Swann is such a genius!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Swann is such a genius!

Postby Zscout on Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:08 am

Mr. Swann, who endorsed the Isle of Capri proposal Wednesday, criticized the fact that Mr. Rendell's plan would rely on slots revenue -- which he called "taxpayer dollars" -- that could be available to other purposes.

The plan "means taxpayers will continue paying for a new arena until the year 2037 -- despite the private sector's willingness to make the same investment at no cost to taxpayers," Mr. Swann said in a statement.


You are so right Mr. Swann, IOC has a magic pot of money that will come from a magic source that will build the arena.
Using this numbskulls logic, the Penguins salary comes from ticket revenue that is also "taxplayer dollars". Maybe he can find a magic pot of money that will pay those salaries.
No matter what plan is used, the "taxpayers" will be the ones carrying the burden for the development of a new arena, just to enhance the revenue stream for the Penguins.
Zscout
 

Re: Swann is such a genius!

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:19 am

Zscout wrote:
Mr. Swann, who endorsed the Isle of Capri proposal Wednesday, criticized the fact that Mr. Rendell's plan would rely on slots revenue -- which he called "taxpayer dollars" -- that could be available to other purposes.

The plan "means taxpayers will continue paying for a new arena until the year 2037 -- despite the private sector's willingness to make the same investment at no cost to taxpayers," Mr. Swann said in a statement.


You are so right Mr. Swann, IOC has a magic pot of money that will come from a magic source that will build the arena.
Using this numbskulls logic, the Penguins salary comes from ticket revenue that is also "taxplayer dollars". Maybe he can find a magic pot of money that will pay those salaries.
No matter what plan is used, the "taxpayers" will be the ones carrying the burden for the development of a new arena, just to enhance the revenue stream for the Penguins.


Zscout.... Puhleeeezze

How is paying for a new Arena out of the profits of a slots parlor - how is that a TAX PAYER funded plan?

Someone around here is a 'numbskull' but it ain't Swanee (Not on this issue anyway)

As Dboss pointed out to me in another thread yesterday (And thanks for setting me straight Dboss) Rendells plan redirects existing tax revenue to an Arena. That diverts funds (Tax dollars) that could be used for other purposes like Schools, community centers, day care, the convention center, etc...

IoC's plan, on the other hand, uses some of their PROFITS to COMPLETELY fund an arena. NO TAX MONEY.

If FC/Harrahs wins, those same profits end up in Ratners Cleveland bank account.

Sometimes it scares me that even after we've beat this issue to deah on this board, when we've addressed point after point after point. That some people are still totally oblivious.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Swann is such a genius!

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:35 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Zscout wrote:
Mr. Swann, who endorsed the Isle of Capri proposal Wednesday, criticized the fact that Mr. Rendell's plan would rely on slots revenue -- which he called "taxpayer dollars" -- that could be available to other purposes.

The plan "means taxpayers will continue paying for a new arena until the year 2037 -- despite the private sector's willingness to make the same investment at no cost to taxpayers," Mr. Swann said in a statement.


You are so right Mr. Swann, IOC has a magic pot of money that will come from a magic source that will build the arena.
Using this numbskulls logic, the Penguins salary comes from ticket revenue that is also "taxplayer dollars". Maybe he can find a magic pot of money that will pay those salaries.
No matter what plan is used, the "taxpayers" will be the ones carrying the burden for the development of a new arena, just to enhance the revenue stream for the Penguins.


Zscout.... Puhleeeezze

How is paying for a new Arena out of the profits of a slots parlor - how is that a TAX PAYER funded plan?

Someone around here is a 'numbskull' but it ain't Swanee (Not on this issue anyway)

As Dboss pointed out to me in another thread yesterday (And thanks for setting me straight Dboss) Rendells plan redirects existing tax revenue to an Arena. That diverts funds (Tax dollars) that could be used for other purposes like Schools, community centers, day care, the convention center, etc...

IoC's plan, on the other hand, uses some of their PROFITS to COMPLETELY fund an arena. NO TAX MONEY.

If FC/Harrahs wins, those same profits end up in Ratners Cleveland bank account.

Sometimes it scares me that even after we've beat this issue to deah on this board, when we've addressed point after point after point. That some people are still totally oblivious.
:roll: :roll: :roll:


That and the Hill District developement plan are why Pittsburgh First remains the best plan. There is nothing to fear from a back up plan at this point. Poeple are so paranoid that accepting a backup plan means Forrest city will win. They could but at least we get to keep the team, right? I mean, it's about keeping the team here isnt it?
NIN
 

Postby Ron` on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:42 am

I think his point is likely that the public still funds it via casino gambling revenue. But that is money JQ Public chooses to lose. If that's not his point, I'm confused too.

Big difference between mandated tax dollars taken from the public and casual spending money blown in the casino.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,017
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:58 pm
Location: Central PA

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:53 am

NIN, I don't think it's fear of accepting a backup plan. At least not for me.
If I have to take the backup plan, well it's better than no backup plan. But it's still NO WHERE near as good as IoC's plan.

And I have to be completely honest here. It's not about the Pens for me. The Pens are one of the things I love about Pittsburgh. I want then to stay and be successful sure, but to me the best thing about the Pens is that they're the PITTSBURGH Penguins. They represent the city I love. The city that will always have a special place in my heart.

I guess for me it's a bit different than many posters, although some can relate (anyone who's left the 'Burgh to find economic success like I have.. RJ, Ginger, MCM, and the rest), but I'd rather still be in Pittsburgh, it's stupid political mistakes which destroyed the once thriving economy which forced me to leave.

Think about it, in 1982, AFTER the mills had mostly closed, Pittsburgh had the THIRD largest number of Fortune 500 companies HQ'd here.

Rockwell, Westinghouse, Gulf Oil, CNG, Mellon Bank, USS, Dravo... I could keep going...

I want to see Pittsburgh thrive and prosper again, so my son (Who still lives with my Ex in Pittsburgh) won't have to leave like I did.

I'm a hockey fan, and always will be. But I'm a Pittsburgh fan first and foremost.
Last edited by ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:56 am

Ron` wrote:I think his point is likely that the public still funds it via casino gambling revenue. But that is money JQ Public chooses to lose. If that's not his point, I'm confused too.

Big difference between mandated tax dollars taken from the public and casual spending money blown in the casino.


Yeah Ron' I kind of figured that was what he was insinuating but even that is a 'Straw Man' argument. I mean, doesn't *someone* have to pay for everything? You could use that logic to say that the public pays for everything... it just makes no sense.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,719
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Stoosh on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:56 am

Let's not forget this either...

If IoC wins the license, they are under contractual obligation to make available the entire $290 million for the arena project within 90 days of the awarding of the license. So in essence, the funding for the arena is coming more out of the pockets of IoC and will then be reimbursed to them through the slots revenues once the casino is built.

I never understood this point of view (and I'm not sure if this is what ZScout is trying to say)...I've heard people argue that the arena is still being funded by public money because at its most basic level, the slots revenue is generated from people spending their income on the slots machines. Hence, "public money". If that's the case, isn't every sports team and stadium funded by "public" money? How about the McDonald's down the street from me?
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,439
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:19 am
Location: Aliquippa, PA

Re: Swann is such a genius!

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:50 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:IoC's plan, on the other hand, uses some of their PROFITS to COMPLETELY fund an arena. NO TAX MONEY.

You forget to mention that IoC will front the money within 90 days of securing the license. Meaning, they will be paying for the arena out of thier pocket before ever receiving a dime of Pennsylvania money for the project. Some people really are clueless on this subject. I think Zscout has an axe to grind somewhere. He knocks every plan that comes along.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,067
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Postby Pitts on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:52 am

Sorry Stoosh, I didn't see your reply. Looks like we share the same thought! :D
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,067
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Admin, Antonio, Cedar Penn, Cu11en, lemieuxReturns, Pens Fan Since 1970, silentom, skullman80, Steve, WHITEY1, Wyopen and 41 guests

e-mail