Name the Pens priorities this offseason

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Name the Pens priorities this offseason

Postby cs6687 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:39 am

1) Let CP walk and find new GM

2) Get Malkin here by any means necessary.

3) Get top flight winger for Crosby.

4) Obtain stay at home d-man

5) Draft Erik Johnson, not Phil Kessel.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:05 am

Trade 1st round pick for an established 23-28 year old winger or defenseman

If I have my UFA's and RFA's right resign the following:
UFA:
Aleksey Morozov (if he's willing to come back and play with Malkin)
Matt Hussey (the kid can shoot alright, be good to have in WBS)
David Koci (why not, he's huge, good for WBS)
Matt Murley (I think he'd be a good role player, penalty killer)
Dany Sabourin (he's been great this year for the baby Pens)
Rob Scuderi (he might have been our best d-man this year)
Martin Strbak (Let's give him a chance, he seems to have potential)

RFA:
Marc Andre Fleury (almost as important to the franchise's success as Crosby)
Andy Hilbert (I like his potential, worth keeping around, decent shot)
Krys Kolanos (breakout year next year...I hope)
Konstantin Koltsov (I like this kid, he has no hands, but that speed would be good to have and if he can learn to be an effective penalty killer all the better)
Milan Kraft (if he's willing to come back, I'd take him)
Ryan Malone (I think he can be effective, this was just a sophomore slump)
Brooks Orpik (good physical defenseman that we need)
Tomas Surovy (I think he can effective winger, a good goal scorer relatively speaking)
Petr Taticek (Got to give this kid a chance to, wasn't he like a 9th overall pick at one point, and he plays center, he's worth a look)

If a good GM is around, then I guess we can lose CP.

Acquire Stanislav Chistov?

Free Agent defenseman, all around would be good

Free Agent talented winger, and a talented center (I know they don't grow on trees)
Maxim Afinogenov is incredible
Antti Laaksonen is an effective role player
Valeri Bure, if fully recovered, is a good playmaker
Are Zidlicky and Skrastins UFA? If so, either one of those would be excellent pickups
Jeff Heerema could play 4th line depending on other moves

I'll do better when I get a real list of FAs

That's all I can think of right now

Other than that, I can't think of anything
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shinoix on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:21 am

Jeff Hereema is a drunk! That's why he's been such a disappointment and bounced around from team to team.
Shinoix

Postby netwolf on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:24 am

1. Get Malkin signed and over here.
2. Get Malkin signed and over here.
3. Get Malkin signed and over here.
4. Get Malkin signed and over here.
5. Get Malkin signed and over here.

Then get Fleury, Armstrong, Malone, Orpik and Hilbert resigned. I'd like to see Koltsov and Surovy retained, but unless they come in at/near the minimum raise required let them walk. Both can be replaced if push comes to shove.

I like what Kolanos has done in Wilkes Barre, not sure about Taticek. I am not sure if there's room to retain everyone. Maybe they retain Kolanos and Taticek and say goodbye to Hussey. They don't have room for everyone.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BJL on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:31 am

Kolanos was the best player on the ice in both games I saw in Wilkes-Barre last weekend. Taticek had a goal but didn't really stand out much. Christensen will be here next year... because he is just too good for the AHL right now.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Name the Pens priorities this offseason

Postby jmh70 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:50 am

cs6687 wrote:1) Let CP walk and find new GM

2) Get Malkin here by any means necessary.

3) Get top flight winger for Crosby.

4) Obtain stay at home d-man

5) Draft Erik Johnson, not Phil Kessel.

Switch 3 and 4 and that sounds good.
jmh70

Postby mikey287 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:51 am

Oh yeah forgot about Malkin, wow that's terrible of me...yeah he should be second behind trading that first round pick...

I didn't know that Heerema was a drunk, how do you know that, I've never heard that before...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shinoix on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:45 am

well like i said in my other post about Jordan Staal being from my town...so is Hereema. (and yes i've played on the famous backyard Staal rink) LOL

Actually, Hereemas and Staals are VERY good friends...they're both dutch and live very close to each other...the dutch community sorta all live in the same area here.

All from my town of about 112,000 people come the Staals, Hereemas, Greg (former Pen) and Ryan Johnson, Taylor and Tom Pyatt (we should make a trade with NYR for Tom Pyatt, kid is GOOD), Alex Auld, Trevor Letowski, former Pen Norm MacIver, Alex Delvecchio, Walt Poddubny, Bill Houlder, Edgar Laprade, Steve Rucchin

Canadian Hockey Gold medalist Katie Weatherson (women's hockey 2006)

and yes.....Paul Schaffer haha...oh yeah, and remember Bambi Bembenek? Yes, she fled the US and hid here, held a job for quite a while before she was caught when her picture was on America's most wanted.

Not bad for our small town...I believe a study was down a while back, and per capita, my town and close surrounding area has the most players in the NHL. We breed hockey players!!
Shinoix

Postby Reilly on Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:58 am

mikey287 wrote:Trade 1st round pick for an established 23-28 year old winger or defenseman

Yes, trade the pick for a player who will probably leave after his contract is up. :roll:
Reilly

Postby mikey287 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:12 am

Yeah, we better not even try...let's do this, draft Fleury, Crosby, Malkin, and whoever we get in this draft and in a few years when it comes to pay day let's see if we can keep them all and still fill a roster...so would you rather one of them potentially leave? You can't just assume that a player will leave Pittsburgh like that, we've got some good seasons ahead of us very soon, everyone knows that...I stand by trading this pick, we got our franchise players of the future, lets get someone who's got a bright future and an established 'now.'
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:21 am

mikey287 wrote:Yeah, we better not even try...let's do this, draft Fleury, Crosby, Malkin, and whoever we get in this draft and in a few years when it comes to pay day let's see if we can keep them all and still fill a roster...so would you rather one of them potentially leave? You can't just assume that a player will leave Pittsburgh like that, we've got some good seasons ahead of us very soon, everyone knows that...I stand by trading this pick, we got our franchise players of the future, lets get someone who's got a bright future and an established 'now.'

If the Pens don't think any of the players in this draft are worth drafting, then why would teams give up their proven, star players in return for that pick? Teams that want the top pick are teams that are rebuilding, thus, have no good players even worth trading for. There are more than enough players this offseason that the pens can sign without having to trade the pick.
Reilly

Postby mikey287 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:42 am

Not neccessarily, there's a difference between 'worth drafting' and maybe not wanting another 'franchise player' There are a couple can't miss kids in this draft, the Penguins don't neccessarily need them though...I mean in a free-wheeling, money doesn't matter scenario, let's draft him, and let's double Gonchar's contract just for showing up for part of every other period....so I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would love to have a top 2 pick in this draft or any draft...and they don't have to be rebuilding to want a high pick...see Ruslan Fedotenko for 4th overall pick (Joni Pitkanen) a couple years back...

Rebuidling teams do have good players though too...some choice examples...whether we can get them or not is another story, but...
Florida: Olli Jokinen (unfortunately resigned w/Florida), Roberto Luongo (unneeded for Pittsburgh), Nathan Horton, Jay Bouwmeester
Atlanta: Marc Savard
Boston: Nick Boynton, Brad Boyes
Chicago: Mark Bell
Islanders: Denis Grebeshkov, Jeff Tambellini (a little more prospectous than I want though)
Phoenix: Oleg Saprykin, Derek Morris (I believe he resigned as well?)
Toronto: Carlo Colaiacovo
Washington: Dainius Zubrus, Steve Eminger
Columbus: Nikki Zherdev, Rostislav Klesla
Anaheim: Stanislav Chistov, Joffrey Lupul

So there are some guys out there on some rebuilding, or soon to be rebuilding teams, not a scientific research or reasonable trade proposal, but it's an option that should be strongly considered
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:06 am

Get a right-shooting defenseman, and I'm not talking about Ric Jackman. Anyone know who's available?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:11 am

Gaucho wrote:Get a right-shooting defenseman, and I'm not talking about Ric Jackman. Anyone know who's available?

Joe Corvo is the guy.

1.Pens need to get Malkin here, everything else is a distant 2nd.

2.Scout and draft at a level beyond their own capabilities. This draft year has to be executed perfectly. They can trade down in the first round and still come out with the best player (IHMO) or trdae up in the 2nd for a solid late first rounder.

3.Aquire Joe Corvo. He isnt a Norris winner but he HATES turning the puck over and moves the puck very smartly and accurately. He has arrived as a solid blueliner but it could be pricey to lure him here.

4.Find a veteren center who can win faceoffs. I don't care if they have to bring Ron Francis out of retirement. They have ignored this need for years and it has to be addressed no matter what.

5.Re-sign everyone but NOT TO NHL ONLY CONTRACTS. Koltsov is a good example of a guy who could benefit from some time in the A every now and then. They need to remain flexible and keep it in these young guys heads that they will be sent down when they chose to suck.
NIN

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:21 am

One word:

MALKIN!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:22 am

1. Find a new GM before the draft
2. Figure out a way to get Malkin over here
3. Sign Fleury to a long term deal that might overpay on the fornt side but hopefully will be a batgain down the road but make sure it expires that season before he has one year left of RFA status
4. Get Armstrong locked into a long term deal as well.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pensfannn on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:47 pm

4.Find a veteren center who can win faceoffs. I don't care if they have to bring Ron Francis out of retirement. They have ignored this need for years and it has to be addressed no matter what.

After watching World Juniors and the Olympics, it is apparent that Malkin is excellent at face-offs. He would automatically be our best face-off guy... not a Brind Amour, Francis or Perrault, but potentially a top 10 guy in the league.

Signing Malkin would be huge (which everyone agrees). It would be the best off-season pickup for any team in the league, even if Chara, Sakic, Samsanov, etc. don't get re-signed by their respective teams.

Imagine our PP - Gonchar and Whitney on the point, Armstrong in the slot, Malkin and Crosby on each half-board... LETHAL!
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:52 pm

pensfannn wrote:4.Find a veteren center who can win faceoffs. I don't care if they have to bring Ron Francis out of retirement. They have ignored this need for years and it has to be addressed no matter what.

After watching World Juniors and the Olympics, it is apparent that Malkin is excellent at face-offs. He would automatically be our best face-off guy... not a Brind Amour, Francis or Perrault, but potentially a top 10 guy in the league.

Signing Malkin would be huge (which everyone agrees). It would be the best off-season pickup for any team in the league, even if Chara, Sakic, Samsanov, etc. don't get re-signed by their respective teams.

Imagine our PP - Gonchar and Whitney on the point, Armstrong in the slot, Malkin and Crosby on each half-board... LETHAL!

Malkin will get schooled in his rookie year. Just like Pearrualt, Francis, and Brind Amour got schooled in their rookie years. If Malkin breaks even at 50% I would be very impressed.
NIN

I agree

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:29 pm

1.Sign Malkin
2.Sign Malkin
3.Sign Malkin
4.Get stay at home D-man
5.Get winger for Crosby or Malkin
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:41 am

NIN wrote:Malkin will get schooled in his rookie year. Just like Pearrualt, Francis, and Brind Amour got schooled in their rookie years. If Malkin breaks even at 50% I would be very impressed.

Crosby is not far off from 50% as an 18 year old rookie - 44.7% according to NHL.com's stats.

Malkin is 2 years older, bigger, and stronger and already has shown he is good on draws. I don't think him going 50-55% will be that hard for him to accomplish.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins