Penguins vs. Debs... 1/2/06.... semi official thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Jesse on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:20 pm

2-2.

Thanks, Joe.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:21 pm

Jesse wrote:2-2.

Thanks, Joe.

Watch the replay, Elias dove, Melichar should have been called for boarding but he never tripped Elias.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:21 pm

Crap!

Now win in OT, Sid!

NIN, maye Colby indeed wasn't ready before this season...?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:22 pm

Thanks, Joe.

Oh man, will Ziggy defend Melichar after that? hmmmm I dont know how he could, best to remain silent Ziggy. :wink:
NIN

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:22 pm

crap! crap! crap!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:23 pm

Whew, that was close.

Okay Hilbert, go get that GW OT goal for my fantasy hockey team. :D
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Stoosh on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:23 pm

Once again, the cameras prove Bob Errey's eyes lied to him.

I'll give Errey a break here. I thought it was a penalty too until they looked at it from that last angle.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby 68forever on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:24 pm

Crap hard to watch that after they manage to hold on till the end then with just a few seconds left let that goal in let's hope OT is better.
68forever
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:24 pm

Gaucho wrote:Crap!

Now win in OT, Sid!

NIN, maye Colby indeed wasn't ready before this season...?

Looking back at the 02-03 and 03-04 teams I dont see how a player like Colby doesnt get a cup of coffee in the NHL. Even HE said his confidence was shot because the franchise showed no faith in him. Those teams were AWFUL and he should have at least got a look. Oh well CP will be gone soon enough.
NIN

Postby Jesse on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:24 pm

DelPen wrote:

Thanks, Joe.

Watch the replay, Elias dove, Melichar should have been called for boarding but he never tripped Elias.

Exactly, it's a makeup call. He got his stick up in that "call" area of the arms.

He should have known the ref's were watching.

To make that motion with your stick on an opposing player is just as bad as commiting the actual penalty.

70 some games into the year, that has been apparant from game 1.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:24 pm

NIN wrote:

Thanks, Joe.

Oh man, will Ziggy defend Melichar after that? hmmmm I dont know how he could, best to remain silent Ziggy. :wink:

I won't defend Joe because he did get beat, but Malone missed a clear moments before the trip and Joe wasn't one of the PKers that decided it would be a good idea to all collapse down low.

Joe deserves some blame, but there's enough to go around.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SportsFan on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:25 pm

Whitney should of cleared the puck
SportsFan

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:26 pm

Stoosh wrote:
Once again, the cameras prove Bob Errey's eyes lied to him.

I'll give Errey a break here. I thought it was a penalty too until they looked at it from that last angle.

Yeah, I know. That particular play was not that bad, but it's just another example of how reactionary he is. That kind of thing happens all the time with him.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Peter on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:27 pm

GIONTA BONTA. THE GIONTAMEISTER. GIONTINATOR.
Peter

Postby Jesse on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:27 pm

I knew that was going to be a shot before he even shot it. No one told Fleury!

Joe did all he could on that one.

Gionta knows how to pot em'.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:27 pm

Poop.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:28 pm

Ouellete was on his horse but he still couldnt gain any ground. Tough loss, and the Pens still need to skate better if they want to be considered a decent 4 on 4 team.
NIN

Postby Jesse on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:31 pm

NIN wrote:Ouellete was on his horse but he still couldnt gain any ground. Tough loss, and the Pens still need to skate better if they want to be considered a decent 4 on 4 team.

They also need to play 60 minutes of hockey to avoid putting themselves in those situations to begin with.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dagny on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:33 pm

Had they made the empty netter... different game.

They played better than I'm used to seeing them in early games.

I wonder who's in goal next game....
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jmh70 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:34 pm

I'm not sure whether to blame Gonchar for his atrocious play on the tying goal or MT for putting Gonchar out there with 30 seconds left. Shockingly bad decisions all around. Maybe they really are tanking.
jmh70

Postby Stoosh on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:37 pm

The fact that they let this kid rot in the AHL for about 1 1/2 years too many is another nail in Patricks coffin.

I actually can't fault CP for this too much, NIN. Take a look at the players drafted within five spots either way of Armstrong. and almost all of them are just seeing their first regular NHL duty this year.

I think there were some legitimate concerns about Armstrong's game translating to the NHL level, whether they were about his speed, skills or his physical makeup (concerns about him being too skinny). I'll admit...from everything I heard about him prior to seeing him up here, I'm really impressed. He might be one of those players whose game is just tailor-made for this level, so he'll outperform expectations. The kid shows mroe skill and offensive awareness than I ever expected to see out of him.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:42 pm

Jesse wrote:I knew that was going to be a shot before he even shot it. No one told Fleury!

Joe did all he could on that one.

Gionta knows how to pot em'.

I can't blame Melichar, but he could have played it better. There was zero chance that Gionta was going to pass that puck to Colin White. None.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dagny on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:44 pm

jmh70 wrote:I'm not sure whether to blame Gonchar for his atrocious play on the tying goal or MT for putting Gonchar out there with 30 seconds left. Shockingly bad decisions all around. Maybe they really are tanking.

Try blaming the incredibly stupid, ill-advised, badly-timed, careless, lazy, unnecessary, last-minute penalty when the game was almost won!

I don't care who commited it. He should be tarred and feathered, then forced to dance around the igloo on his skates! Like a real penguin.... :evil:

Aaahhh... I feel better now. Sometimes ya just gotta get it out. :D

Too bad we couldn't have gotten one of those empty netters........ :roll: :wink: :lol:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:46 pm

NIN wrote:The fact that they let this kid rot in the AHL for about 1 1/2 years too many is another nail in Patricks coffin.

Colby Armstrong's Career Stats

When exactly should they have brought him up sooner? When he scored 18 points in 73 games as an AHL rookie in 2002-03?

Maybe the next season when he scored 27 points in 67 games in 03-04?

He did have 55 points in 80 games in 04-05, but there was that small issue of the NHL lockout that kept him down.

He likely would have seen NHL action last year, but he didn't deserve a callup before then. And he certainly wasn't rotting away.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:48 pm

Once again today, the Pens are done in by incompetent officiating. The way this league is, you just know there will be a grossly wrong call or two favoing a good team in a close game. Today, it was Melichar's penalty on Elias. I defy anyone to watch the replay of that and tell me that Melichar touched him before he went flying through the air on a perfect 10 dive. How that was called a hook and not a dive simply defies belief. You cannot win when you are forced to play 5 on 7 the last few minutes like that. The refs in this league are the most incmpetent of those in any sport. It's not even close. Once a garage league, always a garage league.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins