Who should win the "Worst Penguin of the Year " aw

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

My vote to

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:52 am

Shane Endicott is badest player alive....
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:52 am

How about Crosby? Punk can't even win the Calder Trophy for Pete's sake... Whoever Pete is...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:00 am

i have no respcet for crosby now.
I was watching Inside Penguins hockey and he was sitting next to Stan Savran getting interviewed and blah blah blah

but he was wearing those annoying rubber clog typer shoes....yellow ones...those are girl-ish shoes.
i dont know if they have them in other malls, but if you've been to the mills they are everywhere.

crosby has sunk to the bottom of my list.....still above endicunt though
Super Slovak Surovy

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:01 am

FuturePens wrote:1. Endicott (worst player I have ever seen)

2. Thibault (horrible shape, overrated before the season)j

3. Leclair (way to slow, has not played for almost 2 years before this season)

4. Malone (to slow for today's game, needs to improve defence)

5. Melichar (has had a lazy approach to the game, could play better)

Gonchar would have been in the top 3, but he's stepped up his game a ton. He knows he played bad, he acknowledged that. Jackman, Poapst were also up there, but it doesn't matter now, so I didn't mention them.

ugh melichar
i just dont understand why he has an "A"
why? why? why?
what has he done to deserve it.... :cry:
Super Slovak Surovy

Postby Jim on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:05 am

Super Slovak Surovy wrote:i have no respcet for crosby now.
I was watching Inside Penguins hockey and he was sitting next to Stan Savran getting interviewed and blah blah blah

but he was wearing those annoying rubber clog typer shoes....yellow ones...those are girl-ish shoes.
i dont know if they have them in other malls, but if you've been to the mills they are everywhere.

crosby has sunk to the bottom of my list.....still above endicunt though

I saw that too. I see them over in UPMC a lot though so I am a little more used to them. At least they are JUST shower shoes for him. He won't be tempted to wear them in public like the rest of the flip-flop wearing freaks out there. When I see people in Oakland wearing then I always want to ask, "Noce flip-flops... are you going to the beach or going to take a shower?"
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Who should win the "Worst Penguin of the Year "

Postby NJ5934 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:27 am

Scott wrote:Don't answer off the cuff. Take everything into consideration.
It is not so much as in how bad is one player, but how much his actions hurt the team. Some players don't do much on offense or defense, but they don't really hurt the team with their play.
To answer that without considering everything, my answer would be Endo. He is a terrible player. Eno does nothing, but he doesnt hurt our team very much.

But considering everything and how much a player hurts the team with very little positive impact,

The answer is... Brooks Orpik.
He is by far the worst player in a Penguin uniform.
He has 114 Penalty mins. He has missed 18 games. That said, he would be in the top 3 for PIM in the league. That would be ok if he brought a positive impact to the team. Sad to say but he does not. Out of position more than 100 percent of the time.
He hits when it is convenient. ONLY. DO SOMETHING. It is funny to me when I hear the younger crowd regard him as a "heavy hitter" . Too bad they were sleeping when Ulf, Leroux, Kaspar were REALLY HITTING PEOPLE. Those players had their short comings as well, but they certainly had positive attributes to their game.

By the way, Chara has a lot of Penalty mins...and we all know how many positives he brings to counter balance that.

My vote goes to Mr. Brooks Orpik.

Who would you vote for?

Amazing how so many value Orpik as one of the BETTER blueliners here and yet there is always someone who cannot stop ragging him.

Let me guess buddy your ideal 6 is something like this...

Tarnstrom Jonsson
Moran Laukkanen
Odelein Poapst

Have you every listened to any of the veterans talk about how teams look forward to playing the Penguins, how they are an easy team to play?

Have you ever played hockey? You know that easy obviously refers to physically. Teams like to play teams they can abuse, that they don't have to spend the whole night waiting to get crushed. Orpik is one of the few (and I mean very few) who tend to keep opposing forwards honest.

Keep in mind that if it wasn't for Orpik there's a good chance Glen Patrick would still be running WBS. Yea everyone seems to forget that Orpik was the one who made is well known that there was NO system down there, and "prospects" were not being guided in any way shape or form.

We are lucky to have Brooks on this team. He's a warrior, he wears his heart of his sleeve and he brings alot more to this team than most think.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby prez41 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:16 am

Dany Sabourin
prez41
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:34 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Reilly wrote:From start to finish, I'd say the worst Penguin has been Ryan Malone. This guy should have 30 goals at least right now. He can't fight. He never uses his size. He's not physical. He's not good at anything. The only reason he's on this team still is because he's from pittsburgh and his dad drafted him.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Where do you begin to address a statement like this?

Kids playing in his sophmore season, he had a tough year sure, but the WORST player on the Pens? Hardly.

It's easy to say Shane Endicott sucks, but in reality, he's not suppose to make an impact on the Penguins. He's just a depth player. Coming into this season, Ryan Malone was expected to not only become a permanent top 6 player, but also make the US olympic team. Neither happened. Other than a few ugly short handed goals, Malone has been worthless this season.
Reilly

Postby jimjom on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:50 am

Endocott, Koltsov: a toss-up.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby alain blanc on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:58 am

Thibault & Odelein! :twisted:
alain blanc

Postby netwolf on Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:01 pm

Reilly wrote:Coming into this season, Ryan Malone was expected to not only become a permanent top 6 player, but also make the US olympic team.

Who expected that? He was certainly trending in that direction, if one year can even be considered as a trend. He's a second year pro that was drafted in the 4th round - if anyone EXPECTED those types of things from him this soon into his NHL career, I'd say they had unrealistic expectations.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:15 pm

Reilly wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
Reilly wrote:From start to finish, I'd say the worst Penguin has been Ryan Malone. This guy should have 30 goals at least right now. He can't fight. He never uses his size. He's not physical. He's not good at anything. The only reason he's on this team still is because he's from pittsburgh and his dad drafted him.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Where do you begin to address a statement like this?

Kids playing in his sophmore season, he had a tough year sure, but the WORST player on the Pens? Hardly.

It's easy to say Shane Endicott sucks,

I've read my post a few dozen times and I can't see where I said that, in fact, I can't see where I ever said that about any Pen.

Hmmm... was I posting wih that magical Font again that only Reilly can read? I *hate* it when that happens. :roll:
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:51 pm

Palffy - because he quit.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

worst....

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:04 pm

jocelyn thibault- all those early games never had a chance of competing.
can't ignore Sergei Gonchar's absolute failure to produce from
october to december, especially on the power play.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:29 pm

GREAT point, Pitts. He walked out on his team, something a professional athlete should never do.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Reilly on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:07 pm

jimjom wrote:GREAT point, Pitts. He walked out on his team, something a professional athlete should never do.

we don't know the details, stop assuming.
Reilly

Postby Jesse on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:12 pm

Mad City Mike wrote:All I can say is, anybody that thinks Shane Endicott is NOT the worst Penguin player is either just trying to pick a fight or they don't know what they are talking about. Every other player on this team has at least done something positive in the course of the season. Endumbcott has not. He is not only the worst player this year, he might be the worst player I have ever seen. He skates worse than goons who are paid only to fight. He passes worse than most goalies. I can't evaluate his shot because he never gets any. He takes more dumb, lazy penalties per minute played than any player in hockey. The answer to your question was a slam dunk. And you clanged it off the rim.

Amen.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Reilly wrote:
jimjom wrote:GREAT point, Pitts. He walked out on his team, something a professional athlete should never do.

Well when a member of the front office uses the word "Quit", I'll take his word for it over some pompous self-righteous web poster.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby eberhard on Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:01 pm

When I consider player value to the club in the fullest sense -- e.g. % of sal cap, productivity per time spent on ice, performance in pressure moments, performance relative to line prominence/placement, effort, visible intangibles like line chemistry -- Gonchar had the inferior season.

I yelled at Gonchar far more than Endo this year. He was on the ice more, for one thing. He captained the power play. Gonchar is paid top dollar to excel in pressure situations and did the opposite. In the last 3 minutes of the game I came to expect a Gonchar hooking penalty that determines the game. It happened that many times. From the beginning of the season he looked slow, out of shape, and lifeless on the ice.

Endo shouldn't even be up with the big club. It is not his fault he is in the wrong role prematurely. If Chiodo became first goaltender and tanked I wouldn't yell at Chido, I'd yell at the GM.

But Gonchar is no n00b. I'll grant you that he has looked much better at the end of the season. But you have to consider the full body of work and not just the upwardly trending output and feel-good emotions at season's end.

Crosby obviously had the best season. We haven't had a Pen dominate like this since Jags.
eberhard
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby plasticbratt on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:50 am

Endicrap and Thibault. Either would qualify as the bane of my existence.
plasticbratt
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Reilly on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:42 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Reilly wrote:

Well when a member of the front office uses the word "Quit", I'll take his word for it over some pompous self-righteous web poster.

:roll:
Reilly

Postby HomerPenguin on Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:41 am

topshelf wrote:
jmh70 wrote:Clearly the answer is Sergei Gonchar. Players like Endicott don't really hurt the team. Gonchar hurts the team every night.

He especially hurt us the other night against the Isles, right? :roll:

Thank God he was able to help the team win a totally meaningless game after doing so much to lose games that could have been meaningful earlier in the season.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Super Slovak Surovy on Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:51 am

prez41 wrote:Dany Sabourin

he made a fool of himself in one game
now he's practically dominating in the AHL
Super Slovak Surovy

Postby Jim on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:18 am

Good thing he is only making $3.5M this season then...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:31 am

What are you talking about? Do you just pull this stuff out of your bum?

You commented on his production NOW. What he is doing NOW. I commented on his salary NOW. Neither of us had mentioned anything about future years.

Try, really hard, to stay on topic.

In reality, in future years of his contract, he is making well over $5M a year. So if you are going to rant, at least use the correct numbers.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins