Penguins CHL Prospects Season Review

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins CHL Prospects Season Review

Postby netwolf on Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:23 pm

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php?si ... ed&order=0

This article mentions Kristopher Letang, Michal Sersen, JP Paquet, Tyler Kennedy, Jordan Morrison, Johannes Salmonsson, and Moises Gutierrez.

Kristopher Letang will be 19 when the Pens open their next training camp. He was very impressive in the last one and is RIGHT-HANDED.

I knew that Salmonsson has struggled in juniors, but I did not know it had been so bad that he had returned to his native Sweden. I am a little disappointed as he was rated very high and supposedly slipped out of the 1st round because of an injury. Hopefully, this is just a case of a young kid having trouble making the transition to NA hockey and he'll figure it out next year or the one after that.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:35 pm

I hate to say it but I don't think Salmonsson is looking like NHL material right now. I think he's a bit on the frail side and had some problems with the physical game. It's not a good sign that he chose to head back to Sweden than try to adapt to NA hockey.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:54 am

NJ5934 wrote:I hate to say it but I don't think Salmonsson is looking like NHL material right now. I think he's a bit on the frail side and had some problems with the physical game. It's not a good sign that he chose to head back to Sweden than try to adapt to NA hockey.

He isn't but it's hasn't even been 2 years since he was drafted. I don't know why he went back to Sweden. He might not have been getting as much ice time, he may have been homesick, he may have been having trouble with living in NA, or it could have been some other reason altogether.

The odds were stacked against him from the beginning though. The Pens do not have much luck with second round picks. :P
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins