Best effort of the season

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Best effort of the season

Postby cs6687 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:23 pm

Power play was solid after sluggish start. Penalty kill was excellent, as was Caron. Islanders quit after falling behind, and packed it up after the failed penalty shot. Good effort, 'guins!
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Best effort of the season

Postby NIN on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:25 pm

cs6687 wrote:Power play was solid after sluggish start. Penalty kill was excellent, as was Caron. Islanders quit after falling behind, and packed it up after the failed penalty shot. Good effort, 'guins!

Dude, that Islander team was beaten before they stepped onto the ice. That franchise HAS issues. Commin from a Pittsburgh Penguin fan THAT IS BAD :lol: .

The best effort of the season was the 2-1 loss to Calagry. That goal that never happened cost the team but they played hard the whole game vs. a vastly superior team and system. They deserved better that game.
NIN

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:27 pm

The Pens did what they had to to win, but could have easily been beaten had the Isles got a bounce in the first period.

It was sloppy both ways, we just got them jump on them with the 2 goals.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shinoix on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:30 pm

I agree, a pretty darn good game.

Wow, Koltsov with no visor = a bit better! However, my 10 year old cousin STILL has better hands! Actually, who has worse hands, Koltsov or Endicott?

The second line played great tonight! LeClair, Malone and Koltsov got a lot of ice, and well deserved! If LeClair played like he's been playing lately, i'd gladly welcome him back next year. He even looked like he was having fun tonight! Make him a 3rd liner, with PP duties next year if he can continue.

Hilbert can really fire the puck, he needs to shoot more!

Crosby was great again tonight, what vision, what passes!

I really think Nordgren deserves a chance on the 3rd line. I really like his play when he's out there. He looks like Malone, but he's WAY faster, with quicker feet, and he's pretty damn strong too. He needs to be given a shot with someone other than Endicott. Endicott could make Gretzky look bad!!

The D was pretty decent tonight and I have to agree with the Isles announcers, Orpik played really well.

Ouellet had a few nice plays, but still needs to be playing with a playmaker to be effective. Surovy on the other hand is really losing it.

Slowly but surely we're seeing the maturity of our younger players, or new players to the NHL level. Orpik, Whitney, and Scuderi are looking more confident on the ice, when compared to earlier in the season. Malone is starting to look more like Malone, Koltsov is slowly coming around where he's actually doing something out there, and Armstrong is just playing like Colby! I really like this kid and I think he's going to be a special player for us in a few years.
Shinoix

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:50 pm

The difference is that Koltsov can still be an effective NHL player if his hands never get better than they are right now. Right now, Endicott isn't doing anything lately outside of faceoffs and tonight, he didn't even do that: he went 1 and 5. :?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Rob Scuderi- # 3 star??????????????????????????????????

Postby Southern Fan on Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:05 pm

Crosby with a goal and 2 assists not a star tonight
Southern Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Rob Scuderi- # 3 star??????????????????????????????????

Postby netwolf on Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:14 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Crosby with a goal and 2 assists not a star tonight

Caron as #1 is cool. Gonchar at #2 is okay, but I would have had him #3. I think Scuderi getting #3 had more to do with him being the local boy. He was okay tonight, but I can't recall him doing anything outside of the delay of game penalty. Him not being noticed is usually an idication that he had a good game, but a good game for him doesn't merit being a star over a guy with 3 points the way Crosby got his.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:22 am

Living in North Jersey I don't see the Pens all that often, but I watch them every chance I get...

The effort was there it seemed like to me, more than usual. Ryan Malone looked sharp in the early going. The defense seemed a little more positionally responsible, good work on getting to lose pucks. The shooting of Hilbert was looking good. Of course Sidney Crosby was Sidney Crosby. And despite the shutout by Caron, he still makes me very nervous out there...always flippin and floppin, giving up high glove at the drop of a hat (or shoulder), but a shutout's a shutout, nice work Sebastien, I look forward to seeing you back on the bench...

What's the deal with Niklas Nordgren everyone? Maybe I can't see him as much as you guys, but is he showing anyone anything? I don't think he's on the scoresheet since coming over, I don't mean to be too quick to judge, but is he a career minor (or Swedish) leaguer? He was what, an 8th round pick in 1997? He just now broke in the NHL, and he has been largely ineffective in limited time. I don't mean to give up on a player so early (as I am a big believer in a prospect when I commit to them) but can anyone tell if they see potential in this kid?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shinoix on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:28 am

He needs a chance on a higher line with someone other than Endicott...like I said before, he could make Gretzky look bad.

Nordgren can really fly, and he's big and strong. Canes fans were really upset to see him go, he was playing 2nd line as of late on the Canes. Then we plunk him on the 4th? LOL ouch

I think he's got potential, but he's never given a shot. It's hardto show anything on the 4th line, especially when playing with Endicott.
Shinoix

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:02 am

I thought Orpik, Malone and Koltsov all had great games. Someone mentioned Endicott above....I just don't get this kid. He's as slow as Koltsov is fast. He brings nothing to the game. He's got size but doesn't, or is too slow to use it. I can't see what he could possibly have that Kraft didn't.

My wish for next season is that all these quasi-mediocre players like Rita, Endicott, Quellet and Surovy are moved out of town for draft picks. You can't build an organization around guys like this. I just don't see any of these guys having enough consistancy to play on the top lines, and I don't think they bring enough of anything else to play on the third or fourth... not with guys like Stone and Carcillo in the system anyway. This offseason we should be trimming the fat.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:58 am

Did anyone else notice the tiem Endicott actually shot the puck back at Caron isntead of clearing the puck out? I can't remember if it was the first or second period, but there was a scramble around the net... the puck came out to Endicott who was standing alone in the middle... and instead of clearing it, he chipped it back towards Caron forcing him to make 3 more quick saves.

Why exactly is CP afraid to send him down again?
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:01 pm

I have no idea why Endicott has been GIVEN a spot on this team for so long. The reason he is not going to be sent down at this point is that the Penguins are out of post-trading deadline roster moves. If you want him out of the line-up (and most of us do) you will have to hope that he injures his ankle again.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins