on the will of the people should not voice their opinion. Perhaps it is because the plan that contributed to his campaign is not winning the battle of political opinion.

Thank you.
Racer17
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 480
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: Brentwood, PA

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:33 am

Racer17 wrote:
bill from turtle creek wrote:Rendell is going to be on Savran's show today, so hopefully word of this will get to Stan and he'll bring it up.



Hi Stan,

I would greatly appreciate it if you could ask Mr. Rendell why he feels it is "a bad idea for elected officials to be endorsing any application for a gaming license."

Given 29 politicians have gotten behind the IOC plan, I would like to know why he feels the elected officials of the region acting on the will of the people should not voice their opinion. Perhaps it is because the plan that contributed to his campaign is not winning the battle of political opinion.

Thank you.


Well, *I* personally inderstand how the Gov. can't back a particular plan. After all, to do so would indicate that his appointees should vote for a particular plan.

And that doesn't even address any "Nod Nod wink wink" back room deals.

However, The mayor and County politicians have no such conflict.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Conflicting Info on Rendell's Insurance Plan?

Postby The Snapshot on Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:48 am

netwolf wrote:I cannot find it, but I could have sworn I read or heard that a local official (Onorato?) had received verbal agreements from the other two applicants to go along with Rendell's plan.

This PG article contains a quote that would seem to dispute that:

Neither of Isle of Capri's competitors for the city's casino agreed to a $7.5 million annual arena payment.

"When [the Penguins] make a commitment to fund the arena with this plan, we will sit down with the public officials and determine how we can participate," said Abe Naparstek, development director for Forest City Enterprises, which is teaming with Harrah's Entertainment on a casino proposal. "It's too early to speculate on a number" they would contribute, he said.


I think that this entire "Plan B" is a political football that Rendell has concocted to pull his neck out of the Pens' noose.

Interesting that "Honest Abe" from the Forrest City group almost immediately throws the Pens under the bus saying that it is now up to them to show the city that they want to stay by taking the team off the market.

This plan may hold water, but what it appears to be to me is a salvo from Rendell that will allow him to say that the Pens are being spoiled brats if they come out and say it won't work. If and when they do, his office will respond that the Pens don't want to invest in then city by paying an upfront sum for their future here.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,212
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Postby bill from turtle creek on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:08 pm

I actually look at Abe's response from the other side. The Gaming Board will be very aware of the arena issue when it comes to the license. Rendell has given FC a way out of that controversy with a Plan B that if adopted in the background will essentially remove the arena as a pressure point. FC, if they refuse to play along, may well shoot themselves in the foot on this. It's almost like Rendell is trying to remove obstacles in the way of FC, and they won't take the gift, all so they can save a few bucks.
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,686
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Serenity Now, Serenity Now.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:53 pm

The difference is... he now has a new revenue stream in the slots...

That wasn't there before.

Leave it to politicians though... they spend the damn money long before they ever get it.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cedar Penn, DelPen, Hugo Stiglitz, Humperdink, Pens15, topshelf66 and 34 guests

e-mail