Does anyone have NHL Center Ice on Dish?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Does anyone have NHL Center Ice on Dish?

Postby Admin on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:07 pm

I was just looking through the Dish network listings at http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/prog ... ndex.shtml and it appears that Dish shows multiple feeds of the same game (Pens vs the Isles as just one example). Is this true?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:11 pm

Not sure how Dish works, as I have digital cable.

On the digital, if multpile regions get the same feed, sometimes it will show up twice, but that's rare. Happens mostly with the Fox Sports ones, where a region might see multiple FSN channels, and they pick it up for whatever reason.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:11 pm

Maybe... what's it worth to you???

Yes, they do. Not all of them though. I would say that about 75% of the games have the feeds from both teams.

So if you are watching LA vs. Nashville you typically can watch either the Kings feed or the Preds.... or both if you flip really fast. HOWEVER, both feeds for Pens games are blacked out for me.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:14 pm

Sorry, thought you were referring to the same feed showing multiple times. This does happen, but it is rare.

The majority of the time, both team's broadcasts are available for the same game.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Admin on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:16 pm

Vanbiesbrouck wrote:Sorry, thought you were referring to the same feed showing multiple times. This does happen, but it is rare.

The majority of the time, both team's broadcasts are available for the same game.

What cable company do you have? Comcast digital cable and DirecTV pick up one feed per game.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:17 pm

Jim wrote:Yes, they do. Not all of them though. I would say that about 75% of the games have the feeds from both teams.

Interesting. Thanks.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:17 pm

Actually... this is how I found out that the Fox Sports News people between periods are not Pittsburgh based. Even thought they talk about the Steelers, Pirates, Pitt Panthers, etc... I was watching a St Louis game and left the reak on instead of switching to another game. There were Treny Kusnerek and whatever his name is "From Downtown St. Louis" with a picture of the Arch behind them where the picture of Pittsburgh usually is. They just wen off into talking about all the local St Louis teams. It was a hit, but I survived!
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:29 pm

Look into Time Warner cable.

Being able to switch between Mike Lange and the french Habs broadcast for the same game is priceless.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:45 pm

Admin wrote:
Vanbiesbrouck wrote:Sorry, thought you were referring to the same feed showing multiple times. This does happen, but it is rare.

What cable company do you have? Comcast digital cable and DirecTV pick up one feed per game.

True, but...

The DirecTV directory usually shows both listings, but you can only watch whichever feed Center Ice carries. The other one gets blacked out. It tends to be the home team's feed, but not always.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:50 pm

With DishNetwork, if it's listed you can watch it. Save for the Pens games...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mad City Mike on Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:20 pm

Jim wrote:With DishNetwork, if it's listed you can watch it. Save for the Pens games...

Man, I'm going to have to switch then. If that means I can tune out Lange and Errey on a regular basis, this is a no-brainer. I hear they might be offering free HD DVRS too.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:29 pm

The do have HD DVRs. Are you near Pittsburgh? If so they black out Pens games...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Does anyone have NHL Center Ice on Dish?

Postby Draftnik on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:19 am

Admin wrote:I was just looking through the Dish network listings at http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/prog ... ndex.shtml and it appears that Dish shows multiple feeds of the same game (Pens vs the Isles as just one example). Is this true?

Primestar used to offer multiple feeds of many NHL games. Since Dish (and DirecTV) already have most US RSNs uploaded full time on their satellites it doesn't take any additional bandwidth for them to include the broadcasts in the CI package. All they do is mirror the RSN signal to the CI channel so they don't need additional capacity. If you notice the schedule they don't have multiple feeds of games involving Canadian teams because that would involve adding capacity and creating a fiber link to upload the Canadian RSN signal.

I never thought to ask DirecTV why they don't do this. They blackout the RSN signal in Sportspak that they aren't using for CI. I assume the NHL makes them do this but that is only a guess.

Since cable doesn't have anything approaching Sportspak it would be costly and impractical for them to show signals from multiple RSNs.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Draftnik wrote:I never thought to ask DirecTV why they don't do this. They blackout the RSN signal in Sportspak that they aren't using for CI. I assume the NHL makes them do this but that is only a guess.

I just thought it was odd that Dish carries multiple feeds while DirecTV and digital cable (with the apparent exception of Time Warner) don't.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Draftnik on Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:00 pm

Admin wrote:I just thought it was odd that Dish carries multiple feeds while DirecTV and digital cable (with the apparent exception of Time Warner) don't.

No. For example the Pens game last night was on FSPit (D* 628) and also may have been on MSG or FSNY. Since the NYI were the home team D* would use their broadcast for CI. They blackout 628 to all markets besides Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh area can't watch the Pens game on the 764-775 CI channels since it is the NYI broadcast. D* did not need to add additional capacity to show both broadcasts in CI. They already had both signals uploaded to their satellites so all they would have to do is mirror them into CI. Most CI broadcasts are mirrored off of the US RSNs in the 620-670 range, but D* always blacks out the visiting team feed in the Sportspak to all markets but that local market.

I don't think cable offers most US RSNs to their customers in a Sportspak, so that is why it would be very impractical for them to show both feeds.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Admin on Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Draftnik wrote:They already had both signals uploaded to their satellites so all they would have to do is mirror them into CI.

Right, but why is Dish showing home and away feeds while DirecTV isn't?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Draftnik on Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:17 pm

Admin wrote:
Draftnik wrote:They already had both signals uploaded to their satellites so all they would have to do is mirror them into CI.

Right, but why is Dish showing home and away feeds while DirecTV isn't?

It probably is based on the contractual terms of their deal with the NHL. DirecTV is the premium satellite provider for sports fans by a wide margin, so I'd guess this isn't a feature customers requested. I know they were very responsive ~ 6 years ago to get CBC's HNIC broadcast into CI and also get as many TSN and Sportsnet broadcasts into the package as well.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins