Post-Gazette Coverage......

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Post-Gazette Coverage......

Postby tluke53 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:39 am

Sorry, I know this topic has been discussed before, but it is eating at me again. Did anyone happen to read all the articles discussing the Pirates in today's Post-Gazette? Can anyone recall a time when the Pen's were received such thorogh coverage?

I guess the Pirates are just that much more popular than the Pen's. :roll:
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby spi on Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:16 pm

Yeah, the last time they got that kind of detailed coverage was when Dejan was the Pens beat writer and not the bucs writer.

Molinari sucks, plain and simple.

BRING BACK DEJAN!!!
spi
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby spoon on Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:38 pm

think that it has anything to do with the fact that the Pirates season starts tomorrow and that this is typically the Pirates Preview day. naw, couldnt be.
spoon
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:47 pm

spoon wrote:think that it has anything to do with the fact that the Pirates season starts tomorrow and that this is typically the Pirates Preview day. naw, couldnt be.

Man, you really hit that one out of the park.
NIN

Postby tluke53 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:05 pm

I am well aware that they open the season tommorrow. The Pens coverage right before the season started lacked the quantity and quality of coverage that the Pirates received.

It's just a personal thing, because I think baseball is really boring sport that does not deserve to have more fans than the Pens. :cry:
tluke53
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:12 pm

tluke53 wrote:I am well aware that they open the season tommorrow. The Pens coverage right before the season started lacked the quantity and quality of coverage that the Pirates received.

It's just a personal thing, because I think baseball is really boring sport that does not deserve to have more fans than the Pens. :cry:

Personally, I think you're just looking for a reason to b*tch.

Realistically, was the coverage better for the Pirates than for the Penguins at the beginning of the year? Yes. Was it because of some slant against hockey? No. It’s because they've hired some crap writers who are incapable of putting coherent thoughts together for long periods of time.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fast B on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:35 pm

spi wrote:Yeah, the last time they got that kind of detailed coverage was when Dejan was the Pens beat writer and not the bucs writer.

BRING BACK DEJAN!!!

I think this is the correct answer. Dejan is passionate about his work and it shows. Molinari's writing, by comparison, very often seems as though it is phoned in.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Post-Gazette Coverage......

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:44 am

tluke53 wrote:Sorry, I know this topic has been discussed before, but it is eating at me again. Did anyone happen to read all the articles discussing the Pirates in today's Post-Gazette? Can anyone recall a time when the Pen's were received such thorogh coverage?

I guess the Pirates are just that much more popular than the Pen's. :roll:

Woo-hoo pirates mathematically in pennant chase today!
:P
I would like to know why D Molinari hasn't done the past 2 or 3
sunday edition articles about the penguins? S Anderson does the
half-side blurb for around the NHL (why do we care about the
gretzky coaching watch here?) Also sometimes s anderson does
the other penguin articles.

To be fair pens did receive that kind of coverage when their season did
not end in the tank or in april. :evil:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sleestak on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:30 am

Fast B wrote:
spi wrote:Yeah, the last time they got that kind of detailed coverage was when Dejan was the Pens beat writer and not the bucs writer.

BRING BACK DEJAN!!!

I think this is the correct answer. Dejan is passionate about his work and it shows. Molinari's writing, by comparison, very often seems as though it is phoned in.

That's why I will infinately miss Dejan's coverage. I used to wait all week long for Dejan's Q&A column. He was respectful of his readers, showed real passion and knoweledge for the team and sport and really gave what appeared to be his all into his works for the PG.

Molinari does not do these things. He's pompous, arrogant and it's blatant that he does not want to be doing what he's doing.

Put simply I won't read the Molinari Q&A because he's nothing but a rude jerk.
Sleestak
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NIN on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:41 am

I don't get this love afairi with Dejan? They have different styles is all. I think we are getting the same insight and fact finding reporting. I think Molinari gets great qoutes and shows us some information from different player perspectives as much as possible. Did'nt Dejan keep going back to the same players for qoutes over and over again?

Besides, who else is going to unleash these gems...

"Losing this game will not spoil the Penguins' season any more than the Titanic's maiden voyage was ruined because the orchestra didn't quite have time to complete its final song."
NIN

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:49 am

NIN wrote:I don't get this love afairi with Dejan? They have different styles is all. I think we are getting the same insight and fact finding reporting. I think Molinari gets great qoutes and shows us some information from different player perspectives as much as possible. Did'nt Dejan keep going back to the same players for qoutes over and over again?

Besides, who else is going to unleash these gems...

"Losing this game will not spoil the Penguins' season any more than the Titanic's maiden voyage was ruined because the orchestra didn't quite have time to complete its final song."

So you're saying the Titanics madien voyage wasn't ruined?

Just kidding.

Seriously though, if they keep racking up points the way they have been the last ten games, you can give five lottery balls to the Blues right now.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:51 am

I don't really care too much about sports writers opinions on subjects. Give me the facts and I will form my own opinions. The only time I really care about their opinions are in cases conscerning prospects and their development. As I can not see so-n-so on such-n-such team in Russia play, I need to get some aditional input. However, I do not need to see someone's opinion on the Pittsburgh Penguins and it's players. I have my own.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:53 am

Jim wrote:I don't really care too much about sports writers opinions on subjects. Give me the facts and I will form my own opinions. The only time I really care about their opinions are in cases conscerning prospects and their development. As I can not see so-n-so on such-n-such team in Russia play, I need to get some aditional input. However, I do not need to see someone's opinion on the Pittsburgh Penguins and it's players. I have my own.

It's not their opinions that I read the articles for, it's the fact that they have access to the players and coaches and can ask the questions I'd like to know the answers too. Dejan did that, the others don't.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jim on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:02 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:It's not their opinions that I read the articles for, it's the fact that they have access to the players and coaches and can ask the questions I'd like to know the answers too. Dejan did that, the others don't.

This past week I realized that I get Hockey Night in Canada on my Ice package. I figured I would DVR it a few times to see what the big deal was. Once you get past the xenophobia put forth you actually get some great stuff. They have people at all the games for Canadian teams. They interview a good number of coaches and players. THey even ask personal question of the players, favorite food etc, just to make them more human. It actually is rather cool. Now, if they could just get past their xenophobic inferiority complex...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins