Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Should the Pens send Staal to WBS for a bit?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Should the Pens send Staal to WBS for a bit?

Postby Sabres_Fan on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:37 am

He has a ton of potential but needs to get it going offensively. If he didnt have that breakout rookie year I think he would of been sent down already. I dont mean to send him down permanently but just until he scores some points down there. With then Pens having 4 natural centers already on the roster I dont think it would hurt the team all that much. He just needs a fire lit under his butt.
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Pittsburgh, pa (via Buffalo in a little town known as Pominville)

Postby cojac on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:42 am

No, just play him as the 2nd line LW or the 3rd/4th line center, and he is an excellent pker
cojac
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PensBeerGeek on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:43 am

We can't send Staal to the AHL....he can only be released to Peterborough (remember that he's a year behind Letang), which would mean he'd be gone for the year.

I disagree with the point of the thread, btw.....he's playing amazing defense and remains the best penalty killer on the team....with these kinds of contribution, he'll come around.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens#1 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:43 am

NO
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:45 am

Hes is doing a good job on the PK...id rather see him peak in april/may/june rather than oct/nov.
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby crzymike on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:47 am

He's certainly been a big disappointment thus far. Maybe reduce his minutes. Hes still good on the PK.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Sabres_Fan on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:52 am

PensBeerGeek wrote:We can't send Staal to the AHL....he can only be released to Peterborough (remember that he's a year behind Letang), which would mean he'd be gone for the year.

I disagree with the point of the thread, btw.....he's playing amazing defense and remains the best penalty killer on the team....with these kinds of contribution, he'll come around.

I thought he was past that already. I thought players past 18 could sign AHL deals. Oh well Im not a hockey lawyer.
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sabres_Fan on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:53 am

crzymike wrote:He's certainly been a big disappointment thus far. Maybe reduce his minutes. Hes still good on the PK.

I wouldnt call him a disappointment as of yet. He just set the bar a bit high with his performance last year, but yes a 2nd line center should have more than 2 points this far into the deason.
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensBeerGeek on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:58 am

Sabres_Fan wrote:
PensBeerGeek wrote:We can't send Staal to the AHL....he can only be released to Peterborough (remember that he's a year behind Letang), which would mean he'd be gone for the year.

I thought he was past that already. I thought players past 18 could sign AHL deals. Oh well Im not a hockey lawyer.

You still have overage eligibility until you turn 20. Staal will not be eligible for the AHL until Peterborough is eliminated from the OHL/Memorial Cup playoffs this year.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sabres_Fan on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:15 am

I didnt know his exact DOB until now. 9-10-08. He just barely made the draft then last year.
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:19 am

just put him in the best place to succeed and end this experiment.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:06 am

You still have overage eligibility until you turn 20. Staal will not be eligible for the AHL until Peterborough is eliminated from the OHL/Memorial Cup playoffs this year.

This is actually an interesting question, because the age rule does not apply if you have completed 4 years of junior hockey (like Jason Spezza). Staal completed 3, and then was in the NHL last year. If there isn't an exception built in I think one would have to be made, as it would not make sense that his NHL year would determine whether or not he could go to the AHL.

As to the original question, he should be put in a position to succeed, not sent out to the AHL or anywhere else.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:32 am

pfim wrote:

This is actually an interesting question, because the age rule does not apply if you have completed 4 years of junior hockey (like Jason Spezza). Staal completed 3, and then was in the NHL last year. If there isn't an exception built in I think one would have to be made, as it would not make sense that his NHL year would determine whether or not he could go to the AHL.

As to the original question, he should be put in a position to succeed, not sent out to the AHL or anywhere else.

The rule definitely says he would have to go back to juniors. It's an agreement with the Canadien Junior leagues. What interest would Peterborough have in making an exception, not to mention it's a contractual obligation? At the beginning of last season, the Hockey News listed all the players in the NHL with junior eligibility left. In other words, those who would have to be sent to Junoirs if sent down by the big club. The Pens had 3 guys listed. Staal, Letang, and Sidney Crosby! In other words, even after scoring 102 points in the NHL, Sid could only be sent to juniors as a 19 year old. There was no option to send him to the minors.

just put him in the best place to succeed and end this experiment.

I'm afraid it's not that easy. Jordan has played with Crosby and Malkin both at some point this season. This is not the coaching staff's fault. He's played frst line wing, second line wing and center, and third line center. He has produced at none. He's simply suffering through a major sophomore slump. Not unusual, hence the term. He just has to pop a couple in order to regain his confidence. Right now, that's the biggest thing lacking. He'll eventually be fine. The question is, when?
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:36 am

Staal isn't a liability at this point infact he brings decent defensive qualities. Sure he isn't scoring goals in bunches.. but with all the offensive punch the Pens already have, it is time the Pens develop a solid defensive forward.

Also keep in mind the kid and I do mean kid... is barely 19.

Staal is definitely not loosing games for the Pens. We have bigger fish to fry.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:41 am

No.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:45 am

Abso-friggin-lutely!!!

I have been saying this for a couple weeks now. It would serve several purposes:

1. It would help him regain his confidence. He looks totally lost out there offensively, and it would help him to play against lesser players for a few weeks.

2. it would send a message to the team that nobody is safe if they fail to perform up to expectations.

3. It would send a message to Staal that his play has been unacceptable.

4. It would open a spot for Colby in the lineup. Hopefully his benching will awaken him.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:45 am

but with all the offensive punch the Pens already have,

This should be a true statement, but it simply isn't. The Pens found out in the playoffs against Ottawa that their scoring depth was lacking. Nothing has changed that, and they've actually regressed with the problems of Staal, Roberts, Recchi and Christensen. They shouldn't have to rely on Staal, but, unfortunately, they must. He has the ability. That's obviuos, as he scored 29 as a rookie. However, he has to pick it up if this team is going to go anywhere this season. One goal in 15 games just doesn't cut it. He needs to start shooting!
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:47 am

Mad City Mike wrote:Abso-friggin-lutely!!!

I have been saying this for a couple weeks now. It would serve several purposes:

1. It would help him regain his confidence. He looks totally lost out there offensively, and it would help him to play against lesser players for a few weeks.

2. it would send a message to the team that nobody is safe if they fail to perform up to expectations.

3. It would send a message to Staal that his play has been unacceptable.

4. It would open a spot for Colby in the lineup. Hopefully his benching
will awaken him.

Remember, if you send him back to juniors, he can not come back until after Peterborough's season concludes. That's why there's no chance of that happening.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:49 am

MCM, I whole heartedly disagree.

Use him on the power play, let him get a gritty, dirty goal, and play him next to Malkin. He probably already knows that his play is unacceptable (ergo his lack of confidence).

If you're going to send a message by benching/demoting, bench Rex for a few games.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:50 am

The rule definitely says he would have to go back to juniors. It's an agreement with the Canadien Junior leagues. What interest would Peterborough have in making an exception, not to mention it's a contractual obligation? At the beginning of last season, the Hockey News listed all the players in the NHL with junior eligibility left. In other words, those who would have to be sent to Junoirs if sent down by the big club. The Pens had 3 guys listed. Staal, Letang, and Sidney Crosby! In other words, even after scoring 102 points in the NHL, Sid could only be sent to juniors as a 19 year old. There was no option to send him to the minors.

If he had played in the OHL last year he would have been eligible to play in the AHL this year. It just doesn't make sense to me, that because he spent last year in the NHL instead of the OHL, he would not be eligible. I've never seen the document (who has?) so I can't definitively comment on it one way or the other. It's all moot because Staal isn't going anywhere.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:52 am

CKA24 wrote:MCM, I whole heartedly disagree.

Use him on the power play, let him get a gritty, dirty goal, and play him next to Malkin. He probably already knows that his play is unacceptable (ergo his lack of confidence).

If you're going to send a message by benching/demoting, bench Rex for a few games.

I take the opposite view. Power play time needs to be earned, and he most certainly has not earned it.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:06 am

btw...Staal is on a 2-way contract. He can goto WBS.
Kovy27
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pfim on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:12 am

Kovy27 wrote:btw...Staal is on a 2-way contract. He can goto WBS.

The two-way contract isn't the issue, it's whether or not his junior eligibility was exhausted.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:13 am

Kovy27 wrote:btw...Staal is on a 2-way contract. He can goto WBS.

No, he can't. He still has junior eligibility left. And since when does a 2-way contract have anything to do with the ability to send a player to the minors?
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ushockeyteam1980 on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:31 am

pfim wrote:

Staal was only in Peterborough for 2 years, not 3. He can't be sent to Wilkes-Barre, and anyways, even if he could, I think it would be a bad idea because I don't think that would help his development at all. It's a sophomore slump, and it happens a lot. Give it some time, he'll get better. I'm sure he'll break out of it in the next few games.
ushockeyteam1980

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins