Lack of Passion/Intensity

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Lack of Passion/Intensity

Postby Old Time Hockey on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:37 pm

Where is the passion and intensity? There was none even though you would think there would be considering it is there first home game back from a road trip and they are playing Philly. Dress Ruutu and Armstrong for Recchi and Roberts tomorrow. At least they will bring some sort of intensity or passion hopefully.
Old Time Hockey
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,871
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:14 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Postby interstorm on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:44 pm

i'm sure the fact that this was their 5th game in 9 days (with another one coming tomorrow) and the first game back from a week on the road have nothing to do with it.

i'm sure all the LGP boo-birds kids will be out in force again...
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 857
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:53 pm
Location: From IglooReport - same user name

Postby wallflower on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:49 pm

Jake wrote:I don't see any less passion/intensity than the Flyers exhibited.

Same here.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:51 pm

wallflower wrote:
Jake wrote:I don't see any less passion/intensity than the Flyers exhibited.

Same here.


I think they showed passion and intensity... they just seemed to be horribly disorganized
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby wallflower on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:54 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
wallflower wrote:
Jake wrote:I don't see any less passion/intensity than the Flyers exhibited.

Same here.


I think they showed passion and intensity... they just seemed to be horribly disorganized

Exactly.

Add in a subpar game by the goalie and you get a loss. It happens.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:57 pm

They were completely out coached, out goalied, and out-played by a team with more seasoned players who played just as hard.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,441
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:35 am

Postby magnum on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:00 pm

wallflower wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
wallflower wrote:
Jake wrote:I don't see any less passion/intensity than the Flyers exhibited.

Same here.


I think they showed passion and intensity... they just seemed to be horribly disorganized

Exactly.

Add in a subpar game by the goalie and you get a loss. It happens.


Ditto

Also agree with JailNoise too
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,082
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:00 pm

JailNoise wrote:They were completely out coached - PERIOD


How you don't mind...but I fixed your quote for you... :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby KG on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:03 pm

First game home after a road trip is always tricky. If they don't come out hard tomorrow then I will be more upset.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,592
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Postby crzymike on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:05 pm

KG wrote:First game home after a road trip is always tricky. If they don't come out hard tomorrow then I will be more upset.
An mean while the fans who paid are the ones that suffer. There is no shame in losing if you put forth an honest effort. I didnt see the effort, long road trip or not!
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,912
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:41 pm
Location: monroeville

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 pm

Expatriot- Ha.

The Flyers system is superb and completely destroyed the Pen's system. It didn't help though that the Flyers have a lot more scoring depth, they're more physical, have a better a blue line, and a goalie that completely shuts down the Pens dumping and running.

Army probably should have been in the line-up tonight. Kennedy's good but young and kind of soft. It would have helped to have someone who can carry the puck into the offensive zone on the team.

Whitney might have been a help too on the PP.


There are going to be a lot of people crying about how horrible the Pens are. . . but I think the reality is that the Flyers might just be that good.

Although Therrien didn't seem to know how to respond systematically to the Flyers.

This is the sort of opposition the Pens are going to face in the playoffs. The top Eastern Conference teams this year are a lot scarier than last year.

Out of all the losses so far this year, I think the Pens might be able to take away the most from this one.

BTW Let's pray Fleury returns to form.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,441
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:35 am

Postby NJ5934 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:45 pm

wallflower wrote:
Jake wrote:I don't see any less passion/intensity than the Flyers exhibited.

Same here.


The Flyers didn't have to be physical, they took this game from the start.

Typically the home team comes out banging in an attempt to get the fans into the game, or even the trailing team that is trying to spark something and lift their play. The Pens didn't see the need for either tonight.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,963
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:33 pm
Location: Toms River, NJ

Postby soljaheas on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:07 pm

wallflower wrote:
ExPatriatePen wrote:
wallflower wrote:
Jake wrote:I don't see any less passion/intensity than the Flyers exhibited.

Same here.


I think they showed passion and intensity... they just seemed to be horribly disorganized

Exactly.

Add in a subpar game by the goalie and you get a loss. It happens.


I would say turnovers in your own end is what cost them the game.
soljaheas
 

Postby Noise on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:31 pm

Expect Crosby to explode tomorrow night. He's gotta be pissed that he made the giveaway on that 1st goal.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,441
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:35 am

Postby pens#1 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:39 pm

crosby bad the turnover against the islanders that lead to their 1st of 3 against them on saturday night
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,911
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: allentown

Postby Easton on Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:49 pm

I think they showed passion and intensity. Problem is, they just sucked - basically. I expect a big showing tomorrow.
Easton
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,657
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 4:12 am

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:50 am

From watching the game, I think they showed passion and intensity. The Flyers just scored two more goals than the Pens. I didn't see the Pens giving up.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,356
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:56 pm

Postby booboo on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:58 am

JailNoise wrote:Expatriot- Ha.
Out of all the losses so far this year, I think the Pens might be able to take away the most from this one.


They would take away more by watching the kids play in the intermission
who have shown more passion for the game than Pens and Flyers combined.

I am worried about the Pens. I just don't get why they have to play such
a boring kind of hockey for 2/3 of each (well, maybe I'd take out one or two
from this count) game played this season. They should be having fun!
Instead, they look like playing hockey was just a job.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,216
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:06 pm

Postby penny lane on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:40 am

JailNoise wrote:They were completely out coached, out goalied, and out-played by a team with more seasoned players who played just as hard.


Not ready for beginning of the game, yes~ even though
they should have known what the flyers were about
from their loss to the nyr. Out-goalied; 2 goals on 3 shots
in 5 mins, pretty much. But Sidney did have a poor turnover...
another game he is off to score a goal, just not last night.

Power play is missing Ryan Whitney.

as Brooks Orpik was quoted, in the 3rd flyers playing a
trap like the old njd.

pens didn't quit, they had shots, just not enough quality shots.
Biron made a few good saves when he had too. pretty much a goalie's
job description, makes the saves you have to. :)

out-coached, Sidney and Evgeni should start every power play unless
they are injured.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 33,639
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:29 pm
Location: 3 peat, yeah I said it!

Postby CKA24 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:06 am

Truly Penny... why wasn't Sid out there with Malkin as soon as the power play started? And why isn't JS getting pp time? That's one way to spark a guy...

And for all of you Whitney haters? We need this kid badly... really badly... Even I underestimated his contribution to this team...

And there's no way I would have benched Kennedy last night. Calling the kid soft? He was the one player who put it all on the line every shift. Could he stand to get a bit bigger? Sure... but he moved with speed (without the puck too! something the Pens were incapable of the entire night), and took hits!

And that's another thing: too many guys were trying to avoid hits all night long. I expect it from Gonchar now, but Staal even was trying to avoid hits. Sure, play smart and try not to get destroyed by the opposing team, but sometimes you need to control the puck, get it up to another player, and absorb the hit...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,703
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:23 am
Location: Harrison City, Pa

Postby ExPatriatePen on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:49 am

After sleeping on it... I think I figured out what the pens were doing last night... They'd paid attention to the Colorado and Islanders games and mistakenly thought that the way to win games was to spot the opposition a two goal lead. :-) :-)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Jimmy66 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:14 pm

JailNoise wrote:Expatriot- Ha.

The Flyers system is superb and completely destroyed the Pen's system. It didn't help though that the Flyers have a lot more scoring depth, they're more physical, have a better a blue line, and a goalie that completely shuts down the Pens dumping and running.

Army probably should have been in the line-up tonight. Kennedy's good but young and kind of soft. It would have helped to have someone who can carry the puck into the offensive zone on the team.

Whitney might have been a help too on the PP.


There are going to be a lot of people crying about how horrible the Pens are. . . but I think the reality is that the Flyers might just be that good.

Although Therrien didn't seem to know how to respond systematically to the Flyers.

This is the sort of opposition the Pens are going to face in the playoffs. The top Eastern Conference teams this year are a lot scarier than last year.

Out of all the losses so far this year, I think the Pens might be able to take away the most from this one.

BTW Let's pray Fleury returns to form.


I agree with your post. The Flyers are truly that good this year. I wouldn't be suprised to see them represent the east for the cup this year.
Jimmy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:25 pm
Location: Calgary, AB

Postby Corvidae on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:28 pm

penny lane wrote:
JailNoise wrote:They were completely out coached, out goalied, and out-played by a team with more seasoned players who played just as hard.


Not ready for beginning of the game, yes~ even though
they should have known what the flyers were about
from their loss to the nyr. Out-goalied; 2 goals on 3 shots
in 5 mins, pretty much. But Sidney did have a poor turnover...
another game he is off to score a goal, just not last night.

Power play is missing Ryan Whitney.

as Brooks Orpik was quoted, in the 3rd flyers playing a
trap like the old njd.

pens didn't quit, they had shots, just not enough quality shots.
Biron made a few good saves when he had too. pretty much a goalie's
job description, makes the saves you have to. :)

out-coached, Sidney and Evgeni should start every power play unless
they are injured.

Gotta ask ya, Penny. Why are all of your posts spaced so strangely?
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,111
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:47 am

Postby Noise on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Sidney's turnover was pretty much engineered by the Flyer's system. Briere in front of him, a wing closing in behind him to trap him in- nowhere to go, nowhere to pass, and not at the red line yet
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,441
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:35 am


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FLPensFan, IAmScore, pekkasteele, Puck-Lurker and 13 guests


e-mail