Can Sidney do it?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Can Sidney do it?

Postby Stevens25 on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:07 pm

Chances are that Ovechkin will win the Calder trophy,but Sidney still has a chance to reach the 100 point mark and maybe even beat Mario's franchise record for most points by a rookie. Can he do it? I believe he needs 15 points in the remaining 8 games.
Stevens25

Re: Can Sidney do it?

Postby Scott on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:14 pm

Stevens25 wrote:Chances are that Ovechkin will win the Calder trophy,but Sidney still has a chance to reach the 100 point mark and maybe even beat Mario's franchise record for most points by a rookie. Can he do it? I believe he needs 15 points in the remaining 8 games.

Can he? YES. Will he? Probably not. MT's whatever you want to call it system is not offensive friendly.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:17 pm

Sidney really needs to have at least one big game to have a shot. A four point game in these last eight would go a long way towards helping him get to 100. The century mark would be nice, but I'll settle for a top ten finish. He's currently tenth in scoring, two points ahead of Brad Richards and one behind Pavel Datsyuk.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:17 pm

He is going to have to get a couple huge games where he gets 4 points to make it. I just don't know if he can keep a 2 pt a game pace. He'll break 90 but 100 is pushing it. He'd be close to Ovechkin and 100 right now if he would have been on the PP to start the year. Stupid decision to have our best player riding the bench on the PP.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:29 pm

He's got a great chance to score 40 goals though. I'll be honest, I did not expect that out of him. That's a pretty good accomplishment for a guy widely considered to be a playmaker (which he definitely is).
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FlyerNation on Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:50 pm

I don't think so but still amazing what the kid has done this year. I think he pushes the 100+ assist next season.
FlyerNation

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:58 pm

FlyerNation wrote:I don't think so but still amazing what the kid has done this year. I think he pushes the 100+ assist next season.

What happened to "Cindy" ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice to see you've come around FN! :D :D :D

100 assists next year? That would be awesome. Considering I'd expect 50+ at a minimum from Malkin.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby FlyerNation on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:13 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
FlyerNation wrote:I don't think so but still amazing what the kid has done this year. I think he pushes the 100+ assist next season.

100 assists next year? That would be awesome. Considering I'd expect 50+ at a minimum from Malkin.

Never did I question his talent skill or say he wasn't a good player. Still don't like him, but I'm not going to take away from what he's done. Besides the season is almost done. Not much to get excited or trash talk now at this point especially with the Pens season ending real soon.

I think it's possible next year. Thorton has 81 so he won't reach it, but next season it's a possibility for Crosby to go at it. Forsberg was on a tear at one point this year averaging slightly over an assist a game. He'll never stay healthy enough to come close to the 100 mark. Crosby will though.
FlyerNation

Postby ExPatriatePen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:17 pm

Come on FN.. admit it... repeat after me, Crosby is the most talented 18 year old to break into the league since... :-) ;-)

Come on FN... you can do it! :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby guiner on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:24 pm

Highly unlikely. Checking the schedule, almost all the games are on the road and he is averaging a point per game on road. The plus side is he has games vs Philthadelphia and 2 vs Isles, which he has done very well against. But given the teams and situations down the road, it would take some huge huge games to get it done.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fast B on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:43 pm

guiner wrote:Highly unlikely. Checking the schedule, almost all the games are on the road and he is averaging a point per game on road. The plus side is he has games vs Philthadelphia and 2 vs Isles, which he has done very well against. But given the teams and situations down the road, it would take some huge huge games to get it done.

g

Odds are definitely not in Sid's favor, but I really hope he can hit 40 goals and 90 points. 40 goals as an 18 year old in this era would be incredible. How many did Nash have his rookie year? (I really don't remember.)
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:50 pm

Fast B wrote:
guiner wrote:Highly unlikely. Checking the schedule, almost all the games are on the road and he is averaging a point per game on road. The plus side is he has games vs Philthadelphia and 2 vs Isles, which he has done very well against. But given the teams and situations down the road, it would take some huge huge games to get it done.

g

Odds are definitely not in Sid's favor, but I really hope he can hit 40 goals and 90 points. 40 goals as an 18 year old in this era would be incredible. How many did Nash have his rookie year? (I really don't remember.)

goals 17
assists 22
Points 39
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jmh70 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:42 pm

If Crosby destroys the Isles like he usually does, he has a chance. He has to get at least 6 points in those two games in order to make up for the points he probably won't get against Philly and Florida.
jmh70

Postby guiner on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:36 pm

jmh70 wrote:If Crosby destroys the Isles like he usually does, he has a chance. He has to get at least 6 points in those two games in order to make up for the points he probably won't get against Philly and Florida.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/s ... yerId=3114

Crosby has 6 goals and 6 assists for 12 points in 7 games vs Philthy. That is the 3rd best PPG percentage for Crosby vs any team (behind Isles and Craps). And additionally, it is the most total points vs any team in the league.

g
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:00 pm

If he does we dont get Johnson.
NIN

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:52 pm

FlyerNation wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

Never did I question his talent skill or say he wasn't a good player. Still don't like him, but I'm not going to take away from what he's done. Besides the season is almost done. Not much to get excited or trash talk now at this point especially with the Pens season ending real soon.

I think it's possible next year. Thorton has 81 so he won't reach it, but next season it's a possibility for Crosby to go at it. Forsberg was on a tear at one point this year averaging slightly over an assist a game. He'll never stay healthy enough to come close to the 100 mark. Crosby will though.

I have to call you out on this. I swear you said either Carter or Richards would score more than Crosby and you said he'd be around 60 points, right? He's scored more than the two of them combined.

But looking at the Pens in a realistic view, Crosby will not get 100 assists in the near future. I'll say he might push 80 but that would be generous considering he still has no elite player to pass to. 100 assists is a remarkable feat, Mario has only did it once although Gretzky did it 11 times but Gretzky is a passing freak. But I'm not prepared to say Sid is close to Greztky. Sakic, Forsberg, Yzerman, LaFontaine, Howe, Francis...all never got to 100 assists.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FlyerNation on Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:34 am

DelPen wrote:
FlyerNation wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:

I have to call you out on this. I swear you said either Carter or Richards would score more than Crosby and you said he'd be around 60 points, right? He's scored more than the two of them combined.

But looking at the Pens in a realistic view, Crosby will not get 100 assists in the near future. I'll say he might push 80 but that would be generous considering he still has no elite player to pass to. 100 assists is a remarkable feat, Mario has only did it once although Gretzky did it 11 times but Gretzky is a passing freak. But I'm not prepared to say Sid is close to Greztky. Sakic, Forsberg, Yzerman, LaFontaine, Howe, Francis...all never got to 100 assists.

I have no problem with you calling me out on Carter and Richards. I did say one of them would keep pace with Cindy. First and foremost I underestimated Crosby. Never did I imagine he would mature as fast as he did and even then I never realized he was as skilled as he is. How many "Next Ones" have we seen over the years that didn't live up to the hype. Next Carter struggled till December to even get his legs under him from his battler with mono. Richards was only a third liner. Still even then I don't think they would have matched Crosby any ways. Carter has the potential to be a consistent 35-40 goal, 80 point guy in the future. Richards captain 25 70 guy. Crosby is going to be a 45 110. There is no comparison scoring wise.

Now having said that, I don't think I would say Crosby's rookie season has been any more successful in terms of progress for either. I think both Flyers rookies have done exactly what was expected of them and have grown into becoming key players on that team just like Crosby has. I in no way am dissapointed with either one especially Richards who is a warrior.

I admitted I was wrong on Crosby, but overall I was right more often than most here was with thier pre season predictions. I called more right that I got wrong.
FlyerNation

Postby NIN on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:09 am

RIchards is a smart hockey player but his hands cant keep up with his head. Carter has good skill but I dont think he is blessed with great hockey sense, he aint dumb but he isnt as clever as Richards either.
NIN

Postby FlyerNation on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:33 am

NIN wrote:RIchards is a smart hockey player but his hands cant keep up with his head. Carter has good skill but I dont think he is blessed with great hockey sense, he aint dumb but he isnt as clever as Richards either.

Well I agree to a point NIN. Right now Richards game smarts is far advanced than most his age. Like you said he's still that step behind though. He needs that one extra step to take his game to the next level. He's one deke move away from being dangerous.

Carter needs to develop his playmaking skills to add to his nose for the net. He thinks shoot way too much. If he can start to get that "sense" of his linemates like Crosby his game will be at a new level. His wrist shot is already lethal.
FlyerNation

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins