Who should win the "Worst Penguin of the Year " aw

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who should win the "Worst Penguin of the Year " aw

Postby Scott on Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:13 pm

Don't answer off the cuff. Take everything into consideration.
It is not so much as in how bad is one player, but how much his actions hurt the team. Some players don't do much on offense or defense, but they don't really hurt the team with their play.
To answer that without considering everything, my answer would be Endo. He is a terrible player. Eno does nothing, but he doesnt hurt our team very much.

But considering everything and how much a player hurts the team with very little positive impact,

The answer is... Brooks Orpik.
He is by far the worst player in a Penguin uniform.
He has 114 Penalty mins. He has missed 18 games. That said, he would be in the top 3 for PIM in the league. That would be ok if he brought a positive impact to the team. Sad to say but he does not. Out of position more than 100 percent of the time.
He hits when it is convenient. ONLY. DO SOMETHING. It is funny to me when I hear the younger crowd regard him as a "heavy hitter" . Too bad they were sleeping when Ulf, Leroux, Kaspar were REALLY HITTING PEOPLE. Those players had their short comings as well, but they certainly had positive attributes to their game.

By the way, Chara has a lot of Penalty mins...and we all know how many positives he brings to counter balance that.

My vote goes to Mr. Brooks Orpik.

Who would you vote for?
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Who should win the "Worst Penguin of the Year "

Postby Fast B on Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:19 pm

Scott wrote:To answer that without considering everything, my answer would be Endo. He is a terrible player. Eno does nothing, but he doesnt hurt our team very much.

I stopped reading right here.

Endicott is, as you say, terrible. He adds nothing. Add to that the fact that whenever he is on the ice he will immediately turn the puck over or take a stupid penalty, and you wonder why he plays at all. But I guess other than that, he doesn't hurt the team much. :roll:

Orpik doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb either, but he has some nonzero value at his position. Endicott brings absolutely nothing whatsoever.
Last edited by Fast B on Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby borohcky9 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:23 pm

Shane Endicott should never see NHL ice. I would also like to throw an honorable mention to Jocyln Thibault, he never should have taken a year off.
borohcky9

Postby FuturePens on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:04 pm

1. Endicott (worst player I have ever seen)

2. Thibault (horrible shape, overrated before the season)j

3. Leclair (way to slow, has not played for almost 2 years before this season)

4. Malone (to slow for today's game, needs to improve defence)

5. Melichar (has had a lazy approach to the game, could play better)

Gonchar would have been in the top 3, but he's stepped up his game a ton. He knows he played bad, he acknowledged that. Jackman, Poapst were also up there, but it doesn't matter now, so I didn't mention them.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Who should win the "Worst Penguin of the Year "

Postby Scott on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:05 pm

Fast B wrote:
Scott wrote:To answer that without considering everything, my answer would be Endo. He is a terrible player. Eno does nothing, but he doesnt hurt our team very much.

I stopped reading right here.

Endicott is, as you say, terrible. He adds nothing. Add to that the fact that whenever he is on the ice he will immediately turn the puck over or take a stupid penalty, and you wonder why he plays at all. But I guess other than that, he doesn't hurt the team much. :roll:

Orpik doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb either, but he has some nonzero value at his position. Endicott brings absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Oh but that is why you should have kept on reading.

Endo is no doubt a bad player, but considering how much ice time, penalties, bad positoning leading to scoring chance or goal..that is done by Orpik, which brings more negative? Brooks by far.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:07 pm

FuturePens wrote:1. Endicott (worst player I have ever seen)

2. Thibault (horrible shape, overrated before the season)j

3. Leclair (way to slow, has not played for almost 2 years before this season)

4. Malone (to slow for today's game, needs to improve defence)

5. Melichar (has had a lazy approach to the game, could play better)

Gonchar would have been in the top 3, but he's stepped up his game a ton. He knows he played bad, he acknowledged that. Jackman, Poapst were also up there, but it doesn't matter now, so I didn't mention them.

T-bo doesnt get considered becasue he could do one thing good. T-bo was good in shootouts. (the few he got to play in)
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Vanbiesbrouck on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:08 pm

Endicott is the worst skater I've ever seen in the NHL. He is supposed to be a power forward, but only knocks people down when they fall over him. He looks lost, and will turn away from a play just to avoid getting beat defensively.

In all seriousness, did anyone get to see him play before his injury at the beginning of this season? I'm curious if he actually did show promise or not, because I recall seeing several places that he was a sure shot to make an impact this year, and it was a shame he wasn't on the roster to begin the season due to being hurt.
Vanbiesbrouck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:13 pm

Dude, if you wanted to blast Orpik with hyperbole, just come out and say you think he sucks. Don't disguise it as a "Who's the worst Penguin?" thread...

Orpik has had an up and down year, but that is not surprising considering he's basically in his second NHL season and is coming off a full year with no hockey. He's by no means a stalwart, but he's the only guy that hits and plays physical on a consistent basis. His skating is also underrated. His forward mobility may be the best on the defense corps. His puck handling is questionable as is his decision making at times, but both have improved as the year continued. He's not the best player on the team by any stretch, but to call him the worst player on the team is a ridiculous. So is thinking Leroux was ever better than Orpik is.

What has Endicott done besides keep Talbot in Wilkes Barre? What did Palffy, Thibault, Odelein, or Poapst do before they quit, got hurt, or got traded? Until the last month or two, what has LeClair done to earn his money?

The Pens have a lot of problems. Orpik isn't one of them. Look at guys like Palffy and LeClair who didn't live up to their contracts. Thibault's another one. Gonchar would also be if not for his turnaround of late.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FuturePens on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:33 pm

What has Endicott done besides keep Talbot in Wilkes Barre? What did Palffy, Thibault, Odelein, or Poapst do before they quit, got hurt, or got traded? Until the last month or two, what has LeClair done to earn his money?

The Pens have a lot of problems. Orpik isn't one of them. Look at guys like Palffy and LeClair who didn't live up to their contracts. Thibault's another one. Gonchar would also be if not for his turnaround of late.[/quote]

WOW, you pretty much explained the same post I had half hour ago, just in different words.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Scott on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:33 pm

netwolf wrote:Dude, if you wanted to blast Orpik with hyperbole, just come out and say you think he sucks. Don't disguise it as a "Who's the worst Penguin?" thread...

Orpik has had an up and down year, but that is not surprising considering he's basically in his second NHL season and is coming off a full year with no hockey. He's by no means a stalwart, but he's the only guy that hits and plays physical on a consistent basis. His skating is also underrated. His forward mobility may be the best on the defense corps. His puck handling is questionable as is his decision making at times, but both have improved as the year continued. He's not the best player on the team by any stretch, but to call him the worst player on the team is a ridiculous. So is thinking Leroux was ever better than Orpik is.

The Pens have a lot of problems. Orpik isn't one of them. Look at guys like Palffy and LeClair who didn't live up to their contracts. Thibault's another one. Gonchar would also be if not for his turnaround of late.

Nothing is disguised, I used Endo as an example becasue I, like most of you, think of him as being so terrible. he sucks no doubt, but he doesnt hurt the team as bad as Orpik does. Period.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jmh70 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:46 pm

Clearly the answer is Sergei Gonchar. Players like Endicott don't really hurt the team. Gonchar hurts the team every night.
jmh70

Postby topshelf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:01 pm

jmh70 wrote:Clearly the answer is Sergei Gonchar. Players like Endicott don't really hurt the team. Gonchar hurts the team every night.

He especially hurt us the other night against the Isles, right? :roll:
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:13 pm

topshelf wrote:
jmh70 wrote:Clearly the answer is Sergei Gonchar. Players like Endicott don't really hurt the team. Gonchar hurts the team every night.

His awful giveaway today hurt us. As has his indifference to the game all year long. A few cheap points here and there do not justify $5M a year.
BurghThing
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:23 pm

BurghThing wrote:
topshelf wrote:

His awful giveaway today hurt us. As has his indifference to the game all year long. A few cheap points here and there do not justify $5M a year.

Can you please tell me how you have ascertained he has had "indifference to the game all year long?" By all acounts his early struggles really weighed on him. Just because he doesn't outwardly express it, doesn't mean he doesn't care.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:47 pm

I have a few choices...I think Craig Patrick hurt the team pretty bad, but I guess he won't count...

It's not Brooks Orpik...that's all for that, it's just not him...

Shane Endicott is quite lackluster out there on every shift, he's a waste of ice time more often than not.

I wouldn't say Gonchar after his recent improvements, if this is December or January, it's Gonchar, but now, he's out of the running.

My pick, if I'm interpreting the question right...Jocelyn Thibault, he was maybe a starter going in, he got hurt, he sucked badly before he got hurt, I don't remember is numbers but wasn't it like 1-9 with a 4+ GAA or something. We were really depending on him to take the load off of Fleury, and he didn't and then he got hurt (not his fault, but I don't know about that whole 'needed surgery' thing, I'm still skeptical about that whole scenario) I think he hurt us and for the whole season, it's Endicott, maybe Shane is the easy answer and easy way out, but he is a waste of time, and I'd much rather have Kraft wearing that 14. (he did change his number to 14, right?)
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:18 am

No one is going to say Lemieux? Interesting....
Reilly

Postby Kicksave on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:18 am

ziggystardust wrote:Endo is the worst.

then recchi

then jackman

then whitney

then tarnstrom

then gonchar

how can you put whitney on that list? the kid has shined at spots, working through some growing pains on a bad defensive team?
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:32 am

Whitney really HAS been bad. But since he's a rookie, and taking on a lot of responsibility as one, not to mention he's shown flashes of great play, I wouldn't call him the worst Penguin. He's going to get a lot better.

Orpik doesn't even come close to being the worst player on the team. He routinely makes pretty fine defensive plays. He also makes a lot of stupid ones. He's inconsistent, but like Whitney, he's inexperienced and will get better. This is only his second NHL season. Get off his back.

Endicott has to be the worst. He contributes nothing. He does nothing offensively, his faceoff percentage isn't good, he takes too many penalties. Koltsov hasn't put up points, but he at least draws penalties and kills them. Endicott by far has been the worst player on the team. Thibault was bad, but he didn't play all that much in the grand scheme.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 am

Any of the following:

Endo, Recchi, Gonchar, Leclair, Whitney or T-bo. Gonchar and Leclair have played better recently, and T-bo was injured - so maybe go with Endo.

and as others have posted, Orpik has had his ups & downs this season, but he's far from our worst player...

let's go Pens!
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:04 am

Look, Gonchar hasen't been steller, but he's putting up points. With the exception of Crosby (who at times hurt the team with his penalties), the entire team was bad this season.

From start to finish, I'd say the worst Penguin has been Ryan Malone. This guy should have 30 goals at least right now. He can't fight. He never uses his size. He's not physical. He's not good at anything. The only reason he's on this team still is because he's from pittsburgh and his dad drafted him.
Reilly

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:32 am

Noah Welch. Because he's not here.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:15 am

The only reason Thibault doesn't win is because he didn't play enough. Therefore the prize falls to Endicot.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:29 am

Reilly wrote:From start to finish, I'd say the worst Penguin has been Ryan Malone. This guy should have 30 goals at least right now. He can't fight. He never uses his size. He's not physical. He's not good at anything. The only reason he's on this team still is because he's from pittsburgh and his dad drafted him.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Where do you begin to address a statement like this?

Kids playing in his sophmore season, he had a tough year sure, but the WORST player on the Pens? Hardly.

If I changed the question up a little and ask "of all the players who underperformed this year Gonchar, Melichar, Jackman, Endo, Malone, etc..., which of those players do you expect to have a much better season next year?" My answer would be 1) Malone 2) Gonchar...

Did Ryan refuse to give you an autograph earlier this year or what?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Mad City Mike on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:45 am

All I can say is, anybody that thinks Shane Endicott is NOT the worst Penguin player is either just trying to pick a fight or they don't know what they are talking about. Every other player on this team has at least done something positive in the course of the season. Endumbcott has not. He is not only the worst player this year, he might be the worst player I have ever seen. He skates worse than goons who are paid only to fight. He passes worse than most goalies. I can't evaluate his shot because he never gets any. He takes more dumb, lazy penalties per minute played than any player in hockey. The answer to your question was a slam dunk. And you clanged it off the rim.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:47 am

i would have to say endicott

he wins it by a landslide.... :?
Super Slovak Surovy

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins